Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:26 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: throttle body

it wouldnt be the first time a company has lied
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: promustanperformance

Engineers don't use magic potions to make this work, they engineer. BBK is clearly putting a lot more engineering into their throttle body for it to take this long.
Humm... 3 pages of posts saying that the 05GT Mustangs are not getting the "advertised" gains from the throttle bodies, including links to people that have been to dynos and had tunes done by reputable dealers such as Doug of Bamachips, and one person that has a web site that keeps insisting that the actually are worth the money.

Without even looking, I will bet anyone here any amount of money they would wish to wager that promustangperformance.com sells at least one brand of aftermarket throttle body on his web site.

<update> Couldn't help myself, had to go look...
Holy Crap! Not only does he sell them, he sells them for more than anyone else on the net! No wonder he keeps saying how great they are.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

to late i just bought one

just kidding
Old 12-02-2005, 12:35 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I don't EVER believe advertised gains because they are always on a highly modified car that I'm sure they intentionally restricted due to the part in question. Real life is a different scenario.

Anyway, yeah. Our friend Mike from promustangperformance might just have a slightly biased opinion LOL. He does sell some really nice looking throttle bodies and other cool stuff on his site.

http://www.autoforumuniverse.com/ads...rformance.com/

He is also the newest sponsor to join our site.

Welcome to mustangforums, promustangperformance.

Glad to have ya on board buddy. Even though, we do not necessarily agree on the benefits of throttle bodies on relatively stock cars, I have noticed that you are always very helpful to others on the site and we appreciate your experience and input. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

I called these guys and they have 200 BBK TB in stock

Has BBK TB in stock

The guy there told me that there was an engineering issue in the casting process that was resolved, He also reiterated that HP gains with the BBK TB "up to 15hp" gains with no tune.... hhhmmm just don't know. I am going to stick to my original thought that these things are a waste of money at 300-500 bucks.

In retrospect I would have waited till the price comes down and take it for what it's worth, a nice Bling Bling option and thats it.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

I will let you guys know if I think it is worth anything after Christmas when it is on my car.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:09 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

REPLACING THE STOCK THROTTLE BODY
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/42CB388F23BC45779C052673F560A2D4.jpg[/IMG]

1. Loosen the hose clamp securing the factory molded intake hose to the factory throttle body.
2. Remove the intake hose from the throttle body.
3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the TPS sensor and the throttle motor.
4. Loosen and remove the (2) bolts and (2) nuts securing the throttle body to the intake manifold.
5. Make sure that the factory rubber o-ring style gasket remains in the intake manifold. If it falls out simply put it back in.
6. Take the factory throttle body and place on a flat surface and remove the TPS sensor which is located on the passenger side of the throttle body.
7. Install the TPS sensor onto the GMS Billet Throttle Body. Make sure to orientate the sensor in the same direction as it was when installed on the factory throttle body.
8. Remove the (5) screws securing the gear cover and throttle motor to the factory throttle body. Do not remove the (2) Phillips head screws that secures the motor cover.
9. Carefully separate the gear cover from the throttle body by slowly lifting the cover away from the throttle body. You will notice that an internal spring is still engaged. By carefully tilting the gear cover/motor assembly at a slight angle rotate the assembly clock-wise until the spring pressure is released and the spring tang is also released from the inner gear. Lift the cover/motor assembly fully away from the throttle body and set aside. If the throttle return spring releases and falls out once the pressure is relieved, this is okay.
10. If the throttle return spring with plastic locking cap became separated from the gear cover during the previous step it must now be re-inserted into position in the gear cover.
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/8334947F28F942648FB95EC593D46FDF.jpg[/IMG]
11. Looking down onto the cap, notice the (2) different width locking tangs. Position these tangs into the corresponding slots of the throttle return spring pocket in the gear cover. Apply pressure in a slight counter-clockwise rotation to lock the tangs into position.
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/CBB55B360E6645469D59128AB036CFEC.jpg[/IMG]
12. Carefully position the gear cover with throttle return spring over the throttle body throttle shaft. Align the throttle return spring so that the metal tang aligns with the hole in the recessed area of the throttle shaft gear. Be sure to engage the metal spring tang into the hole through the gear.
Note: If the gear cover assembly has a cap over the throttle return spring follow steps A - D Skip step 13 and 14
A. Use a small screw driver the pry open the lid at the latch
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/0400FBC53BD847AD8F65F8F87DFC8C05.jpg[/IMG]
B. Replace the cover on the throttle body, once aligned press both assemblies together and secure with the (5) screws originally removed in step 8
C. Using a screw dirver, Apply pressure in a slight counter-clockwise approximate ¾ of a revolution to lock the tangs into position
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/6B976F6B22DD41D89EA2AB6932341EEA.jpg[/IMG]
D. Replace the spring cover.

