Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Calling all gear heads!! Please Look..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
Haven't dyno'd my car. I'm just running a modified version of the custom tune that comes with the X. Bamachips developed the tune for the kit.

I think the best numbers I saw posted for a HiPo with 2.8 were around 300/300. I don't race or anything. I just like having the X and driving the car.

Talk to the O.G. X guys like Rygen, Afixer, Torchvert and others. They know all the ins and outs of the X.

Call Dave at Explorer Express and talk to him about the X too. He's a really really good guy and can answer all your questions.

I got my X on a group buy that saved me something like $400.

They're going for $4.4k right now.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/xchar...ner-p-820.html
Cool...thanks for the info. I don't think the X is for me. Those seem like small numbers for something that costs the same as a Vortec S/C and a Powerhouse Turbo. I understand the 'X' would end up being cheaper, because I could probably do the install myself....but for that kind of cash I'd be kidding myself if I said I'd never go to the track. When I got this car I didn't plan on doing any of the things I've done/have plans for. I'm not trying to top those with 11s or 10s cars, but I know I'd like to go out o the track on occasion. The Vortech was out of the question for me until I read up on the V-3. I doubt I'm getting a turbo because tapping my oil pan makes me leary...the V-3 is self contained just like the 'X', and as far as I know it makes more power AND comes WITH an intercooler. I read it can also be tuned to produce lots of low end torque like the 'X', is that correct? Are there any turbo kits that are self contained and don't need to tap into the oil pan? Also, the way I plan to do my build is to get most of my other mods first. I know I can't use a CAI with any of the F/I choices we have, but can I reuse headers and keep a 'true dual' exhaust? I planned on getting a prochamber mid-pipe, long tube headers and reusing my stock cats if possible. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Intercooled Vortech HO claims 330hp at the flywheel.

Talk to TexasblownV6. He's running in the 12's with his Vortech.

Headers and duals shouldn't be an issue with centrifugal or roots blowers.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Regarding X and Vortech/Paxton:

Trip To Shelby Automobiles
Old 06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Regarding X and Vortech/Paxton:

Trip To Shelby Automobiles
That was a very interesting read. I heard about an intercooler being created for the 'X', but I have yet to see/hear anything recently. The only info I have seen on it are from posts on different forums that are like a year old at least...or in this case it's half a year old almost. Have you heard anything recent about the intercooler? There's no mention of it on the Explorer Express site either. If the intercooler was available I would seriously be considering the 'x'...it would probably be first on my list due to the self install, price and low end power.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Latest info on that posted on the Collective:

http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=26547
Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Latest info on that posted on the Collective:

http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=26547
Great read...still checking it out. I found another couple threads over there with some good info. I think I'm leaning towards the 'X'. I just hope when/if they do a group buy I have the funds lol. I've also heard you shouldn't have high mileage when adding any type of F/I. By the time I get my beater to use as a commuter car instead of killing my 'stang with 700 miles a week I'll probably be at close to 50-55k. Would this be an issue? Not that it will probably make a difference, but I would say out of that 50-55k about 30k are all highway miles...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I'm guessing that it's more an issue of how well maintained the car is rather than the total number of miles. Highway miles are supposed to be less abusive than stop and go city miles, though.

I put my X on when I had about 30k miles on the car.

Nice Pony has 90k on his car. He put his X on at 30k.

I saw someone else installed their Vortech at about 50k or something like that.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm guessing that it's more an issue of how well maintained the car is rather than the total number of miles. Highway miles are supposed to be less abusive than stop and go city miles, though.

I put my X on when I had about 30k miles on the car.

Nice Pony has 90k on his car. He put his X on at 30k.

I saw someone else installed their Vortech at about 50k or something like that.
Man...I'm chomping at the bit...that X-Charger X-treme looks great!!! I don't think I ever looked at a dyno pull from an X-Charger...but damn....they aren't kidding when they it produces power instantly and it's a torque monster WoW Thanks for the info...I had already taken the 'X' off my list...because of your info and linkage this is the kit I'll probably be buying lol
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Well, don't go by me.

There's all kinds of decent F/I, and I'm not saying the X is the best. It's just the one that I went with. I don't know enough about the other systems to comment on them.

PH turbo seems to be the one that puts out the most hp though.

I'm sure there are ways to set up the other systems for lots of low end torque. Talk to the guys on the Collective. Probably more hard core V6 tech info there than anywhere else.

For me, I went with the X because of the torque monster factor, the super easy install, comes with 2 Bama tunes that are ready to go right out of the box, complete kit with super thorough and detailed instructions, cool factor of a roots blower, awesome sound of the blower screaming when I jump on the gas.

Note that I didn't put a priority on racing. My car is a daily driver, and I just want to have a car that's fun to drive every day. Some time I might take the car to the track, and I'm sure it'll be fun and it'll do fine. But I'm not out there hunting ET's like the hardcore racers.

People are saying that the X-treme should easily do 12's though.

Here's the installation docs for the X, if you haven't seen them already.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/image...Mustang_HP.pdf

Btw, there's a water/meth injection option which is pretty cheap if you don't go intercooler.