Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No drive no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Teemo0103

Default No drive no reverse

Hi everyone and thanks in advance. New to forums I recently received a 07 mustang v6 auto. It’s been parked for 2 -3 years. Previous owner said he was having a issue with getting it out of park. Today I jumped the car and was able to put in every gear. She does not move in any gear. Not reverse 1-2-3-D. With wheels off ground I don’t get any Motion jerk or anything. If I rev the car I get nothing. Usually when you put a car in gear rpm would drop a little. I get nothing. My autel scanner has not picked up any codes. Battery light is on and tcs light is on. I’m sure I should be able to pull a code if tranny was shot correct?? Any ideas. ?? I can see the rod moving on the shift cable. Is it possible it’s something with shifter?? Thanks again
Old 01-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Fluid level is low... If it's low, there's not enough for the filter's pickup tube to grab the fluid for the trans pump and build pressure. Quick test, get the car up on jack stands at all four corners evenly. In the middle of the transmission pan there is a 17 or 19 mm bolt. In the middle of the bolt is a torx. It's a 30 if I remember correctly. Anyways, with the engine running, remove that center torx bolt. There should be a dribble of fluid coming out. If not, my low fluid comment stands.

If it's been parked for two years, I'd drain whatever fluid is in there, drop the pan and replace the filter, then refill the transmission to spec. When you drop the pan, be careful, there is about a quart still in it since the drain plug sits up above the floor of the pan. And before you complain about how there's no dipstick to check the level or to refill the tranny and Ford this and Ford that...realize that most manufacturers are going this route. It's not just a Ford thing.

Oh, refill capacity if you just do a pan drop, filter replace, and refil is about 6-6.5 quarts. You will want 7 quarts to be safe.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:54 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

What he said but I'd also add that if the tranny fluid level is indeed low, you should be asking yourself why.
The chances are that there's a fluid leak somewhere and in cars that spend months sitting idle, it's probably from a degraded gasket. The most common is the tranny fluid pan gasket and you're going to replace that anyway if you're doing a fluid/filter change. The extension housing gasket is another common leak area so you might want to check that too.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
What he said but I'd also add that if the tranny fluid level is indeed low, you should be asking yourself why.
The chances are that there's a fluid leak somewhere and in cars that spend months sitting idle, it's probably from a degraded gasket. The most common is the tranny fluid pan gasket and you're going to replace that anyway if you're doing a fluid/filter change. The extension housing gasket is another common leak area so you might want to check that too.
tru dat. Fluid doesn't just evaporate.

Since it's not the easiest thing to top off the fluid, it's best to address the leak first, then drain/refill if it's not the pan gasket.