Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low fuel after lack of traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:16 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default low fuel after lack of traction

today me and a couple friends went to a huge open parking lot and decided to just mess around with our cars...burn outs, doughnuts, etc

after a couple of these, my car beeped and my low fule indicator came on, which was definitly wrong because before i left the house i had more than half a tank. so after being a bit freaked out i decided to park the car and give it a minute or two. i came back to the car turned it on and it went back to normal. so then i went back and did one more doughnut and this happened again. so this time i went and turned off the car and turned it back on again, but the indicator was still on. so then i gave it a few minutes again and it went back to normal

does anybody else have this problem? i have went out and done this kind of thing before and never ran into any type or problems

thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 11:02 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: low fuel after lack of traction

you were spinning so much your gas tank looked like this [\] and your sensor didnt "see" the gas lol

i dunno- stupid electronic ****. other more electornically inclined people may be able to tell you why this is happening, i'm just stupid
Old 02-19-2006, 11:17 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Educated guess but - look at the gas tank. It is like saddlebags (how fitting). It has a drop section on both sides of the driveshaft. More than likely it was fuel slosh that loaded 1 side of the tank. You may notice that if you ever fuel your car with the key on the guage takes a few minutes to show an accurate reading. If you turn the key off and then back on, it will read true. So if you were doing doghnuts, sloshed the fuel to one side of the tank and dropped the float, the guage would stay that way for a while unless you shut off the car and restart it. If I am not mistaken, I think the pump and sender are in the drivers side section of the tank, so I would venture to guess that you were doing left handed spins.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:28 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I posed a question in here last week- got a bit sideways and 'dingdingding' was too 'busy' to look and see if any lights were on, but guys in here said low fuel- made sense. the fuel tanks in these cars are pretty darn goofy. I *think* that big black sheetmetal attachment under the rear of the car contains both charcoal vapor canisters and some sort of equalizing plumbing- looks to be only fuel lines connecting both halves of tank...very odd setup to say the least, no wonder they can be so friggin hard to fill at times...
Old 02-20-2006, 02:48 PM
mustangpr

I took my car to dealer today again with that same problem. With fuel tank full the fuel level goues empty and beeps with the message "Fuel level low, DTE FLI DATA ERR". I took it to the dealer the last week and they told me that they changed the fuel pump because it has a sensor that was causing the problem. Today it happens again a took it to the dealer these morning. Any suggestions? I let you know what happens at the dealer. This problem happens to me a year ago, but I let it pass until decided to take action, since there were months that didn't happen until last week again.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I had a problem similiar to this. I went to a drive thru ATM... stopped at the ATM... got my money.. and the fuel guage went to zero and the light came on... I turned off the car and started back up... still on... drove home... still on... parked it in the driveway for and hour.. started it back up... fuel guage fine... went for a drive... fuel guage dropped to zero after a little driving... checked fuel cap and it was fine... went home.. turned it off.. let it sit.. started it.. and it was fine again.

Took it to the dealer... they said one of my senders were bad (there are two, one on each side)... they cleared the codes... left the battery disconnected for a while... hooked it back up.. and everything worked fine while i waited for my new sender to arrive at the dealer... I had no problems.. figured they disabled the sender or something. They installed the new sender and had the same problems all over again.. the new sender had a crack in it. They got another new one, installed it and all has been fine since.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:12 PM
mustangpr

Anyone knows exactly the parts to fix this in order to teach my dealer a lesson.