Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help with grinding/squealing noise low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
stelzner

Default Help with grinding/squealing noise low speeds

Hello,
I am new here (and I apologize about the length of this post) but recently I have been hearing a grinding (metal on metal resulting in a high pitches squeal) sound coming from what sounds like the front drivers side wheel of my 2007 V6 Mustang. This sound really only happens when turning at low speeds (10 mph or less) such as in a parking lot, and only happens when I initially start driving. For example when I am parking my car it doesn't happen, but when pulling out of a parking spot after the car has been sitting for a while it happens for a few seconds until I pick up speed (it seems). The sound also seems to be tied to how fast the wheels are turning, but I can't be 100% sure.

I have lifted the car up and checked brake pads, and they still have plenty of pad left. I also don't see any leaks or fluid on the pads/rotors. I have not replaced/modified any suspension parts on the car, but I put new wheels and tires on the car about 4 months ago (the sound didn't start until about a month ago). While the car is in the air I have also tried to move the wheels, and there is no play. Spinning the wheels while in the air (while straight or turned) does not replicate the issue.

While having the front drivers side wheel off I sprayed a metal coating (I believe its meant to fill gaps in the rotor, is silver in color) on the rotors, and tightened the lug nuts with a torque wrench to the torque indicated in the manual. This seemed to make the sound go away for a few days, but it came back as loud as ever. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I have searched over numerous forums and can't seem to find anybody with a similar problem. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Metal coating?? Never spray any type of coating on the surface of your rotors or pads unless it's brake parts cleaner. Even then you should be certain it doesn't leave any residue.

Coatings can/will decrease friction between the materials and could cause glazing of the contact surfaces which typically mean replacing those components.

It could be a wheel bearing is wearing out in that hub. With that wheel up in the air. Grab the tire and wiggle side to side. If it has any play, it's probably the bearing is shot or on its way out.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 PM
stelzner

The spray was recommended by an employee at autozone, and was specifically made to spray on the rotors. And I have tried moving the wheel while in the air and there is no play. Where I'm really getting stumped is that the sound goes away as soon as I get above 5 mph or so and doesn't return until I let the car sit for multiple hours.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
stelzner

And sorry for the double post, but I can't figure out how to edit posts (if you can) but thank you for the quick reply
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sounds like it may be the wear indicators on the brakes. Or perhaps a wheel bearing.