351 Mustang

351 Windsor Running Slow Need Help

Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

If it has a stock hood then it's a 302 block. If it has a raised hood then you're gonna have to post some pics or send some via PM or email and one of us can tell you what you have. You're dealing with an engine you have little information about so the best bet is to plan your own engine build for the future. That way you'll know everything about it. For now I'd say change the HCI, carb, and ignition set-up so at least you'll know that much about it.

As far as it running slow, how long have you had the car? Does it feel slower as of lately? Where did you get the car from? Was it originally a V6 car? What trans is in it? What gears? It could be a lot of things. Those heads probably aren't flowing that well. It might be a low compression set-up. The carb might be too big for what you have. Was the fuel system adjusted to accept a carb? Have you done a leak down or compression check? Also, how much knowledge do you have on these cars? How is your mechanical ability? Everyone will try to help you out as much as possible...well most of us, haha!!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
If it has a stock hood then it's a 302 block. If it has a raised hood......

As far as it running slow, how long have you had the car? Does it feel slower as of lately? Where did you get the car from? Was it originally a V6 car? What trans is in it? What gears? It could be a lot of things. Those heads probably aren't flowing that well. It might be a low compression set-up. The carb might be too big for what you have. Was the fuel system adjusted to accept a carb? Have you done a leak down or compression check? Also, how much knowledge do you have on these cars? How is your mechanical ability? Everyone will try to help you out as much as possible...well most of us, haha!!

You can fit a 351 under a stock hood.......

OP, you have a 306 with old stock heads, even if they are the ones everyone uses as an upgrade, they still are not much better than E7's. Your timing is retarded 2 degrees....are you talking about your cam timing?

Yes you will get beat by that Z28 as you sit....

What are the cam specs??
Old 11-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Rbs93Stang

Originally Posted by projectresto83
You can fit a 351 under a stock hood.......

OP, you have a 306 with old stock heads, even if they are the ones everyone uses as an upgrade, they still are not much better than E7's. Your timing is retarded 2 degrees....are you talking about your cam timing?

Yes you will get beat by that Z28 as you sit....

What are the cam specs??
The timing is retarded 2 degrees for the use of nitrous which I have never used and honestly I'm a little scared cause I don't know to much about the motor
Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Rbs93Stang

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
If it has a stock hood then it's a 302 block. If it has a raised hood then you're gonna have to post some pics or send some via PM or email and one of us can tell you what you have. You're dealing with an engine you have little information about so the best bet is to plan your own engine build for the future. That way you'll know everything about it. For now I'd say change the HCI, carb, and ignition set-up so at least you'll know that much about it.

I will have the car for a year in december I got it for christmas,and no it hasnt felt slower a guy named ryan who moved from the east coast to durango colorado it orginally was a 4 cylinder yes, the tranny is a world class. T5, 3:73 gears I have been recommended the drop a size in carb too byy a mechanic I haven't done a compression test and my knowledge of the foxbodys isn't that good also it was upgraded to the holley blue electric fuel pump so that shouldn't be a problem
Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Rbs93Stang

Ok and 1 more thing given that you have the same combo as mine what would you change taking into consideration that I'm in high school still and I want the best bang for buck thanks everyone
Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well since you haven't ever used nitrous I would remove it and store it away until you get some experience under your belt. The 650 is a little big and you should go to a 600.

Again, what are the specs of your cam???
What MSD components do you have?
You said your timing is retarded 2 deg....what is it actually at though? Put it at 12*BTDC and you should be safe....again without the nitrous.

What do you have for an exhaust?
Do you have any suspension upgrades?
Do you have a regulator with that Holley blue?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

If I were you I'd get rid of those heads, the cam, and the carb. I think your car would really wake up if you ran better matched components. You can get a used cam for a pretty decent price...I've seen used heads (Performer RPM, AFR 185, Twisted Wedge) go for about $750 to around $900 on Craigslist and Ebay. That carb will better suited for that type of combo or you could probably do a straight up trade for a better one. And then get the timing right and you'll be set for now.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Rbs93Stang

[QUOTE=projectresto83;7748006]Well since you haven't ever used nitrous I would remove it and store it away until you get some experience under your belt. The 650 is a little big and you should go to a 600.

Again, what are the specs of your cam???
What MSD components do you have?
You said your timing is retarded 2 deg....what is it actually at though? Put it at 12*BTDC and you should be safe....again without the nitrous.

What do you have for an exhaust?
Do you have any suspension upgrades?
Do you have a regulator with that Holley blue?[/QUOTE

All I know is that it is a crower cam,I have mac longtube headers to offroad h pipe to super 44 flowmasters, the car has upper and lower control arms with aftermarket struts I also have a regulator for the holley blue too