Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Front end noise, please assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM
spectre04

Default Front end noise, please assist

Instead of grabbing the BFH, I'll start here by asking:

2012 V6, MT. >24k miles. Factory suspension/wheels.

ISSUE A: Clunk in something up front. Can feel it in the pedals and is mildly audible. Sounds as if something is popping back in place. From a stop, mild throttle tip in. only happens once the car starts to move forward. Sometimes a quick two pops. Not as noticeable when being hasty, more so when inching forward.

CONDITIONS: Only when car is hot. Noticed it first while driving from Fl to SC. Can replicate with consistency after a 30 minute drive. AC or no AC. Seems more prevalent with extra passenger in the car (may be placebo effect).

FIX: I'm taking ideas. I took it to the local dealer (actually a nice service guy), and explained the sounds issue and stated that something "feels loose up front". Seems like an unusual amount of chatter when driving off road/gravel/rough pavement. They drove it for ten minutes and took two guys in the car, to no avail. Said all was fine up front. Car was cold when I picked it up and took the main tech for a ride: Ten minutes, car never got hot. Could not replicate. ideas?

------------------------------------------------------
ISSUE B: normal conditions, sounds/feels like tire rub, or something else. Sounds in cadence with tire rotation (guess). Happened twice now, random. Can't intentionally replicate. I immediately pulled over and inspected splash guards/undercarriage/anything else my hands can touch. Everything is tight, all seems green.

CONDITIONS: Random.

FIX: I'm pissing in the wind on this one. Ideas or happen to anyone else?

------------------------------------------------------

If any of you gents/ladies have experienced said issues, please advise.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM
go-part
Former Sponsor

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_...ing_over_bumps

Could possibly be a wheel hub bearing.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t955...front_end.html
Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 PM
craig k

We had a noise in our front on a 2012 V6 whenever we went over bumps and they replaced both of the front lower control arms under warranty. It was not a clunck but more of a groan and it was only at very slow speeds.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

It does sound like something bushing related. Things are fine until the grease warms up, then something gets loose. Check to see if everything is lubricated (most modern bushing are supposed to be "lubed for life") to be sure perhaps?

Stupid question: did it happen after a tire rotation? Maybe a loose lug nut? That should get worse with speed though...
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by go-part
Could possibly be a wheel hub bearing.
That's a good lead to chase down too.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
spectre04

After three trips to the dealer (and driving a focus loaner), they are replacing the LCAs.