Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharge??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:31 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharge??

Yeah, but the people I asked around said even though after super charging Id pack more power than the GT but the GT is bilt better (suspension, bigger rear end to handle more power etc.) thats why super charging a V6 is not worth it because on top of the $4000+ super charger i would aslo have to do those other upgrades and that would cost me more...maybe they dont know the new s197 V6s but I think theres something in what thay say, Im just trying to do all the research before I decide to spend $5000.....
Old 08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

Yeah, but the people I asked around said even though after super charging Id pack more power than the GT but the GT is bilt better (suspension, bigger rear end to handle more power etc.) thats why super charging a V6 is not worth it because on top of the $4000+ super charger i would aslo have to do those other upgrades and that would cost me more...maybe they dont know the new s197 V6s but I think theres something in what thay say, Im just trying to do all the research before I decide to spend $5000.....
it all depends... For me the difference between a V6 and a GT was $8000! You could easily build up the V6 for less than $8000 and have it beat the stock GT all day long... LOL!

Now, if I could have gotten into a GT for at least MSRP I would have done that... but I simply refused to pay the dealer markup!!!

I will tell you... My car is very easily identified as a V6... single exhaust and no fogs... and when I tell the V8 guys it run's low 13's... you should see the look on their faces! it's priceless! LOL!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

did you do a 91 octaine ture? Mustangtv.com did a shelby/paxton featurette and they said they stayd with 87 octaine with an 87 tune. Will stayng on 87 hurt performance? after all the engine was designed for 87...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ditto, gt was actually 9000 more sticker than my v6, and i paid 3k under sticker, so a 12k difference.

and as far as the v6 capable of 400hp at the crank, no prob. as its already been done by PHP and PH411. im not sure on exact numbers from PHP but i know PH411, exceeded 400hp at the crank, a long time ago.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

ditto, gt was actually 9000 more sticker than my v6, and i paid 3k under sticker, so a 12k difference.

and as far as the v6 capable of 400hp at the crank, no prob. as its already been done by PHP and PH411. im not sure on exact numbers from PHP but i know PH411, exceeded 400hp at the crank, a long time ago.
Actually, I'm more interested in TQ. I'm at 347rwtq on the mustang dyno with my 8.5lbs of boost setup, and that has netted me some pretty good ET's. I'm in the same boat as Fazm and Scrming, there was a huge..borderline insane markup when I got the car and was looking at GT's. Performance wise, I'm still under the sticker on the GT's I looked at.....of course appearance wise I have caught up to the sticker...but I would have done appearance mods to the GT too, in fact I would have done both to the GT.

So yes it is worth it I think, you get more props at the track having a V6 that runs V8 ET's. In fact, I was besting some Mach1 owners at the track and they gave me kudos for what I did to my little 6 banger. Only on the net do I run into the "you should have gotten a V8", in person, its much more rare.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

well said. horsepower sells cars and torque wins races. hehe.

gettin ready for the plunge this week.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

if the v6 isnt worth it then neither is the gt. Just go get the saleen extreme, it's the fastest mustang out right now. Do you see how your way of thinking is flawed?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

No its not flawd, Im just saying besides the V8 engine the GT has better suspension, better gears (well it used to) and couple of other things that might need to be updated when supercharging a V6....I'm just trying to get all the info...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

No its not flawd, Im just saying besides the V8 engine the GT has better suspension, better gears (well it used to) and couple of other things that might need to be updated when supercharging a V6....I'm just trying to get all the info...

Suspension modifications and rear end are significant, but not that bad. Also, keep in mind the pony package has the same suspension. Gears are not really an issue. For me, I am under the price of a GT for my performance/suspension modifications for what I was looking at, and match it with my appearance modificaitons. If you do it right, you can have more power, better ET's for less than the GT, but you have to do it right.

But yes, the GT is better base platform. For me, its about having a V6 that tears it up at the track. But for many its having the power under warrenty, and available on the street. All depends on your goals. For some, its about getting a GT, building it up and running low 11's. All depends. When I get my boss, it's going to be about 10's!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:37 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

I've been trying to find everywhere if the Pony Pckg. really does have the same suspension as the V8 but I cant find it anywhere. MM&FF did a short feature on it but no real concrete specs. So is the Pony Pck the same as the GT minus the V8 and the 8.8, and 3.55 gears?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Supercharge??