Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion on snow handling ability of 05-06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Your opinion on snow handling ability of 05-06 GT?

I like to drive my Stang, that's why I bought it! So, snow tires for me as well. I've read that 4 snow tires, can give you as much as 40% greater traction. That's good enough reason for me to get'em. But, we are supposed to get 2-6" tomorrow and the tires won't be here until Wednesday or Thursday [:@]
Dave...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

We just got our first accumulation of snow here in lower NY (Mt. Vernon) so I guess we'll find out! I don't plan on stabling my pony this winter either. I'm going to try to get a POS used Jeep or something for snowboarding-related purposes, but other than that it's still Mustang season.

So late last night, I took her to the Cross County Center (which has several large, empty and at the time unplowed parking lots) to see how she was going to behave, and it wasn't that bad. Let's face it, nothing handles GREAT in the snow, and everything sucks on ice. Traction control did it's job reasonably well, I know they (Ford) set up a facility in Sweden where they ate meatballs and drove the car around and around on snow and ice trying to make it handle better and they seem to have done a reasonable job of it.

Then I turned of traction control and started doing donuts, you know, for scientific purposes.

In any case, there are only like 15 days a year here where there's actually going to be snow on the roads (probably more in Buffalo, but I know they can handle a little snowfall up there). So I say MUSH ON. Forget about the beater and use your mustang as an excuse not to go to work on the days where there's too much snow on the roads. Everybody I work with knows about the Mustang (believe me, they heard ALL ABOUT IT during the many, many sad months I was waiting for the f***ing thing) and they all said "But isn't it going to be bad in the winter?" So I figure I'll just let them keep thinking that so when the snow does fall I can plead RWD and spend the day doing J-turns in the parking lot.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: allfyre

We just got our first accumulation of snow here in lower NY (Mt. Vernon) so I guess we'll find out! I don't plan on stabling my pony this winter either. I'm going to try to get a POS used Jeep or something for snowboarding-related purposes, but other than that it's still Mustang season.

So late last night, I took her to the Cross County Center (which has several large, empty and at the time unplowed parking lots) to see how she was going to behave, and it wasn't that bad. Let's face it, nothing handles GREAT in the snow, and everything sucks on ice. Traction control did it's job reasonably well, I know they (Ford) set up a facility in Sweden where they ate meatballs and drove the car around and around on snow and ice trying to make it handle better and they seem to have done a reasonable job of it.

Then I turned of traction control and started doing donuts, you know, for scientific purposes.

In any case, there are only like 15 days a year here where there's actually going to be snow on the roads (probably more in Buffalo, but I know they can handle a little snowfall up there). So I say MUSH ON. Forget about the beater and use your mustang as an excuse not to go to work on the days where there's too much snow on the roads. Everybody I work with knows about the Mustang (believe me, they heard ALL ABOUT IT during the many, many sad months I was waiting for the f***ing thing) and they all said "But isn't it going to be bad in the winter?" So I figure I'll just let them keep thinking that so when the snow does fall I can plead RWD and spend the day doing J-turns in the parking lot.
i did the same thing..............y'know, for scientific purposes