Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Tune??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:24 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

If you take the snorkel off the airbox you have a free cai. And American muscle is a great place to shop and stand behind their products. The bama tunes package is a great deal and as soon as I become computer literate I will be signing up and giving them my money.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by everett
If you take the snorkel off the airbox you have a free cai. And American muscle is a great place to shop and stand behind their products. The bama tunes package is a great deal and as soon as I become computer literate I will be signing up and giving them my money.

Hey boss, can you please re-explain what you said about the air box and snorkel. Im curious to hear the explanation behind your theory. Thanks men
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Hey boss, can you please re-explain what you said about the air box and snorkel. Im curious to hear the explanation behind your theory. Thanks men
I think he is talking about the top part on the stock intake? Or maybe something only the 2010s have.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
In 2010, the stock intake was much better. It was very very slightly less restrictive, but there were many improvements to the cold air ducting due to the front end redesign. It's almost considered a cold air intake. There's still a decent amount of power to be had, though.

On 2011, the stock intake is even further improved, being that the car comes with 100 more horsepower. Either way, there's still a little bit of horsepower to be had with a smooth bend, higher flowing intake, larger maf housing, higher flowing filter, etc.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
In 2010, the stock intake was much better. It was very very slightly less restrictive, but there were many improvements to the cold air ducting due to the front end redesign. It's almost considered a cold air intake. There's still a decent amount of power to be had, though.

On 2011, the stock intake is even further improved, being that the car comes with 100 more horsepower. Either way, there's still a little bit of horsepower to be had with a smooth bend, higher flowing intake, larger maf housing, higher flowing filter, etc.
Thanks Chris for the explanation. I wish the same can be said for the 2006 GT. Im lazy to purchase parts plus the old girl would kill me if she found out im going down this road lol . I know its addictive habit to mod cars cause my last mustang project started with a budget of 3k and ended up being close to 15k. So with my new stang, im keeping everything bone stock under the hood, just new shoes and maybe a tune from you guys and bama. I know this has been talked about a million times , but do you think a 93 race tune would make a difference on a bone stock 06 GT. Im not looking to race Jimmy Johnson, just something to have fun with. Is the price worth the marginal gains is what im asking. Thanks men
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A good stand-alone tune from AM or Brenspeed should net your '06 GT 15 or more RWHP, depending on how aggressive it's written; probably more like 15 for a typical street tune. But toss the CAI in the mix and add about 8-10 more RWHP.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Nuke
A good stand-alone tune from AM or Brenspeed should net your '06 GT 15 or more RWHP, depending on how aggressive it's written; probably more like 15 for a typical street tune. But toss the CAI in the mix and add about 8-10 more RWHP.
I took your advice Nuke and got myself a JLT CAI and a SCT3 91 Race tune from AM/BAMA. It should be fun. Thanks for looking out. I can only wonder how much RWHP increase there would be.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

hey, im totally new to the whole car mod scene...yall have been talking about tunes this whole thread along with the cold air intake (which is something my dad's friend said i should get), but i have no idea what tunes are. So i googled it and didnt really find what i was looking for lol. Could someone explain to me what tunes are really quick?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Get the CAI w/ tunes from AM. Order 87 street, 89 performance, and 93 race. Get a half tank of 87 and install the CAI and 87 tune. When you get low, get half a tank of 89 and load the 89 tune. When you are done with that tank, get half a tank of 93 and load the 93 tune. That way you can test out each tune without bias and can decide which one you want to drive to work everyday with.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aerbourne
hey, im totally new to the whole car mod scene...yall have been talking about tunes this whole thread along with the cold air intake (which is something my dad's friend said i should get), but i have no idea what tunes are. So i googled it and didnt really find what i was looking for lol. Could someone explain to me what tunes are really quick?
This will explain it

http://www.americanmuscle.com/custom-tunes-popup.html

Prior to adding the X-Charger supercharger, the cold air intake + tune from American Muscle was the best performance mod I ever made. You'll be very happy with it.

Last edited by Biceps; 01-17-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Tune??