Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle inconsistency, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 PM
CarbineElement

Default Throttle inconsistency, please help

I have a 2007 mustang gt, the only mods on the car are a CAI and a bama tune.

so, i've been driving the car for almost 2 years now. The car has always had the issues i'm about to list but i've only recently started paying a lot of attention to them.

My throttle sensitivity / response is very inconsistent. for instance: if i downshift from 5th to 4th, i have to give the throttle a good 75% input for my revs to reach what they need to be
but if im downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, even giving the throttle about 50% will skyrocket my RPM's to way above what I need. It's like the sensitivity of the gas pedal depends on what
gear i'm going to / from and it makes consistent downshifting almost impossible.

another example, which is going to be hard to explain: lets say im in 2nd gear at 3k RPM about to do a pull, if i go directly from 0% throttle to 100%, the car feels very low on power, it seriously only feels like i'd say 150 hp. its slow. but if, right before i start my pull, I gas it for about a second, let off the throttle, then begin my pull, the car feels like it has all it's power and will actually pin me to the seat.

this problem is really weird and i can't say i've seen it happen with any other car, but I really want to fix this or at least get some opinions to see if literally anyone knows anything about it.

my theory is it must have something to do with the throttle body not opening all the way, because the engine runs perfectly fine. so, if anyone has any information about the throttle bodys on these cars that would be great, are the electronically controlled? or is there a cable setup?

thanks in advance to literally anyone who helps me out with this, sorry for the lengthy post, and also sorry if it's a little hard to understand, im not very good at explaining things.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Before I start blaming the BAMA tune, I suggest you thoroughly clean the inside of the throttle body, gently clean the MAF sensor wire, and make sure that the CAI is fitted properly during reassembly.
If you still experience the same shenanigans, get a new tune.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I won't say anything bad about Bama tunes because I will never run one of theirs in my v6. When my Mustang starts feeling down on power, I return my Mustang back to stock then reload the tune. This seems to pep it back up for a month or two
Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

have you tried returning the tune back to stock then reinstall the tune
Old 04-04-2019, 07:20 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You also need to calibrate the idle trim; this effects TB response all through driving.
There is a procedure, you can search the net on it. It helped mine out, a LOT...
Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 PM
CarbineElement

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
You also need to calibrate the idle trim; this effects TB response all through driving.
There is a procedure, you can search the net on it. It helped mine out, a LOT...
Honestly I’m not even sure what the “idle trim” is, I tried looking it up but couldn’t find anything. If you have any links or anything that would help that’d be great.