4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Stuff for the stang

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Default New Stuff for the stang

Yesterday, I got a package in the mail from Fedex. YES!!!! My stuff arrived. I ordered the following from Summit racing:
- MSD coil packs
- Taylor 8mm spark plug wires
- NGK TR6 spark plugs
- Royal Purple differential oil

Today, after work I installed some of it. My car has been running only mediocre and under high rpms, it can backfire. I thought that it may have been the ignition. It did have a lot of the original equipment that I had when I bought it. I managed to install the wires and coil packs tonight. Heres how it went.

The MSD coil packs were awesome. No problems. When I pulled the wires, there was corrosion on the number 8 cylinder wire. I changed into a 180 degree thermostat and leaked antifreeze onto the block. Apparantly, some leaked to that wire. I think that may have been the backfiring if that spark plug is not firing correctly from the antifreeze.

Here's my beef. All I heard was about Taylor's quality in wires. I even chose them over the Ford Racing 9mm wires. They were more expensive than FOrd's as well. I am NOT impressed. The wires are nice but I broke two of the plastic clips on the boot to the coil packs. That really worried me on the qulity of the wires. I am going to call Summit Racing tomorrow to get it worked out but I am not happy at all. In addition, I got a drop in idle rpms. The car drops to 1000rpms and sudennly goes to about 600rpms and quivers btwn 600-800 rpms. I did put more dielectric grease on it and it seems to have worked that out but I have to get these wires taken care of soon. Wish me luck

Srry for the long post but I was happy to just finally work on my car some.

UPDATE: Just got off of the phone with Summit. Turns out that I ordered wires for a Crown Vic. According to the compatibility, the coil packs were for all Ford 4.6s. I guess I just misread the site. They are sending me the proper wires now and UPS will pick up the wires I have tomorrow. I was blown away and am now really happy. That is awesome even though it was kinda my fault. +1 Summit Racing!!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:31 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Stuff for the stang

why are you running such a cold spark plug without any nitrous or f/i...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:21 AM
1996mustangGT
1st Gear Member

about the low idle
my car (also a 96 GT) also droped waaay low for changing the plugs out
just wondering if you figured out haw that happened to you
maybe it could help me a little
Old 05-15-2006, 10:27 AM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

I just installed TR6's this weekend myself and had not problem with rpm's. I am not sure the plugs would be the problem.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

why are you running such a cold spark plug without any nitrous or f/i...
nitrous will be getting tuned in June. That is why I put the colder plugs in now. I dont think the plugs themselves did the drop in rpms. I think the terminals didnt get great contact considering that two brackets broke as I was installing them. I think my backfiring is from a bit of antifreeze in the number 8 cylinder. The boot was corroded so I am hoping that was the prob.