4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

performance clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:07 AM
red96gtconvtbl
2nd Gear Member

Default performance clutch

I've got a 96 gt vert and was wondering if there was a way to figure out what kind of clutch is in the car w/o taking a bunch of stuff apart. I'm asking this because the clutch is extremely stiff, like I have to use my whole leg to press the clutch, instead of being able to keep my heel planted and press the clutch w/ the rest of my foot like every other stick i've ever driven, except BIG trucks that is. I like the feel of the clutch though, so I'm not complaining, I like the feeling that the clutch is gonna last. The clutch in my dad's s2000 feels much weaker, so I prefer mine easily. I just wanted to know for my own information basically. By the way this is my first mustang, but I'm sure they're not all this stiff. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:10 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: performance clutch

well you could lay under the car, and there is a little plate with one screw in the transmission over the clutch cable connection. This plate is on the drivers side of the transmission. With that plate off you can see in at the clutch and get a general idea of what kind you have as you will be able to see the pressure plate.

may be a ford racing one.... the one I just put in, haven't driven it yet tho , that happens tomorrow :-)
i've heard these are stiff
Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 AM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Well George Im gald to see your geting it wrapped up.

Ok as for the stiff clutch, a ford racing clutch should be a bit easyer then a factory. Stiffer pressure plate springs make the clutches hard sometimes. It very well could be an aftermarket. It realy isnt all that tuff to install a clutch, If I was you I would just pull the inspection plate like ^he said. You probly wont be able to see what type clutch it is, but you can probly see how much clutch material is left.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:10 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ok yoteehunter well how do I set the clutch for the first ride? I had to disengage the adjuster to get the cable off before, do I just pull up on the pedal, depress, and repeat until it feels right?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 AM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Pull the clutch fork forward till it stops then pull the pedal up and hook up the cable, once it is hooked up get in the car and depresh the pedal and release a few times just to make shure it operates smoothly then pull the pedal up with your hand and push the pedal all the way to the floor. You should hear the clutch adjuster click a few times and your all set. DOnt do any of this with the car on. Just listen for the clicks and its set. Then take it easy on it when driving it at first to give it time to set, like dont just go out and race it. LOL