Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake Fluid Change

Ok I have heard that it's not recommended to run DOT 5 in these cars, but most of that was because it's not the best for the ABS module. However my car doesn't have ABS. I am going to be installing new stainless lines here shortly and I will have to replace some of the fluid anyhow so I figured why not just replace it all. Anyone gone with DOT 5 in theirs?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I don't have the answer but am interested in it. I have never been impressed with the brakes on my mustang. Seems like there is a half second delay when applying them. Even with upgraded pads and rotors it feels slow to react. I have always wondered if stainless lines would improve that issue.

How come you don't have ABS?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

Some of the lower base model v6's did not get ABS if im not mistaken. I know I do not have it either. My car was a "deluxe" package I believe it was the most basic you could get.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Could you tell us why you are considering DOT 5? It has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 or DOT 4, but do you need that? DOT 5 has some advantages and some disadvantages. Silicone is compressible, so you will have a slightly "softer" pedal. It does not absorb water, but if any water does get into the brake system, it puddles in one place and can damage the hydraulics. Also, DOT 5 tends to have lots of air bubbles, and bleeding can be a frustrating task. It's not as easy as bleeding a system with DOT 3 or DOT 4.

Maybe look into DOT 5.1 if you don't think either DOT 3 or DOT 4 is suitable for your use. This is really not designated the way many people think it should be. It is not silicone based, and it would be less confusing to call it DOT 4.1. It may be difficult to find, as not many people use it.

I think you could be opening a can of worms if you switch to DOT 5.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:58 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I'm running DOT 4 with a BBK with no issues. Unless you are tracking the car constantly, you would not need DOT 5. DOT 4 works well.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
Ok I have heard that it's not recommended to run DOT 5 in these cars, but most of that was because it's not the best for the ABS module. However my car doesn't have ABS. I am going to be installing new stainless lines here shortly and I will have to replace some of the fluid anyhow so I figured why not just replace it all. Anyone gone with DOT 5 in theirs?
If you are looking for better performance, DO NOT go with DOT 5 fluid. Here is a pretty good article on brake fluid. http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/fluid.shtml

The big problem is that if you change to DOT 5, it is almost impossible to get it out of the brake system if you try to convert back.

The best fluid I know of (at least for a somewhat reasonable price) is the Ate Blue or Amber racing fluid http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...cat=BrakeFluid Ate makes it in two colors, so when you are doing a system flush you can use the opposite color. That way you will see when the old fluid is flushed out of the system when doing the flush. It's a great idea.

Start with the Blue (unless you live in Florida. Blue brake fluid is illegal there). You probably have an amber fluid in the car already. So, using the blue fluid, you will see when the old fluid is flushed.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I don't have the answer but am interested in it. I have never been impressed with the brakes on my mustang. Seems like there is a half second delay when applying them. Even with upgraded pads and rotors it feels slow to react. I have always wondered if stainless lines would improve that issue.
I don't have them on my Stang yet, but I do have them on my 911. The braided steel lines give a much better feel. I will change over to the steel lines when I do the first brake work on the Stang. They are far superior. I'm sure you will like them.

BTW, the difference between the DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 fluids is the wet boiling point. The wet boiling point only matters if you keep the fluid in the car without flushing for a long time (more than a year). For performance, the dry boiling point is what matters. Some of the best racing fluids out there are DOT 3 fluids.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:00 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Think I may be in love with this.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
If you are looking for better performance, DO NOT go with DOT 5 fluid. Here is a pretty good article on brake fluid. http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/fluid.shtml

Great article. Thanks for sharing!