Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 Mustang V6 4.0L help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Projectdevil

Default 2010 Mustang V6 4.0L help

*First Post* (sorry for any errors beforehand)

I created a list of mods/parts that I wanna do to my 2010, I basically need help on wether or not everything will work together if some parts shouldn’t be added etc. All input will be greatly appreciated!

Mustang Build: “Devil”
2010 Mustang 4.0L V6

~210 HP | ~6.6s 0-60mph | ~16c/24h mpg

1.) BBK 70mm Throttle Body

2.) AirAid Throttle Body Spacer

3.) BBK Cold Air Intake

4.) Performance Distributers Screamin’ Demon Coil Pack

5.) Performance Distributers Livewires 10mm Spark plug Wires

6.) NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

7.) BBK Shorty Header 1 5/8”

8.) Pypes Mid-Muffler True Dual Exhaust

9.) SCT SF4/X4 Power Flash Tuner

10.) Sprint Booster V3

11.) Power Stop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Rotor & Pad Kit

Old 04-06-2019, 09:19 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Projectdevil
*First Post* (sorry for any errors beforehand)

I created a list of mods/parts that I wanna do to my 2010, I basically need help on wether or not everything will work together if some parts shouldn’t be added etc. All input will be greatly appreciated!

Mustang Build: “Devil”
2010 Mustang 4.0L V6

~210 HP | ~6.6s 0-60mph | ~16c/24h mpg

1.) BBK 70mm Throttle Body

2.) AirAid Throttle Body Spacer

3.) BBK Cold Air Intake

4.) Performance Distributers Screamin’ Demon Coil Pack

5.) Performance Distributers Livewires 10mm Spark plug Wires

6.) NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

7.) BBK Shorty Header 1 5/8”

8.) Pypes Mid-Muffler True Dual Exhaust

9.) SCT SF4/X4 Power Flash Tuner

10.) Sprint Booster V3

11.) Power Stop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Rotor & Pad Kit
1.) BBK 70mm Throttle Body People have had issues with this change. You may see idle problems or delay. You have to be very careful setting it up and even then you can have problems. It doesn't seem to be worth the expense.

2.) AirAid Throttle Body Spacer Save your money. This does nothing for your car. Moving the throttle body a little bit, in a car where the air and fuel are mixed in the cylinder, accomplishes nothing. You could move the throttle body a foot and it wouldn't affect anything.

3.) BBK Cold Air Intake If it "doesn't require a tune" then you are simply adding bling under the hood with no performance benefit. What you want is a tune, that is where the performance gains are found.

4.) Performance Distributers Screamin’ Demon Coil Pack The stock coil pack is more than adequate even for those running forced induction. Another change that has caused issues for some people. Stick with the stock one, nothing really to be gained with this change.

10.) Sprint Booster V3 I wouldn't bother with this. You are getting the SCT and the tune will do everything you need.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:51 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I think that for what that's all gonna cost you, you should have gotten a
2011 V6, or a 2010 V8...

The coil pack you want, is the same voltage output as the Accel SuperCoil, but the Accel is cheaper.

Sprint booster, don't bother, disconnect the battery, then reconnect and go through the idle
trim learn procedure.

Throttle Body spacers are useless! The metal will heat up just as any other metal
component in the engine bay. They do not name DELRIN ones, and if there were,
THAT would be what you use. Delrin is an insulator, metal is not.

Believe it or not, if you want performance, you want COPPER plugs. They do not last
more than 30,000 miles, but they are the best for performance.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 04-07-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:31 AM
Projectdevil

Originally Posted by JimC
1.) BBK 70mm Throttle Body People have had issues with this change. You may see idle problems or delay. You have to be very careful setting it up and even then you can have problems. It doesn't seem to be worth the expense.

2.) AirAid Throttle Body Spacer Save your money. This does nothing for your car. Moving the throttle body a little bit, in a car where the air and fuel are mixed in the cylinder, accomplishes nothing. You could move the throttle body a foot and it wouldn't affect anything.

3.) BBK Cold Air Intake If it "doesn't require a tune" then you are simply adding bling under the hood with no performance benefit. What you want is a tune, that is where the performance gains are found.

4.) Performance Distributers Screamin’ Demon Coil Pack The stock coil pack is more than adequate even for those running forced induction. Another change that has caused issues for some people. Stick with the stock one, nothing really to be gained with this change.

10.) Sprint Booster V3 I wouldn't bother with this. You are getting the SCT and the tune will do everything you need.
Thanks for the info Jim! Appreciate all the feedback I can get!
Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Projectdevil

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I think that for what that's all gonna cost you, you should have gotten a
2011 V6, or a 2010 V8...

The coil pack you want, is the same voltage output as the Acce SuperCoil, but the Accel is cheaper.

Sprint booster, don't bother, disconnect the battery, then reconnect and go through the idle
trim learn procedure.

Throttle Body spacers are useless! The metal will heat up just as any other metal
component in the engine bay. They do not name DELRIN ones, and if there were,
THAT would be what you use. Delrin is an insulator, metal is not.

Believe it or not, if you want performance, you want COPPER plugs. They do not last
more than 30,000 miles, but they are the best for performance.
Thank you. Went ahead and researched TBs after Jim’s reply and got better understanding of there purpose. List of parts, priced ~$2.7k but I wanted to make sure I’m choosing wisely.

For the CP, would you upgrade it or leave it alone? If so should I pick up the Accel CP instead of the Screamin Demon CP? Also, if keeping OEM CP, would upgrading plugs & wires help?

Finally, I wish I could’ve snagged a v8, or newer v6, but I got my pony for $7k firm. Only 125k miles, and I think it’ll be a fun project!
Old 04-07-2019, 02:48 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I got an '08 V6 with 102,192 for $5800, and though the 2010s, while they look different,
they are the same engines and transmissions from 05-09... I missed a '12 V6 for $4800,
he started at $10,500 and got to $5000, I messaged the dude, we spoke, then he went
to $4800 and someone else scooped it up. I am CERTAIN for $7000 + $2,700 = $9700
you could have picked up a 2011 V6 (300HP 3.7) or a 05-09 GT... They wanted $8900
for the car I bought, and I watched it drop and drop to $5900, then I went in, they took
another $100.00 off, and I paid cash for it. Maybe you were just in a hurry to get yourself
a 'Stang...

The Accel Super Coil, I got mine for $65.00 on eBay, new. I kept the same plug wires, but
changed spark plugs. I just got simple platinum plugs for mine, should not have to replace
them again. They'll probably outlast the life of the engine now; I am at at ~113,500 miles...

I got a set of plug wires, new, but they're thinner than the ones on there, so I probably won't use
them, so I wasted $32.00 on that, they'll just sit here forever... They're CarQuest OEM
replacements.. Just not sure if I am going to use them or not...

I bought an InTune1000 tuner for $100.00 on FB Marketplace, so look around there for one.