4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing Tranny and Diff Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Changing Tranny and Diff Fluid

How hard is it to change the tranny fluid. I an guessign it has to be just like changing the oil. Is there a drain plug somewhere on the tranny? If so, where at. Where exactly is the plug or opening where I fill it up at. Anything special to use to fill it up, can;t imagine it's that easy to get a funnel down there?

Anaything special to worry about when changing the differential fluid. I heard that you need a special additive for the limited-slip differential that come on my car. Where do I get this additive, at any parts store that sells the diff fluid. Also, any pointers that I should kow about the 8.8 rear end when changing the fluid.

I kow some of you may think these are dumb questions but I have never done this stuff before, so thanks ahead of time for the input.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:18 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Changing Tranny and Diff Fluid

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

How hard is it to change the tranny fluid. I an guessign it has to be just like changing the oil. Is there a drain plug somewhere on the tranny? If so, where at. Where exactly is the plug or opening where I fill it up at. Anything special to use to fill it up, can;t imagine it's that easy to get a funnel down there?

Anaything special to worry about when changing the differential fluid. I heard that you need a special additive for the limited-slip differential that come on my car. Where do I get this additive, at any parts store that sells the diff fluid. Also, any pointers that I should kow about the 8.8 rear end when changing the fluid.

I kow some of you may think these are dumb questions but I have never done this stuff before, so thanks ahead of time for the input.
If you have a Tremec 3650 transmission, which I am almost certain you do, the drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission toward the rear. The filler plug is on the passenger side, although I did not re-fill mine there since I was changing shifters at the time and was anle to re-fill the transmission through the open shifter mounting hole. You can snake a section of plastic tubing down to the filler hole from the engine compartment and attach that to a funnel. Some say fill to the bottom of the filler hole, but I used 3.0L (3.2 quarts) instead based on tech advice previously posted by Tremec.

To change the differential fluid you will have to remove the rear cover, since unfortunately we are not provided a drain plug on the rear axle housing from the factory. You will need friction modifier for the limited-slip differential, and I personally would get it from a Ford parts counter.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

You'll need a limited slip additive for the oil... any place that sells the oil should have the friction modifier too.

I went with Royal purple 85w140 and it came with a friction modifier. My only other option for weight was 75w90... which was too far off on the high end for me. You're "supposed" to have 75w140.

The fill plug can be removed with just a 1/2" drive ratchet or something... that's probably what you're supposed to use actually... The hole in the plug for the drive is REALLY shallow though... I busted my hands a lot trying to get it out (there was threadlocker on it for some reason).

This is all speaking of the rear diff, of course
Old 04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

That trans is a pain in the a$$ to do, I would take it in, not worth the problems, Diff you need to suck the fluid out becaues you at least I dont' have a drain plug. But I am getting some new 373's or 410's because I am haiving a bearing problem there so I will have mine done with RP.

good luck and have fun
Old 04-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Consider Royal Purple throughout your Stang for all your fluids.

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html
Old 06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Just for clarification..... the drain plugs for the T3650 and the 8.8" differential are 3/8"........ not 1/2. Well, on my 2002 GT vert they are, at least.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

when i used to fill the tranny on my '92,i used a hand pump with a hose. i'd put the fluid in a Gatorade bottle,attach the pump,stick the hose in the fill hole and it worked great.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

I bought a hand pump at Advance. It looks like the pump that comes on bottles os hand soap, but a lot bigger andit screws ontotranny fluid bottle and has a plastic tube to run from the end of the pump into the fill hole. Works like a charm.