Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Racing Header Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Tang_and_Stang

Default American Racing Header Quality Issues

Need some advice here guys. Recently started to start modding my baby. At the advice of others, and from cruising a few forums, a lot of people steered my towards American Racing Headers. Unfortunately, I have been back and forth with the vendor twice, and both sets have had fitment issues. Apparently there is some sort of hiccup with their new facility. Either way, I don't care. I am ready to try another company, which sucks because I heard so many great things about them. I need some other recommendations. Price isn't a huge concern. I want: Power, fit & finish, and ready to ship. Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

American Racing Headers? Never heard of them.

Kooks makes the highest quality and probably provides the biggest power gain but, they are expensive. Pypes is one I would recommend staying away from, they have fitment issues.

You should check out either American Muscle or Late Model Restoration for headers. They both carry a pretty good selection of headers proven on the Mustangs.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ARH are known for having great quality headers
I dont have them myself, but just what i hear.
Kooks are top notch. great reputation.

I have BBK.
not known for the best of the best.
but it was a decently priced header.
I've had 3 of their headers on 3 different Mustangs, no problem with any of them.
my current 2007 has BBK's for the past 5 years no problem.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

BBK is good for the price, but if you want ultimate quality over anything else, it has to be stainless works. I've got my eyes on a set in the near future for sure. The great thing about Stainless works is that they have TWO sets of long tube headers. First one listed here is all 100% made in the US, which is why they're a bit more expensive. The second one I have listed here is the exact same design, literally all the same, except it's assembled out of the US which saves you on overall cost. Take a look at both great options:

Stainless Works Mustang GT Factory Headers

Stainless Works Mustang GT Factory Headers

Hope that helps! I know a few guys on here are running Stainless works who can vouch for their quality
Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Kook's is hands down the best company to go with. I'm very surprised to hear you had issues with American Racing Headers as they are top notch. Stay clear of BBK IMO. Stainless Works is a quality company as well. Talk to Jason at Hypermotive Performance or Terry at Street Lethal Performance for the best pricing possible for either (I used to sell parts so I know a lot about the market pricing).

Also, I feel I should mention that the other big difference between the Stainless Works headers and Stainless Power headers as mentioned by Mod Bargains earlier is the difference in warranty for each set. The SW headers come with a "lifetime warranty" while the SP headers come with a 2 year warranty.

Last edited by bakerjd; 12-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Bypass the vendor and call ARH direct. If he;s available speak to Nick Filipidis and explain your concerns. The products and people are GREAT there!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Tang_and_Stang

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Kook's is hands down the best company to go with. I'm very surprised to hear you had issues with American Racing Headers as they are top notch. Stay clear of BBK IMO. Stainless Works is a quality company as well. Talk to Jason at Hypermotive Performance or Terry at Street Lethal Performance for the best pricing possible for either (I used to sell parts so I know a lot about the market pricing).

Also, I feel I should mention that the other big difference between the Stainless Works headers and Stainless Power headers as mentioned by Mod Bargains earlier is the difference in warranty for each set. The SW headers come with a "lifetime warranty" while the SP headers come with a 2 year warranty.

Sounds like Kooks has the best following. ARH is supposed to be good, but these things change. Do the Kooks have a warranty? I'll look into the SW ones, that sounds like a bargain. Thanks for the advice everyone, this experience with ARH had me
Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Had BBKS on our 06GT....NEVER again!
Horrible fitment issues, and when the car warmed up the headers would touch because the heat caused them to expand and they were built with too little spacing between the pipes.
And yes they were the good ceramic headers.

Made the car sound like a damn bee hive was in the dash!
Had to bend the pipes to create space.

Sorry but THAT many problems just says to me...
NOT quality made.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tang_and_Stang
Sounds like Kooks has the best following. ARH is supposed to be good, but these things change. Do the Kooks have a warranty? I'll look into the SW ones, that sounds like a bargain. Thanks for the advice everyone, this experience with ARH had me
Kook's warranty info
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I'm not a header expert, but I have Ford Racing shorties and I really like them, although I know there's better headers out there. A word of advice though, GO STAINLESS. I hate looking under my hood and seeing those rusty pipes. It's beyond worth the extra scrap.