Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got the pro 50 shifter (REVIEW)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just got the pro 50 shifter (REVIEW)

Pics of the installed shifter please... What handle do you have on it?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

FYI... There is an article detailing the installation of the Pro 5.0 in this month's MM&FF for those who are considering this shifter.

chevykiller,

It says that they dropped the drive shaft for the install. Did you do this or is it necessary for the Pro 5.0? If so, why since the others install without this?

-TRB
Old 01-26-2006, 07:24 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I too, dropped the drive shaft for the install but it's mainly for access reasons. The other shifters out there are basically modded versions of the stock shifter in reference to size. They are almost identical in length, width, etc. But this shifter is HUGE and put together extremely well. This is a true PRO shifter. The short throw means nothing in reagards to install and the actual throw in this shifter is not that short. I would say only 10-15% less than stock which is another reason why I like it. It's not the size of the throw that make this thing so awesome, it's the ease of the throw. It practically goes into gear for you and slips into the next gear as if it knows where to go. It would be VERY Hard to miss a shift with this thing. Becuase of the size, it sits slightly farther back then other shifters so 2nd and 4th seem like their really far back but it is only odd for the first couple days and you adapt to it quickly.

The only cons I have noticed is it is a little tight getting into reverse and 5th. It goes into 5th but it is much tighter and has slipped a couple times there. Reverse seems to be a pain, and I've figured out you have to shift into 1st and 2nd then it goes into reverse okay but still a little tight. When you just start the car, it is very difficult to go right into reverse without dropping into first and second first. It's is a little annoying - but the pros more than make up for it.

My car is out getting the dual return system put on today (the first of anyone!!!) and we are trying to get it done for the track tomorrow so no installed pics yet. I just used my factory **** (it's compatible) and I like it. I had a Hurst stick and it felt cool, but didn't really like it when really racing and like the feel of the stock **** better. I gave it to the guy who bought my hurst from this site (your welcome...LOL). Got the shifter from JPC and they retail for around $299.00

Final review: excellent MOD for the the bucks.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

I had a Hurst stick and it felt cool, but didn't really like it when really racing and like the feel of the stock **** better. I gave it to the guy who bought my hurst from this site (your welcome...LOL).

Sounds like someone ended up with a pretty decent deal, a barely used Hurst (FRPP) shifter and a free Hurst **** too! I suspect if they aren't going to seriously race their vehicle this set-up would work pretty well.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:07 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 351PONY

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

I had a Hurst stick and it felt cool, but didn't really like it when really racing and like the feel of the stock **** better. I gave it to the guy who bought my hurst from this site (your welcome...LOL).

Sounds like someone ended up with a pretty decent deal, a barely used Hurst (FRPP) shifter and a free Hurst **** too! I suspect if they aren't going to seriously race their vehicle this set-up would work pretty well.
Yeah, I hope the hurst owners don't think I'm lynching their product!!! LOL - it is actually a great street set-up and the stick is really cool for street driving and looks nice. The only real problem with it is the stock boot cover isn't going to go all the way up to the stick handle so it shows the bolt slightly but I remember seeing a post from a guy who adapted the hurst stick and described how he got the boot cover to go all the way up to the T-handle. Do a search under 'hurst stick' and 'hurst shifter' and I'm sure you'll find it. Someone DID get a good deal and I hope the set-up works great for them...
Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 AM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

from everything i've read this looks like it's the pro5.0 for me. how are the noise and vibration levels? and how would it be for a daily driver (in traffic)

thanks!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:28 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Killer, When you get that fuel system in could you give us a post and let us know the before and afters on your air/fuel. I would like to know how that turns out. I am sure it will be a great solution outside of piggybacking but myself and I am sure others would love to hear how that turned out.

Thanks