Skip step 13 and 14

13. Gently rotate the gear cover assembly in a counter-clockwise rotation approximate ¾ of a revolution until the cover realigns with the throttle body. Note:This step can be accomplished much easier if the throttle return spring is stretched in length approx. ¼ inch longer than stock. This will allow both sets of tangs to stay engaged while rotating.
14. Once aligned press both assemblies together and secure with the (5) screws originally removed in step 8. Rotate the throttle shaft throughout its full range of motion by moving the throttle blades with your finger. Check that there are no areas of bind and that the movement is smooth.

15. Place your GMS Billet Throttle Body up to the intake manifold and secure with the original hardware. Do not over tighten as you may pull the threaded inserts from the composite manifold.
16. Re-attach the intake hose to the throttle body and tighten the hose clamp.
17. Reconnect the electrical connectors to the TPS sensor and the throttle motor.
18. Start engine and make sure idle is normal. Depress accelerator and check for smooth feel and operation.
19. Close hood and have fun!

Note: The first time you start the engine is may rev high then shut off, this is the computer adjusting for an increase flow of air
Old 12-03-2005, 02:46 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: swieduwi

REPLACING THE STOCK THROTTLE BODY
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/42CB388F23BC45779C052673F560A2D4.jpg[/IMG]

1. Loosen the hose clamp securing the factory molded intake hose to the factory throttle body.
2. Remove the intake hose from the throttle body.
3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the TPS sensor and the throttle motor.
4. Loosen and remove the (2) bolts and (2) nuts securing the throttle body to the intake manifold.
5. Make sure that the factory rubber o-ring style gasket remains in the intake manifold. If it falls out simply put it back in.
6. Take the factory throttle body and place on a flat surface and remove the TPS sensor which is located on the passenger side of the throttle body.
7. Install the TPS sensor onto the GMS Billet Throttle Body. Make sure to orientate the sensor in the same direction as it was when installed on the factory throttle body.
8. Remove the (5) screws securing the gear cover and throttle motor to the factory throttle body. Do not remove the (2) Phillips head screws that secures the motor cover.
9. Carefully separate the gear cover from the throttle body by slowly lifting the cover away from the throttle body. You will notice that an internal spring is still engaged. By carefully tilting the gear cover/motor assembly at a slight angle rotate the assembly clock-wise until the spring pressure is released and the spring tang is also released from the inner gear. Lift the cover/motor assembly fully away from the throttle body and set aside. If the throttle return spring releases and falls out once the pressure is relieved, this is okay.
10. If the throttle return spring with plastic locking cap became separated from the gear cover during the previous step it must now be re-inserted into position in the gear cover.
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/8334947F28F942648FB95EC593D46FDF.jpg[/IMG]
11. Looking down onto the cap, notice the (2) different width locking tangs. Position these tangs into the corresponding slots of the throttle return spring pocket in the gear cover. Apply pressure in a slight counter-clockwise rotation to lock the tangs into position.
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/CBB55B360E6645469D59128AB036CFEC.jpg[/IMG]
12. Carefully position the gear cover with throttle return spring over the throttle body throttle shaft. Align the throttle return spring so that the metal tang aligns with the hole in the recessed area of the throttle shaft gear. Be sure to engage the metal spring tang into the hole through the gear.
Note: If the gear cover assembly has a cap over the throttle return spring follow steps A - D Skip step 13 and 14
A. Use a small screw driver the pry open the lid at the latch
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/0400FBC53BD847AD8F65F8F87DFC8C05.jpg[/IMG]
B. Replace the cover on the throttle body, once aligned press both assemblies together and secure with the (5) screws originally removed in step 8
C. Using a screw dirver, Apply pressure in a slight counter-clockwise approximate ¾ of a revolution to lock the tangs into position
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/6B976F6B22DD41D89EA2AB6932341EEA.jpg[/IMG]
D. Replace the spring cover.

Skip step 13 and 14

13. Gently rotate the gear cover assembly in a counter-clockwise rotation approximate ¾ of a revolution until the cover realigns with the throttle body. Note:This step can be accomplished much easier if the throttle return spring is stretched in length approx. ¼ inch longer than stock. This will allow both sets of tangs to stay engaged while rotating.
14. Once aligned press both assemblies together and secure with the (5) screws originally removed in step 8. Rotate the throttle shaft throughout its full range of motion by moving the throttle blades with your finger. Check that there are no areas of bind and that the movement is smooth.

15. Place your GMS Billet Throttle Body up to the intake manifold and secure with the original hardware. Do not over tighten as you may pull the threaded inserts from the composite manifold.
16. Re-attach the intake hose to the throttle body and tighten the hose clamp.
17. Reconnect the electrical connectors to the TPS sensor and the throttle motor.
18. Start engine and make sure idle is normal. Depress accelerator and check for smooth feel and operation.
19. Close hood and have fun!

Note: The first time you start the engine is may rev high then shut off, this is the computer adjusting for an increase flow of air
Good post dude. I'm guna make this a tech sticky at the top of the page.