4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LT Header question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 AM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Default LT Header question

I just got finished installing by LT's on my 2001 GT. I let it warm up and all that tightened stuff down but then i drove it around town a little and heard a little sputtering so i went back to the garage and decided to take it to my house and look at it. Then the check engine light came on while i was cornering fairly quickly on a turn. I think the O2 sensor may have gotton loose or something but is there anything else yall would recommend me checking as i fix that. Also my trans felt like it was shifting harder and my idle was varying a lot in Drive (i got an auto) i went down to like 3 or 4 hundred lol. I took it back to my garage which i was only a little bit away from at the time, less than 30 sec probably, but j/w if anyone had suggestions. And by the way damn it sounds good.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:54 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LT Header question

Im not by any means an expert, but from your description and from what Ive read from others, it seems that...

1. You 02 sensors are lose or not picking up the signal like you said

OR

2. You have a leak in the headers, meaning the gaskets are loose, or its not lined up correctly, not tight enough, etc. [:@]
^^ For that reason above, thats exactly why I got the Stage 8 Header Bolts and Percy Header Gaskets. I would hate to have to keep going in and fixing leaks.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
tripleblack
1st Gear Member

At least one of the 02's is out - if you had to "stretch" the wires to reach, this might be the cause - also, if the wires can touch the tubes anywhere, zap, they will fry. With bad 02 data coming in, this can mess up your computer big time. Correct the connection to the sensor(s) first (they make extensions for the harness, if you need them). Disconnect and reconnect the battery (you should do this when you work on the wiring anyway) and this will reset your computer. Finally, the long tubes might benefit from a tune - if you have a flash tuner, read the manual, particularly as regards the new modifications and your shift points on the AODE.

Good luck!

tripleblack
ORIGINAL: d_owen44

I just got finished installing by LT's on my 2001 GT. I let it warm up and all that tightened stuff down but then i drove it around town a little and heard a little sputtering so i went back to the garage and decided to take it to my house and look at it. Then the check engine light came on while i was cornering fairly quickly on a turn. I think the O2 sensor may have gotton loose or something but is there anything else yall would recommend me checking as i fix that. Also my trans felt like it was shifting harder and my idle was varying a lot in Drive (i got an auto) i went down to like 3 or 4 hundred lol. I took it back to my garage which i was only a little bit away from at the time, less than 30 sec probably, but j/w if anyone had suggestions. And by the way damn it sounds good.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Hey thx a lot and i got a nice Mr. Gasket gasket to replace the stock ones and i got O2 sensor extensions i just pulled them over the front sway bar and zip tied them to it so it wouldnt touch the tubes. i think that may be my it disconnected is because my friend actually secured them to the sway bar and it looked like he did it pretty tight but thx for all your answers hopefully ill get everything straightened out today. and what do you guys think is the best tuner..... an SCT?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:17 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

SCT or Diablo
Old 03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
tripleblack
1st Gear Member

Sway bars can move around - if you connect anything to them, be sure you have enough slack to compensate for this movement (at least 3 inches).

I own the Diablo, and I'm pleased with it, but if I were doing it today I'd probably go with the SCT (more support from dyno operators, for instance).

There's a new tuner out that includes a wide-band O2 sensor that gives amazing control, but I can't remember its name (saw it at the SEMA show).

Luck with all the repairs!

tripleblack

Hey thx a lot and i got a nice Mr. Gasket gasket to replace the stock ones and i got O2 sensor extensions i just pulled them over the front sway bar and zip tied them to it so it wouldnt touch the tubes. i think that may be my it disconnected is because my friend actually secured them to the sway bar and it looked like he did it pretty tight but thx for all your answers hopefully ill get everything straightened out today. and what do you guys think is the best tuner..... an SCT?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:19 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Hey yea thats exactly what i thought when the light came on especially cause i was going around that corner...... O2 sensor on the sway bar. Thx a lot all you guys and for all you ppl with LT's Hi Flow H and SLP's ............ DAMN LOUD and sounds so good i about cried!! Thx a lot

Also should i get my throttle body and plenum then get the tuner or get a tuner first. J/W
Old 03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
tripleblack
1st Gear Member

Tuner.

The tb/intake combo will get you maybe 10hp, but the tuner will help response, power (particulalry if you install the premium fuel optioin - but you MUST use premium if you do this), compensation for gears and larger wheels/tires, and control over your shift points and shift firmness.

I'd do the tuner first.

tripleblack

Hey yea thats exactly what i thought when the light came on especially cause i was going around that corner...... O2 sensor on the sway bar. Thx a lot all you guys and for all you ppl with LT's Hi Flow H and SLP's ............ DAMN LOUD and sounds so good i about cried!! Thx a lot

Also should i get my throttle body and plenum then get the tuner or get a tuner first. J/W
Old 03-05-2006, 07:48 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

OK and i just went to autozone after i checked the front 2 sensors and had it running with no light on and got them to scan it after the light came on again and it was one of by back ones...... but do yall know which side the Sensor 2 Bank 1 is?