Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick input needed before tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Default Quick input needed before tomorrow...

Finally got around to taking my car to the dealership for this issue:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ion-noise.html

Got a call from them this afternoon right before closing time. They claim that my shifter is bent and the bushings are very visibly worn. I bought the car with 30K miles (now at 50K). I'm guessing this was present when I bought the car since I thought and was told that the rough shifting and noise was all part of the "mustang ownership"

They pointed out to me that how close to the bezel the shifter is when in 1st/2nd compared to another car. I've worn the leather off a 1" section of the bezel from shifting. They can't make any guarantees that the rattling noise is coming from the shifter but it is the only problem they could find so it is the first solution.

Now, my car is sitting in their garage overnight until they can call my extended warranty holders to see if the repair will be covered. Parts and labor will come out to $624

If the warranty covers it, I'm guessing it makes since to let them give me a new OEM shifter. If it does NOT, what are my options?

Is it worth the coin to just be done with this problem that has plagued me for 2 years or should I just pay the dealership their $96 Diagnostics fee and take it home? Maybe I could pick up a short throw and try to so the install myself.

Do the aftermarket shifters re-use any oem parts or are they entirely new assemblies? The only downside to saving the money and getting the short throw is if it doesn't cure the rattle problem. I'll be back to square one. On the other hand, if Ford does the repair with no change, they will keep looking.

He is calling me back in the morning for my decision. Give a fella some advice...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

post moved to PM

Last edited by vixr; 08-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
Finally got around to taking my car to the dealership for this issue:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ion-noise.html

Got a call from them this afternoon right before closing time. They claim that my shifter is bent and the bushings are very visibly worn. I bought the car with 30K miles (now at 50K). I'm guessing this was present when I bought the car since I thought and was told that the rough shifting and noise was all part of the "mustang ownership"

They pointed out to me that how close to the bezel the shifter is when in 1st/2nd compared to another car. I've worn the leather off a 1" section of the bezel from shifting. They can't make any guarantees that the rattling noise is coming from the shifter but it is the only problem they could find so it is the first solution.

Now, my car is sitting in their garage overnight until they can call my extended warranty holders to see if the repair will be covered. Parts and labor will come out to $624

If the warranty covers it, I'm guessing it makes since to let them give me a new OEM shifter. If it does NOT, what are my options?

Is it worth the coin to just be done with this problem that has plagued me for 2 years or should I just pay the dealership their $96 Diagnostics fee and take it home? Maybe I could pick up a short throw and try to so the install myself.

Do the aftermarket shifters re-use any oem parts or are they entirely new assemblies? The only downside to saving the money and getting the short throw is if it doesn't cure the rattle problem. I'll be back to square one. On the other hand, if Ford does the repair with no change, they will keep looking.

He is calling me back in the morning for my decision. Give a fella some advice...
MGW Short Throw, The single best Modification I've done to my baby and I'd do it again and again and again!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

If you (or friend) are mechanically inclined, just get an aftermarket Barton or MGW shifter and do the install yourself for about half the cost. These two are the absolute best on the market today and come with all new stuff. If not on warrantee, Dealership will gouge you...!!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

MGW short throw.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Pay $96 and take the car home. Buy an aftermarket short-throw shifter. You should have one anyways! Hopefully, that is the actual problem. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Do they make short shifters that use the stock **** and leather boot?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Sil^er_Hunter

You could definitely find an aftermarket shifter, install it yourself and save a lot of money in the process :-)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

If it's not covered, I'd ask the Dealer how much to install an MGW. It's there already and they might as well change the trans fluid too.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Well, the warranty didn't cover the shifter. I brought the car back home and have located (thanks to a stand-up guy out there) an OEM shifter that I will be putting back in the car for now. I have a couple of other maintenance things to do that puts a short throw out of reach for the time being.

Quick Reply: Quick input needed before tomorrow...