Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual shift for auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

I'm actually a little happy they didn't do it right. I'm not disappointed that I didn't hold out for a 2013.

Last edited by Unclenard; 03-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Yeah Ford has massively dropped the ball on this. You can find paddle shifters in quite a few cars these days and I'd love to see them in the mustang. A tune helps a lot with making sure you're in the gear you want, when you want it...but it still isn't perfect.

It would just be a much better experience to have a way to shift auto gears. I don't necessarily always want a manual, but I want to be able to enjoy that experience from time to time too.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
...and the 2013 will have the +/- function similar to the Focus, which is to say NOT manual or "hold gear" at all.

Hard to believe the Ford product planners completely whiffed on this one.
Why do you say "NOT manual or hold gear" ? I'd assume that gives you full control on which gear you are at at any point in time, isn't it?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011V6Conv
Why do you say "NOT manual or hold gear" ? I'd assume that gives you full control on which gear you are at at any point in time, isn't it?
Many "manu-matics" have a shift logic that will override your commands and shift at or near redline for you. Regardless of your intentions, my friends mazda will not allow him to go past 5500 rpm using the manumatic mode (his redline is a good 1000 rpm later).

I believe he is saying Ford is using this same programming with the new automatic transmissions when they incorporate the +/-.

We won't know for sure until someone gets one and tinkers around though.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011V6Conv
If you drive the 6L60E and up GM trans in the Camaro for instance, it will hold whatever gear you select until you hit and bounce off the rev limiter. In "M" the trans will NOT shift - and if you frag the motor that's your own fault too.

Likewise, if you go too low in the RPM (say an autocross or road course) it will try to hold the gear until the torque converter slip is so high your at risk of burning it up, then and only then will it downshift.

It's the closest thing I've found in auto trans land to a true paddle shift box, like the BMW SMG, the VW DSG, and several others. Basically, if I pick a gear, I want the car to stay in that gear PERIOD unless I say otherwise.

The custom 6-speed auto by TCI can be had with a full manual control body, but (a) it's pricey and (b) then you give up the automatic function - begging the question "why not just get a manual?"

I had REALLY hoped Ford would have gotten this auto trans right, but it's not looking good at all. More frustrating is that the SHO paddle shift auto works REALLY well - but that software development didn't make it here.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Many "manu-matics" have a shift logic that will override your commands and shift at or near redline for you. Regardless of your intentions, my friends mazda will not allow him to go past 5500 rpm using the manumatic mode (his redline is a good 1000 rpm later).

I believe he is saying Ford is using this same programming with the new automatic transmissions when they incorporate the +/-.

We won't know for sure until someone gets one and tinkers around though.
Hit the nail on the head. My Charger R/T AWD will override my shift choice under a LOT of conditions - which is really aggravating! And an easy why to wind up in a spin in a high-g corner too. Good practice is to pick the gear going in, set the car on the line, for mercy's sake DON'T SHIFT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CORNER, and power out.

I hope for the tinkerers this time too though. This new shifter is probably a CANBUS device, so that bodes well for future aftermarket development. Here's hoping!