Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Duals Decision...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Duals Decision...

I vote X-Pipe and Corsas. I've tried multiple other muffler types. This was the only setup I've been100% satisfied with.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:34 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Raubt, if you're only putting the two systems on the table that's in your email, then I think you're limiting yourself in other goodchoices available to you, or you've already made up your mind. Have you checked out the Pypes offerings? They have complete systems for very reasonable prices, and the quality is 2nd to none. I would also recommend you consider putting on a set of JBA shorty headers. I just installed a set of these and am thoroughly satisfied with the quality and result. I chose the ceramic version. Pypes offers a great cat back true dual system worth your look see. If you don't like it, I would recommend going with the Ford dual setup, it's top notch, however, this is where I differ with others on this forum. Forget the mufflers, order a set of Moto Blue or Pypes muffler delete tailpipes and install these on the back end of your system. Straight through is not obnoxious, just good sensce. The sound is the closest thing you'll get to a deep throaty V8 sound, and no back pressure. Don't believe what others say here about straight through not being a good idea. I've been running it now for about 6 months and it's one of the best mods I've made, especially with the addition of the JBA headers. I'm running the Ford dual system with the X-pipe. God, what a system with the Pypes straight through tailpipes. Here's some photos. Take care, Jack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/032F6B95F0384FE1B864CEFC5806FA37.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/FA388C3B8A0E4D96B16A6BA9F2E5B5E1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/E99634A981364DDD8EB442F2AA24A2E8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-24-2007, 11:12 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

the Ford Racing X has my vote as the is the system I will be getting at the beginning of the year also. There were some heavy long discussions regarding H/X pipes but to sum it up, Ford uses an X for V6's so stick with that. Also the FRPP mufflers I thought sounded the best out of any muffler setup thus far, the corsa's were very very close (that is only my opinion torch_vert :P) and the FRPP mufflers are close to GT take offs but sound much better.

But overall the Ford Racing kit is just better quality.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwilhelm

Raubt, if you're only putting the two systems on the table that's in your email, then I think you're limiting yourself in other goodchoices available to you, or you've already made up your mind.
Definitely not. Those two systems just seemed appealing because they come with all the hardware and everything in one easy shot. Even piece-by-piece though, I guess there isn't really much stuff to pick up for a dual exhaust conversion.

And the more I look into all this, the less I'm liking the FRPP duals. They're the same setup that come with the Shelby GT's, and they're supposed to be only slightly louder than stock GT mufflers, so I'm not really sure about them. If I wanted to go that route I could probably just buy some GT take-offs, have a local shop fab me a pipe and save some big cash.

Sancho, GrayPony, anyone else with them, how do the JBA duals with the H sound? Are they kind of rough and throaty or do they have a smoother race-car sound to them?

I've almost been thinking of going dual Flow AT's with an H, since I'm already happy with my single Flow AT, but general opinion seems to be that they're kind of crappy mufflers, so maybe not a good idea.

There are also Borla Stingers with an H (there's a YouTube vid of that setup on a V6) and they seem to have a nice warm burble to them, so who knows.

So many choices. And then there are the Pypes options, which I admittedly have never really looked into very much, but they seem to have some nice stuff too.

I think I'm mostly likely gonna roll with the H pipe strictly for sound-purposes, but the mufflers are still an open decision. Can anyone recommend a setup with a nice throaty mean sound to it? I want my little 6-banger to sound like muscle.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 AM
Barricade

i've got the H pip setup but I have the flowmaster super 40's and it sounds great