Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

Default Intake question

I've been thinking about some intake stuff. I'm curious about airflow. As I understand it, only a certain percentage of total airflow actually makes into the engine. Most CAI's work by increasing the total airflow available. There's still only a certain percentage making it into the engine, but by increasing total airflow, there is an increase in usable airflow.

This is done by using a straight through air inlet elbow and a larger, conical filter. Now, for my theory. I have a Shaker Hood system. I want to improve my airflow, but I don't want to use a full conical air filter. I would like to try to increase airflow, while keeping the closed air system of the Shaker Hood set-up.

So, I'm wondering if a straight-through air inlet tube with a large-bore throttle body would work as well as a regular CAI. I'm not expecting results like a C&L CAI, but more like an Airraid or K&N. I'm hoping to replicate the effect of a CAI that doesn't require a tune.

I'm still pretty much a noob on this technical stuff. Does this sound like it might work? Are the any techie's who can give me some advice? Has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you guys can give.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

So, you are saying you want to make the Shaker system functional by hooking it up to your throttle body for better air flow?
Old 03-21-2009, 04:31 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

Well, I thought about that, but it would be too expensive and too hard to put a filter in line. I'm just trying to replace the stock, baffled air inlet elbow with a straight-through tube and putting a large-bore throttle body on. I would leave the stock air box in place with a hi-flow filter from S&B or K&N.
Airraid makes a kit that can used to make a cai for any type of car. I was thinking of using that kit to make a straight-through air tube from the air box to the throttle body.

The air box is still going to be a bottleneck, but I can't think of any other way to improve air flow without replacing the air box. It's not going to be any cheaper than going with a CAI, but it might keep the integrity of the air path from the shaker to the throttle body.

I know people have been cutting holes in the intake shroud on their CAI's to keep the Shaker's functional, but it seems like there's very little difference between that and a regular CAI. In hindsight, I would have just bought a regular CAI instead of the Shaker. But, now that I have it I would like to try to keep working the way it was intended while still having the performance gains of a CAI.

I've been thinking about this idea for awhile and the more I think about it, the more I think it probably won't work. But, I thought I might ask for some advice from more experienced people before I gave up on it entirely.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:10 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

don't forget that the shaker system has integrated "drains" to allow water to escape...if you run the shaker though a filter and directly to the throttle body you may eventually hydrolock the motor from sucking in all that water...as for the larger diameter throttle body...kind of a waste of money (IMHO)...save your money on the throttle body and go buy a S&B intake...it doesn't require a tune

that is my take on your situation...by all means i am no expert but i do know quite a bit about our cars
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

Well, if I can't make this idea work, and it's not looking like it's worth trying, then i'll prolly just buy a c&l or jlt and a tune from bama tunes or something like that. I may just start with only a tune. I don't know. I just had an idea and thought I'd see if it might work.

But it seems like everyone thinks it's as useless as I'm starting to think it is.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

I did think about this whole process quite a bit. It's possible to increase airflow to the point of requiring a re-flash without changing the diameter of the air inlet tube. Steeda's CAI only replaces the filter element with a conical one and it requires a reflash. Unless there's something I don't understand about that particular CAI. I suppose it's possible the Steeda CAI also changes the MAF sensor placement and/or diameter.

Anyone have any ideas, other than simply buying a regular aftermarket CAI?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Well, I've got the JLT Intake with a tune and I couldn't be happier really..

I mean it all really just comes down to performance in the end, and a proper CAI with tune will give you that.