Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my BAMA 91R tune, I can't stop smiling

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
I enjoy driving the car. I don't have to hot rod it to feel good about it. It's fast enough stock that I really don't miss the blower I had on my other Mustang. I didn't drive the other one that hard either. I suppose that's what happens when you "mature". I wanted to have a way to adjust the speedometer- that's a pet peeve of mine. I hate knowing it's off.

Frank
I was reading this post and had to respond after seeing this. Maturity has nothing to do with how you push your fun car. You're either a true muscle car guy or just an wana be, that's my view. I just turned 59 years old yesterday, I have a 08 Mustang with LOTS of mods and a blower making 600 HP. I drive it like I stole it and enjoy every minute.. I'll be doing that till I can't drive anymore or they put me in the ground (with the car, lol).

I have a friend of mine who has a 09 Dodge Challenger and drives it like he has an egg between his right foot and the accelerator. He is a true wana be muscle car guy. Never got his hands dirty, built an engine, swapped trannies or anything a true muscle car guy would do.

That's my two cents anyway, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just my view.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:13 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I was reading this post and had to respond after seeing this. Maturity has nothing to do with how you push your fun car. You're either a true muscle car guy or just an wana be, that's my view. I just turned 59 years old yesterday, I have a 08 Mustang with LOTS of mods and a blower making 600 HP. I drive it like I stole it and enjoy every minute.. I'll be doing that till I can't drive anymore or they put me in the ground (with the car, lol).

I have a friend of mine who has a 09 Dodge Challenger and drives it like he has an egg between his right foot and the accelerator. He is a true wana be muscle car guy. Never got his hands dirty, built an engine, swapped trannies or anything a true muscle car guy would do.

That's my two cents anyway, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just my view.
Not wanting to get in a pissing contest... but I am 63 years old and would still have my blown '08 manual if not for left knee problems. Listed is only the partial list of mods to that car. I did everything myself, from oil changes on up. The car was at the dealer only once for a warranty item in 68,000 miles. I've always been the hot rod type and getting tickets doesn't do that much for me anymore. I've decided to cool it, but I can still enjoy the performance at times.

How did we get here? I originally posted that I was not that impressed with the BAMA tunes I got with my SCT!

Frank

Last edited by duckbubbles; 12-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

This thread gets me exited! Glad your digging your tune. Steeda told me my tuner should be here by Tuesday! I only run 93 octane so thats the tune I went with. I cant wait. Hope I enjoy mine as much as you seem to enjoy yours!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HKSkook
This thread gets me exited! Glad your digging your tune. Steeda told me my tuner should be here by Tuesday! I only run 93 octane so thats the tune I went with. I cant wait. Hope I enjoy mine as much as you seem to enjoy yours!
If this is your first tune, you're going to love it. Get ready for more gas money! Because you won't want to stop.. lol
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Shane, I plan on keeping the tuner for speedo correction if for nothing else. Wide open throttle is good but I don't drive it like that much at all. I couldn't tell much difference between stock and 91 street tune with my automatic. The race tune ran ok but I didn't care for the shift points when driving normally- too abrupt and hanging in gear too long. I was hoping for some better gas mileage, but saw no actual difference. Cold starts would have the engine feeling and sounding like it is missing/running rough until it warmed up some.

My main complaint about the stock program is with the downshift strategy. At highway speeds, increasing throttle, it will downshift to 5th, keep adding throttle and it would suddenly downshift to 3rd or 2nd. Why not progress through 4th? The BAMA tune did nothing about that.

Frank

Frank,

I'm sorry you weren't that impressed with our Bama tune. As I mentioned, we can make adjustments to the shifting styles of any one of your custom tunes. If you're interested in giving us a chance to make adjustments, I'm sure we'll be able to get your custom Street tune to preform more to your liking than stock!

Send me your order number if you decide to go this route!

Shane
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

So... Who with a 2013 has tried a tuner? So far from what I've been reading throughout the forum (including duckbubbles' comments), people with 2011/2012 models love it, while 2013 owners seem to be "unimpressed" - I'm leaning towards that this must have to do with the fact that Ford tuned the 2013 year model to gain that extra ~12hp from stock, as such (this is all assumption and guessing BTW!) the tunes that worked great for people with the 2011/2012's is simply not working well for people with 2013s... It's a shame because I was planning on getting a tuner as I *loved* what one did for my 2001 GT Convertible, I guess I'll wait till there are some updates to the tuning for 2013 models before dropping excess of $350
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Shane, I plan on keeping the tuner for speedo correction if for nothing else. Wide open throttle is good but I don't drive it like that much at all. I couldn't tell much difference between stock and 91 street tune with my automatic. The race tune ran ok but I didn't care for the shift points when driving normally- too abrupt and hanging in gear too long. I was hoping for some better gas mileage, but saw no actual difference. Cold starts would have the engine feeling and sounding like it is missing/running rough until it warmed up some.

My main complaint about the stock program is with the downshift strategy. At highway speeds, increasing throttle, it will downshift to 5th, keep adding throttle and it would suddenly downshift to 3rd or 2nd. Why not progress through 4th? The BAMA tune did nothing about that.

Frank
I feel the same ways about the street tune and race tunes. That's why I settled on the Performance tune.

The Street tune is just a bit of tweaking on the stock tune with firming up the shifting some. Race is too much for me in terms of abrupt throttle. The performance tune (middle of the three) seems good to me, that's on my 08 auto though (5 spd).
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
jonb2

I purchased tunes for my 2013 V6 auto and thought it made a big difference. I have several tunes from Bama all the way from 87 street up thru 91 race/hybrid. I noticed a big improvement in the driveability and shifting over stock even with the basic 87 street tune.

Right now I'm switching between a few of them to decide on what I really want for the long-term, but I think the tunes were a great upgrade to my vehicle.
Jon
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Not to try and thread jack, but I've wanted one of these, primarily because my check engine light is one because my rear o2 sensors are deleted hahaha. Can anyone tell me how compatible these things are with superchargers and if there are any negative effects (besides lead foot syndrome) to programming? Glad you like it though!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

love seeing the results and thoughts on tunes always interesting!