Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I keep breaking wheel studs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

copy n paste from a car forum

as i have previously worked as a wheel fitter at an after market parts shop i can tell you spiggot rings are a MUST.

i take it by you saying you dont notice the differance that you must either not drive quick at all.....

basically if you havent got spiggot rings fitted in aftermarket wheels, at 70MPH (on motorways) as most cases are you will start to feel a vibration through the steering wheel. as the speed increases the vibration will get worse, this is because as it was correctly said earlier that the wheels without spiggot rings may seem like they are on correctly but they will be sitting off centre and therefore you may aswell be driving on egg shaped tyres.

this is dangerous becuse it can cause the car to react differently at higher speeds and will be very uncomfortable (i know as i have had it myself)

you are correct that they do help centre the wheel on the hub but they do serve a greater purpose. the technician at the garage may not of told you about it as they are quite often overlooked as they are not a standard part

P34NUT's recomendation of the day..... go out and get yourself a set. they are cheap as chips. make sure they are exactly the correct size as they do come in decimals of a MM

i hope this helps mate
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 AM
jeremy813
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FrostByte
Because u said u had nuts bottoming out means either the studs are to long & run out of threads or the wheel isnt thick enough. Either way you need spacers. I bet even tho you torqued the wheels they wernt really tight because of the nuts bottoming out. This gives you wobble & stress to break the studs. IMHO. spacers. Tinnerman nuts are not the prob.
I am not sure if they are bottoming out yet. I need to get some paint and put the wheels back on to test it out. They are stock studs and the lugnuts are pretty long. I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

I'll test it tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeremy813
2013 V6
Wheels: Vorshlag D-Force 18 x 10
Lugs: McGard 06400 - 1/2
Torqued to 85 or 90 ft/lbs, can't remember.
Camber - Around 2.3* negative

Studs are breaking while driving. I have had these wheels on for about 10 months and have not touched the lugs since originally installing them. I had one stud break on the front right wheel a few months ago, then today I noticed 1 was broken on the front left wheel.

Do I have the wrong lug nuts or something?
Lug nuts shouldn't break under normal use - even autocross. There is something not allowing the wheels/lugs to seat properly when you torque them. While I don't doubt other posters here, I have used after market wheels without any kind of spacers and have never had a problem.

While you are at it, I would check the tolerance of the wheels and make sure that they are in spec.

Are they cheap wheels? Maybe the materials used flex enough to put additional stress on the lugs.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I've used hub rings (spiggot rings) on after market wheels I had on mine...

I got them here, if anyone is interested...

http://www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
jeremy813
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr

Thanks. I might get some.

I checked the lugs, other than having a very small seat, they appear to be working correctly. I saw more evidence of the tinnerman nuts causing an extremely small mating surface in the rear. With the least amount of mating surface right next to the stud with the tinnerman nut on it, the one that most recently broken.

So even though a couple people have said that tinnerman nuts won't cause a break. I think THAT combined with no hub rings, and using "tuner" lugs with a small seat is what caused the extra stress.

BTW, just to make all the hub ring fans mad. I just ordered some 8mm sandwich spacers for the stock wheels. So now I am losing the hubcentricity of the stock wheels also.

I am going to use the the stock wheels (v6 performance package 19's) for a while. So I probably won't have any more updates soon.
Thanks everyone.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr

at last a dude that talks sense..again both my stangs with aftermaket wheels was undrivable over 80 mph..
you will be shocked what 4 pieces of 50 dollar plastic can do...
Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeremy813
Thanks. I might get some.

I checked the lugs, other than having a very small seat, they appear to be working correctly. I saw more evidence of the tinnerman nuts causing an extremely small mating surface in the rear. With the least amount of mating surface right next to the stud with the tinnerman nut on it, the one that most recently broken.

So even though a couple people have said that tinnerman nuts won't cause a break. I think THAT combined with no hub rings, and using "tuner" lugs with a small seat is what caused the extra stress.

BTW, just to make all the hub ring fans mad. I just ordered some 8mm sandwich spacers for the stock wheels. So now I am losing the hubcentricity of the stock wheels also.

I am going to use the the stock wheels (v6 performance package 19's) for a while. So I probably won't have any more updates soon.
Thanks everyone.
Are the spacers you ordered hub centric?

Also something I needed for the after market wheels I had were 5 mm spacers. I tried some that weren't hub centric and they were a PITA to get centered, which if not centered will cause vibration. I'm pretty sure you can get some from Stang Suspension or have them made as I did because I couldn't find 5 mm spacers for a Mustang...

http://wheeladapter.com

I emailed Fred Goeske and told him what I needed, great to deal with and he fixed me right up.

With that said, I'd suggest you make sure the spacers you ordered are hub centric.