Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Can the stock engine handle boost without being built?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
That is called your signature.
Go to "User CP" and find the Edit Signature button.
okay cool, then how do I get the pic to come up on the side of my posts, like how you have the running pony w/ tri-bar logo on yours by where it says your name and your car?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

another thing I was wondering is if the stock engine isnt built to handle boost how come it holds up so well?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

A big part of it is the quality of the tune that you run. The tune can make or literally break your engine.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
A big part of it is the quality of the tune that you run. The tune can make or literally break your engine.
cuz I hear alot that theres no way an engine can last long on boost if its not built for it, which is why I started this thread in the first place. Like if i want reliability I have to build it otherwise it can just pop at any minute. I wanted to make sure I did everything right so this didnt happen to me, and is the tune that comes with the superchargers good enough? I know they come with programmers
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM
JimC

If they can "pop at any minute" I don't know how to explain all the boosted cars running around - and how to explain Gaylon's car and mine with 100,000+ miles running on boost!

As far as the tunes that come stock with the supercharger, most are pretty fat for fuel so you don't run into a lean condition. Lean fuel will pop the motor so they tune them safe on the canned tunes. To get more out of the car you have to get to a tuner who can set up your car specifically
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

you know if you want a good deal, newtakeoff.com is the best place to go other than a salvage yard. you have to be careful there tho to make sure the rear axle is in good shape and it is undamaged. but if you call NTO and ask them for some kind of discount and talk with them a bit, dont mention me but maybe mention mustang forums, and they can work with you and your budget. they helped me a lot and the 3.73 i got in mine are perfect not isues at all!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
If they can "pop at any minute" I don't know how to explain all the boosted cars running around - and how to explain Gaylon's car and mine with 100,000+ miles running on boost!

As far as the tunes that come stock with the supercharger, most are pretty fat for fuel so you don't run into a lean condition. Lean fuel will pop the motor so they tune them safe on the canned tunes. To get more out of the car you have to get to a tuner who can set up your car specifically
Thats why when I heard about your car and gaylons car I was like wow maybe I dont have to go crazy building it, and those boosted cars running around are usually built for it the problem is that for our 4.0 v6 all the total build kits I find say "not recommended for daily drivers" and cost more then the superchargers! I just was worried because like yours my mustang is also my daily driver and if it was to pop Id me screwed

I have a tuner around here that focuses only on mustangs and fords, its called Valley Performance and thats who tuned my car with the SCT Tuner They are certified and everything and I trust them the only thing is they dont have a dyno. I just wanna make sure i do everything right and not make a noob mistake and blow my motor
Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
you know if you want a good deal, newtakeoff.com is the best place to go other than a salvage yard. you have to be careful there tho to make sure the rear axle is in good shape and it is undamaged. but if you call NTO and ask them for some kind of discount and talk with them a bit, dont mention me but maybe mention mustang forums, and they can work with you and your budget. they helped me a lot and the 3.73 i got in mine are perfect not isues at all!
Yeah I have been on that site before and they seemed a little pricey for the 3.73 i think it was like $849 plus like $150 shipping where as that speed concepts site that was given to me has them for like $682 and I was trying to find what gear ratio would be perfect for my car with the trans I have now 3.73s seem good for me now but if I wanna swap it to the TR6060 then I should go with 4.10s
Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

NTO is a sponsor. Call them and see if they will price match. Whenever I talk to them, they are extremely nice and understanding. I am going to be installing a custom turbo next month, and will be keeping my motor stock. If you are worried about popping a motor, a replacement is extremely cheap, compared to other motors. That's just a word of thought.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you wanted to stay with the 6 and you did pop your motor, think of it like this:

you can then buy a cheap stock block and build it the way you want from the ground up. Those v6's pushing stupid boost and HP numbers are totally built.

Quick Reply: Can the stock engine handle boost without being built?