Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Please explain Wheel Hop?....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 AM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default Please explain Wheel Hop?....

I'm thinking this is when you cut your front wheels to either side, and try to do "Donuts" and your rear wheels hop, or jump.....it creates bumpy circular burnouts. Am I wrong?

A good defenition of wheel hop and the proper fix would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Please explain Wheel Hop?....

If you wanna stop wheel hop, then stop doing burnouts [8D]

I'm not an engineer, but wheel hop occurs as the tires try to bite the pavement. As the tire(s) starts to spin, it lifts slightly. Once add'l power is applied, the motion becomes more pronounced. Sometimes you can power through the wheelhop so that it is spinning way beyond the point where the tire(s) gains traction.

Stock suspension components are not designed to stop wheel hop - they are designed to be cheap, safe, and provide as comfy a ride as possible. As such, there is a need in the aftermarket for parts to fix this problem and overcome wheel hop. Replacing the Lower Control Arms (LCA's) are a common first step. The Upper Control Arm (UCA) is also another part to consider. A girdle and panard bar are more for the hardcore enthusiast, IMO.

I've had a problem with wheel hop with my 4.0L/5spd coupe, even though I have LCA's and an UCA. I have tweaked my suspension components over the winter, and if wheel hop persists, then I will need to look at a pair of rear drag/performance shocks.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Hopup..... I tried donuts the day after I got my car, in an abandoned parking lot, my car hopped like a bee-stung pony. I want the hop to stop. I had BRAND new tires at the time which I made ford put on before I bought it....stock tires....they had about 6 miles on them when I was experimenting, and I was still getting used to my clutch and steering at that time.

I don't want to stop doing burnouts. I'm going F/I tomorrow if all goes well. T-lok, 3:73's, and FRPP duals will follow. I will have a "One Wheel wonder for a bit" but I don't want to blow my play money and put off F/I any longer.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

ORIGINAL: musicheadt

Thanks Hopup..... I tried donuts the day after I got my car, in an abandoned parking lot, my car hopped like a bee-stung pony. I want the hop to stop. I had BRAND new tires at the time which I made ford put on before I bought it....stock tires....they had about 6 miles on them when I was experimenting, and I was still getting used to my clutch and steering at that time.

I don't want to stop doing burnouts. I'm going F/I tomorrow if all goes well. T-lok, 3:73's, and FRPP duals will follow. I will have a "One Wheel wonder for a bit" but I don't want to blow my play money and put off F/I any longer.
+1 on the new F/I ... lmao at the one wheel wonder comment
Old 03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
jabba575gt

Default RE: ONE WHEEL SPIN DURING BURNOUTS

I just put 18x 10 rear and 18x9 front FR500 on my 07 gt. It seems when i do a burn out only my left tire is spinning or much more than my right wheel. Anyone know why this is happening or anyone experiance this? It never did this when i had the stock wheels on. 17x 8.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:37 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ONE WHEEL SPIN DURING BURNOUTS

Burnouts are cool, donuts are childish! LCAs and UCA will stop the hop.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I think burnouts/donuts are valuable maneuvers whenever you aquire a new vehicle and are assessing the cars handling characteristics. As I stated, they were both done in an abandoned parking lot soon after purchasing a new car. I do both on dry, wet, and snow covered parking lots every time I get a new car, just to see how the car handles. I really wanted to find out if I was having "wheel hop"......or if one of my front tires was banging my wheel well because I was cutting the front wheels too hard. These manuever get you accustomed to handling your car in all weather conditions. I'm a 37 years old man.....I don't spin donuts and crash my car into groups of teenager at McDonalds on Friday nights.

....I suspect it was wheel hop, since I only cut the steering wheel about a half turn.