Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Plasti Dip + Metallizer FTW

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Thanks King. I'll probably get a larger rim at some point, but for now, I think this is a pretty cool look. BTW, that's a sweet looking ride you got there.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

I love it! Both the grille and the wheels.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I like it, I appreciate the blacking out of some parts of the car, I was over Chrome in the 80's..

I think you should keep the dip on there as long as it holds up, and as long as you are digging it. Some are saying 'if you like it, get it painted'. Why? Even if after a year or so 'if' it starts to show wear - peel it and do it again. A few $5 cans of Dip beats hundreds spent on painting, or the 1-3k you might spend on new wheels and tread all-together.

Sure, if I'm trying to make a 'show' car, you'd get wheels painted instead of dipped, or just buy them black anyhow. These are stockers, that you'll likely replace if anything - why spend money to paint them?

Some people got money to ball, some wish they had money to ball, and some will rag you for not balling.. What-ever.

Do what is best for your financial situation. If you didn't tell people it was dipped with metallizer on it, I promise you no one would have known..

Last edited by JayyVee; 08-17-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I love it, both the wheels and the grille. Once you can buy new black wheels though, do it haha. Looks great on sterling grey.

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I just feel that black wheels just make a car look like like it's junky.

Reminds me of the days when the majority of cars ran hubcaps, and people would be running around w/out hubcaps. I mean you still can, but I don't see "race car" I see "cheap way of me trying to make my car standout"

More power to you, but I feels like it's just the *current* ricer fad. there is a big difference between plasti-dipped/rattle canned stock wheels and 19/20" staggered wheels that are black. Even then I'm not going to like the black.

I kinda forgot what my point was. Oh yea, take it off the wheels. Looks awesome on the grille though.
Danielle, I just glanced at your sig and that sucks! I'm sorry you had to go through that, that had to be so disappointing and frustrating.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by YerBuddy
I love it! Both the grille and the wheels.
Thanks buddy! Appreciate the compliments!

Originally Posted by JayyVee
I like it, I appreciate the blacking out of some parts of the car, I was over Chrome in the 80's..

I think you should keep the dip on there as long as it holds up, and as long as you are digging it. Some are saying 'if you like it, get it painted'. Why? Even if after a year or so 'if' it starts to show wear - peel it and do it again. A few $5 cans of Dip beats hundreds spent on painting, or the 1-3k you might spend on new wheels and tread all-together.

Sure, if I'm trying to make a 'show' car, you'd get wheels painted instead of dipped, or just buy them black anyhow. These are stockers, that you'll likely replace if anything - why spend money to paint them?

Some people got money to ball, some wish they had money to ball, and some will rag you for not balling.. What-ever.

Do what is best for your financial situation. If you didn't tell people it was dipped with metallizer on it, I promise you no one would have known..
Your're right Jay, at this point in my life, I think I'm over chrome. My last vehicle was full of bling, but I guess I grew out of it. For me, the use of dip was due to my current financial limitations, but I think it turned out really really well. My only gripe is that my wheels aren't bigger, so I'll probably end up buying rims anyway, but like I said before, this looks dang good for a $5 can of dip.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:51 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mad. Wheels will come at some point in the future, but for now, it's me and plasti-dip; friends til the end, lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
miller89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdilla42
Really? How long did you end up keeping the dip on the wheels?
Jdilla,
Where to you get the metallizer at? I've been looking at plasti dip for a while but that extra spray makes it look a lot better.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by miller89
Jdilla,
Where to you get the metallizer at? I've been looking at plasti dip for a while but that extra spray makes it look a lot better.
Miller, I got the metallizer spray from a website called awarehousefull.com. Lots of dip supplies.