351 Mustang

Hood selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM
roblarss
1st Gear Member

Default Hood selection

I am planning on doing the 351w swap on my 94 gt and am trying to decide on which hood to go for. I am trying to keep the hood as low as possible (for visibility reasons) so only want as much height as required. I will be going with the TF street heat intake/heads and I am going to try to put 3/4" lower engine mounts if possible. For anyone that has done this swap I am wondering what the exact increase in engine height is. Ideally I would like to put the engine in then measure to make sure I get the proper hood but its pretty hard to drive around while I'm waiting for my hood to show up and get painted.

thanks all
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood selection

With drop mounts and a little creative machining to the intake you should be able to clear the stock hood.

I cleared the stock hood in my 90GT with Energy Suspension mounts (supposedly similar to vert mounts), and .700" shaved off the upper intake.

Are you using a Ford swap oil pan?
Many of the aftermarket pans may not clear with lowering engine mounts.

jason
Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 PM
roblarss
1st Gear Member

hmm thats interesting. My current hood is messed up right now so I will be getting another one but thats some interesting info. I know the intake on the 95 is kinda pushed down and made restrictive to fit the hood (or so I was told). I never actually thought of shaving off the intake slightly to get clearance.

for the oil pan I was going to get a swap pan and then cut/weld it as necessary if I couldnt get one that fit directly. I am still in the planning stage for the motor but hope to get moving in the next few months once I locate a short block up here in canada. I gotta get something soon though. My stock 302 must be loosing it soon (mileage sucks/no low end power/260,000km so far)
Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

go to th gunk yard and go find a F-250 truck and then take the motor outa it and cjange the cam injectors and what not thats what im doing well using my dads old snow plow truck
Old 09-22-2006, 01:52 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roblarss

hmm thats interesting. My current hood is messed up right now so I will be getting another one but thats some interesting info. I know the intake on the 95 is kinda pushed down and made restrictive to fit the hood (or so I was told). I never actually thought of shaving off the intake slightly to get clearance.

for the oil pan I was going to get a swap pan and then cut/weld it as necessary if I couldnt get one that fit directly. I am still in the planning stage for the motor but hope to get moving in the next few months once I locate a short block up here in canada. I gotta get something soon though. My stock 302 must be loosing it soon (mileage sucks/no low end power/260,000km so far)
You are talking about the Ford swap pan, correct?
You shouldn't have any trouble with that pan.

As for your problems with the 302...
Start a thread describing the problems you are having, and any codes you can get from the computer.
I am sure someone here can help you out.

Mileage problems are usually sensor related with the efi cars.
If it is sensor related, then you want to resolve the issue before trying the 351w swap.

jason
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 AM
roblarss
1st Gear Member

Ya I was lookign at a few swap pans but was unclear if any would fit the 94 design. Seems the only ones I saw while searching online were for the fox style. I may have missed something.

I have been doing some diagnosing on the 302 over the last week here and I got an egr fail code, and evap code (cant remember the exact codes). I looked at the egr and it seems the coil attached to it is dead (removed and it doesnt move at any RPM with the engine warm - I figured I should see some movement out of it). For now I put a block off plate on the EGR and miraculously my mileage almost doubled and the power increase is spectacular.

I was looking at my hood clearance and I may have to do some measurements on a 351 and a trickflow intake to make sure it will fit as Im going to get the hood before the engine and need to send it with my car to be painted.

Rob
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

If you can use a 93 cobra intake and some lowering mounts you can fit it under a stock hood. With the TFS you will have to get creative. It can be tucked under a stock hood if you spacer the K-member. It takes trial and error. Without those mods you'll need something in the neighborhood of a 2 1/2 cowl hood. If you have any questions on the install just shoot me a PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:32 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S351R13

If you can use a 93 cobra intake and some lowering mounts you can fit it under a stock hood. With the TFS you will have to get creative. It can be tucked under a stock hood if you spacer the K-member. It takes trial and error. Without those mods you'll need something in the neighborhood of a 2 1/2 cowl hood. If you have any questions on the install just shoot me a PM.
Just to clarify...
The 93 Cobra upper intake will bolt up to the 5.8L cobra/Lightning Lower intake.
But the 93 Cobra lower intake will not fit the 351w.

The width of the 351w is greater than that of the 302, so the 302 lower intakes will not work on a 351w.

Again, just for clarification, I think you are aware of this.

jason
Old 09-23-2006, 04:46 PM
roblarss
1st Gear Member

How good does the cobra upper intake flow compared to the trick flow upper intake?

I remember during my reading a while back being told about the lowers being a different size. I will have to see what I can find around here.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

I'm well aware that a 302 and 351 have different dimensions and that the intakes aren't interchangable. I should have been more specific with the Cobra upper. The Cobra Upper is only good to about 5500 rpm. You can rev it further but, the motor will fall flat. The TFS won't. It will pull to a little over 6500. My 96 made 68 more rwhp with a similar intake. No other changes were made. It did this with only 7 lbs of boost and a very mild tune. A local racer here has a Fox body car with a big-block, single turbo, and only runs a 2 inch cowl hood. It all fits under it with no issues.