Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Longtubes

After further thought, I've decided this post would be better served in a PM, rather than on the open forum

Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Admin may have the online power, but Boss244 has then/a power!
Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

so i think im going to do mac LTs, mac hiflow cats, y pipe, gt takeoff mufflers
Old 09-22-2007, 02:26 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt

so i think im going to do mac LTs, mac hiflow cats, y pipe, gt takeoff mufflers
Okay, so please dont get me wrong when I say this. I have been told in the past that sometimes I act like an ******* with "one liners" saying bad things about an idea or a product, but dont take it personally okay?

IMO, you are wasting your money. That system is not going to be cheap, and you will not get much gain out of it.

MAC LTs: $450
High Flow Cats: $175
GT Mufflers: $75
Pipes: $350
Install: $500

Install time will be high because you are going to have to get everything custom fit and welded. Plus, those LTs do not fit well at all. I was very close to doing a similar setup myself, but gains of 7rwhp max (on a F/I car) is not worth the extra. Duals are cool, but really consider what you will be getting out of doing a full exhaust. You may just want to get a regular duals setup, save a ton of money, and put it towards something that will really make some power later on.

Also, if you dont change your mind about that, reconsider the Y pipe and the GT mufflers. Remember that those will be very restrictive compared to the rest of your exhaust.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:46 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

[8D]right now, im just trying to make my stang sound as badass as possible.[8D] i plan on collecting these parts over the next few months and getting everything installed at the beginning of summer. this will give me a lot of time to look for cheaper used parts [&:] my exhaust shop quoted me at $300 for the install so i guess thats pretty good i appreciate all your feedback!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Ok, well if it's solely sound ur going for then it's a great set-up. An h-pipewouldgive a deeper sound than a y-pipe but u might not want it. Make sure u get over axel pipes for the duals too(u can get them off of used gt's with an aftermarket cat-back cheap), u will need them or have to get them custom made buy a shop. And just make sure the quote u got was for aV6 single exhaust mustang. He may think u have aGT and that would be a lot less work for him(no custom welding everything together, no need to cut another exhaust hole, no need for making over axels pipes/welding them on). That quote is very low. I thinkit willcost me $300 to do all my stuff, and I'm not evening going to need custom fabbing for LT headers,welding cats on to the headers, or making/cutting the midpipe shorter. This whole set-up with a $400(I think this is the bestprice u'll find/remember a quotes a quote and always under theactual) install price will probably run u at least $1,300-$1,400 and that's with u finding most of the parts used. Shipping'sprices r bad. I paid over $60 to get my shorty headers and mufflersgroundshipped. And the mid-pipe and cats will easily be another $50 for shipping. So good luck on that, but it's gonna be a real project. But once it's done, u will have one loud, bad *** sounding V6 mustang. I think u'll have a shot at being a deeper sound than GT's.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

wooooo! luckily the shop im going to specializes in mustangs and cars like it [sm=gears.gif]annndddd i found hiflow cats for $100