Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is Mustang competition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

The Question is:

"So what is Mustang competition?"

For my $.02 I will use the Mustang as the catagory template.

Catagory 1: Mustang GT $30-50K
Catagory 2: Mustang V6 $25-30K
Catagory 3: Mustang Factory Mod: $50-65K

Catagory 1: Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Challenger RT.
Take your pick (we obviously made ours). Raw V8 rumble, classic iconic styling. No losers here.

Catagory 2: Mustang V6, Camaro V6, Challenger V6, Honda V6 Coupe, Hyundai Genesis Coupe.
A good mix of performance and affordability. Since 2011, Mustang has been very competitive in this group. The Genesis may be the most nimble given it is the lightest of the group, but each car has its strength. The Honda would be more of a contender if it had rear drive, but it has outstanding reliability going for it. The Mustang is probably ahead by a nose due to its variety of modding options.

Catagory 3: Mustang Boss 302, Shelby GT500, Camaro ZL1, Audi S4 Quattro, BMW Series1 M, Mitsu Evo, WRX STi, Nismo 370Z.
The "bang for the buck" catagory. All the recient press has gone to the Shelby and ZL1, and rightly so. Where the WRX and Evo were once the hot cars to be seen in, the Shelby and Camaro are now in the spotlight. Gobs of power, the ability to actually corner at a race track and mucho top end for $60K make either one a can't miss (but the Stang looks so much meaner!). The German cars just lack the iconic appeal of the others. Maybe because basically they are luxury marques.

Out of catagory choices: Infinity G37S & Lexus GS350F. Luxo V6 Beemer wanna be's. Maybe when I retire......

Totaly out of the equation are the hot 4's: Mini Cooper S, Civic Si, SubiScion BRZFRS. Competion for Mustang? These are high-strung, buzzing scooters that are fun, but tough to live with. They are good slalom racers or twitchy lane changers, not Mustang subsitutes.

Clear winner? It depends which forum you subscribe to. Which makes for all the fun!

Last edited by GTjoe49; 08-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 PM
MnemonicGhost
1st Gear Member

Lol, yes, we all know the Mustang is the best! Especially on this board

But my question was more about what other vehicles could you compare against. Sure they all have differences, both pros and cons obviously. I did look at any competition, but kept coming back to the Mustang. Some of the ones I hadn't thought of was the Audi, BMW, Subaru and and Evo. None of those exactly work for me, at least at the same price point.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
MnemonicGhost
1st Gear Member

So what I considered:

Nissan 370z. Could be had for about the same price, but options up very quickly to exceed. Still a pure 2 seater, even though the Mustang rear seats aren't the most practical it still has them. I think they look great, but the lower horsepower was the final clincher. No Z for me.

Scion FR-S. You may notice a trend that is import, but that's not normally me. Still this thought exercise is all about at least exploring the options. Blind faith isn't trustworthy! So this is a new offering that seems pretty cheap, but half the engine and horsepower and a larger turning radius. Smaller interior too. More competition with the v6 or civic I think.

Camaro: Here's where I get a bit fanboyish. It's a chevy, it's looks great, but this is not the bumblebee I remember from my youth. Thanks Michael Bay for it's popularity, it does offer some band for buck competition. I'll be honest and say I like the exterior, but the interior is not acceptible to me. So no bowtie for me based on the horrendous blind spot visibility. Wish I had a heads up display however.

Challenger: Couldn't really make sense of the website to give an apples to apples comparison. Have read enough reviews and comparisons that the dodge may have avaialble HP, but not much else. I'm personally not a fan of the looks either. So that killed pretty early for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost
Lol, yes, we all know the Mustang is the best! Especially on this board

But my question was more about what other vehicles could you compare against. Sure they all have differences, both pros and cons obviously. I did look at any competition, but kept coming back to the Mustang. Some of the ones I hadn't thought of was the Audi, BMW, Subaru and and Evo. None of those exactly work for me, at least at the same price point.
I knew what you meant, I just felt like it needed to be said

There are many cars that rival the Mustang in terms of performance. It's all in what you want. I love rear wheel drive/high horsepower applications aka Mustang. I looked at several Camaros prior to my purchase but they didn't fit (or I didn't lol) so I turned my focus to the Mustangs. I went to look at an '04 Mach 1 and walked away with a '06 GT. So happy I did because I LOVE this car and for it to be my FIRST car means the world to me. I will never let this car go (barring extreme life altering situation). Didn't even entertain other options when I purchased the '04 GT. I knew exactly what I wanted and got it at a GREAT price. Practically stole the car.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Beersnob5150
1st Gear Member

Even though they are a few years old, a 2005-2006 GTO was very close to sitting in my driveway. I had one a few years ago, but it just wasn't the car I remember it being. It felt very uncomfortable. I love my GT and won't ever look back.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Used GT500...a lot of potential with factory F/I