Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Mustang GT Brakes Chirping Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM
rlink

Default 2008 Mustang GT Brakes Chirping Sound

Hi. I have taken my car back to the dealer (4) times for a chirping sound coming from the front brakes when applied lightly. Very annoying soung. After charging me for new brake pads at 24,000 miles, the noise came right back. The last time they kept the car for two days and appied grease to pins or something like that and it was good for about 4 weeks and now is back. Today, after there tech spoke with Ford, Ford says its normal to hear that. If that is so, why didn't I hear it for the first three years I owned the car, why doesn't my wife's car do it, whay has no other car I have ever owned done it? They had no answers so I have filed a claim now with Ford. Anyone else had this issue or any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

sounds to me like your rotors may have developed a slight lip from wear over the years.

this is normal, and you could have your rotors turned on a lathe to get them back to a completely even surface.

without looking at it I am just speculating so don't take my word as the absolute answer.. but any reason you insist on going to the dealer when they are not providing you with quality service? I bet you a performance shop or a brake shop would have diagnosed this a lot quicker, and you are not likely going to receive warranty work on a wear item.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM
rlink

Originally Posted by Entaille
sounds to me like your rotors may have developed a slight lip from wear over the years.

this is normal, and you could have your rotors turned on a lathe to get them back to a completely even surface.

without looking at it I am just speculating so don't take my word as the absolute answer.. but any reason you insist on going to the dealer when they are not providing you with quality service? I bet you a performance shop or a brake shop would have diagnosed this a lot quicker, and you are not likely going to receive warranty work on a wear item.
Thanks for the response, I am going to try someone else who specializes in brakes. I went back to the dealer because the brake pads I paid for didn't solve the issue and I thought they should stand by their work. How does a dealer tell a customer to just learn to live with it............?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

they really should stand behind their work, but if they are trying to tell you it's normal, they are more or less blowing you off because they can't figure it out. did you try speaking with upper management there? not just in the service department, but speaking to the GM or another high ranking person at the dealership?

it sucks - maybe your claim with Ford will get you a better response, but you may be able to get resolution quicker elsewhere.

word of mouth goes a long ways when there are bad experiences. if you speak with upper management and they aren't willing to help, you can always hit them where it hurts.. leave negative reviews on google reviews, yelp, dex knows etc.. customers will see this sort of thing when they are looking em up.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 AM
rlink

they really should stand behind their work, but if they are trying to tell you it's normal, they are more or less blowing you off because they can't figure it out. did you try speaking with upper management there? not just in the service department, but speaking to the GM or another high ranking person at the dealership?

it sucks - maybe your claim with Ford will get you a better response, but you may be able to get resolution quicker elsewhere.

word of mouth goes a long ways when there are bad experiences. if you speak with upper management and they aren't willing to help, you can always hit them where it hurts.. leave negative reviews on google reviews, yelp, dex knows etc.. customers will see this sort of thing when they are looking em up.
We're on the same page as I did go to upper management (Owner) who was in a meeting for two hours so I left a message with his assistant and I left a voice mail. When I called back three hours later, I was told he left for the weekend....Decided I will bring it to someone else who can hopefully figure it out and appreciate your comments.....Happy Thanksgiving to you.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:26 AM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Here's a thought:
On my GMC truck W/4 wheel disk brakes, the rears started making "chirping" sounds.
I'd replaced the rotors with Powerslots a few years ago and living in the rust belt, they were beginning to corrode.
Once I took the calipers off, I saw that the chirping was the outside circumference of the rotors (on both sides) contacting the spring clips on the calipers.
I removed the rotors and ground down the O.D. a bit using a bench grinder. I then bent the clips a bit outward to avoid further rotor contact.
Problem solved.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
PullTab

After I painted my calipers(including the backs of the pads) all my brake noises went away. Squeeling, and chirping gone! It's been like 9 months. I used the Duplicolor brush on kit. I'd guess the paint acts like a damper.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rlink
Hi. I have taken my car back to the dealer (4) times for a chirping sound coming from the front brakes when applied lightly. Very annoying soung. After charging me for new brake pads at 24,000 miles, the noise came right back. The last time they kept the car for two days and appied grease to pins or something like that and it was good for about 4 weeks and now is back. Today, after there tech spoke with Ford, Ford says its normal to hear that...
Hi rlink,

I'm happy to jump in here and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll look into some options.

Thanks!

without looking at it I am just speculating so don't take my word as the absolute answer...
Originally Posted by slipperman
Here's a thought:
On my GMC truck W/4 wheel disk brakes, the rears started making "chirping" sounds.
I'd replaced the rotors with Powerslots a few years ago and living in the rust belt, they were beginning to corrode.
Once I took the calipers off, I saw that the chirping was the outside circumference of the rotors (on both sides) contacting the spring clips on the calipers.
I removed the rotors and ground down the O.D. a bit using a bench grinder. I then bent the clips a bit outward to avoid further rotor contact.
Problem solved.
Originally Posted by PullTab
After I painted my calipers(including the backs of the pads) all my brake noises went away. Squeeling, and chirping gone! It's been like 9 months. I used the Duplicolor brush on kit. I'd guess the paint acts like a damper.
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice!

Have a great weekend,
Crystal