4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Catless??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:38 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: Catless??

ORIGINAL: weasel1088

For those of you who run catless...how obvious is it?? by the smell...or is it possible to tell. I live in CA and we have smog ***** and im wondering if i could be caught if a copper smelled it? or saw black smoke shootin out or something. i hear there are huge fines for illegally modifying your car in CA...just dont wanna get slapped with a HUGE fine or anything. im not worrying about smog, there are ways around that, plus im keeping the old midpipe.
if you live in CA.. and want to just swap out the stock mid pipe for one that is uncatted, I would tell you not to take the risk...

i've been told that fines can be up to 10K dollars (i dont know if this is true) but pretend its only like 1 grand,, is getting caught, ticketed and paying a grand woth 2-3 hp?

i say dont bother, ESPECIALLY since youre just gonna stay with the stock mufflers, i recommend keeping the stock H and getting a catback you like

PS> as for 'liking' the smell of an uncatted pipe, im not sure i love it, as in, would enjoy smelling it all the time, it can get nausiating at a drive thru with slow service but it is neat to get a whiff of raw unburnt exhaust fumes every now and then...oh, and if youre like me, and have rolled tips, then they get caked with a brown material you have to scrape/scrub off
Old 06-18-2006, 06:23 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

ORIGINAL: weasel1088

For those of you who run catless...how obvious is it?? by the smell...or is it possible to tell. I live in CA and we have smog ***** and im wondering if i could be caught if a copper smelled it? or saw black smoke shootin out or something. i hear there are huge fines for illegally modifying your car in CA...just dont wanna get slapped with a HUGE fine or anything. im not worrying about smog, there are ways around that, plus im keeping the old midpipe.
if you live in CA.. and want to just swap out the stock mid pipe for one that is uncatted, I would tell you not to take the risk...

i've been told that fines can be up to 10K dollars (i dont know if this is true) but pretend its only like 1 grand,, is getting caught, ticketed and paying a grand woth 2-3 hp?

i say dont bother, ESPECIALLY since youre just gonna stay with the stock mufflers, i recommend keeping the stock H and getting a catback you like

PS> as for 'liking' the smell of an uncatted pipe, im not sure i love it, as in, would enjoy smelling it all the time, it can get nausiating at a drive thru with slow service but it is neat to get a whiff of raw unburnt exhaust fumes every now and then...oh, and if youre like me, and have rolled tips, then they get caked with a brown material you have to scrape/scrub off
same but i use paint thinner to get it off. works like a charm just dont get it on your bumper
Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 PM
drw0392
1st Gear Member

I live in CA and know people who go catless, to be honest I think that you're being a little overly paranoied to think that a cop would pull you over if he smelt raw gas in your exhaust. It will be louder, but if you're running stock mufflers like you said you were, there shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of California Mustangs run catless and aren't bothered by the fuzz (police). If there looking for something to bust you on, believe me, they'll find somehting! So I say, go catless and let the pony out of the coral. (just remember that you'll lose a little acceleration due to a slight loss in low end torque, but you'll make up for it in top end.)
Old 06-18-2006, 08:33 PM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

did you order the mils along with it?? and about the smell it smells pretty bad. especially if you have to start your car in the garage and back it out it just floats all around. i hate when it starts smelling on my clothes. but its worth it.
I bought a tuner.

Is it safe to run it without turning off the rear o2 sensors for a few days? my tuner wont be coming till after the midpipe...

About registering it in another state...i dont know anyone who i could do that with, however i do have family in Humboldt county(northern CA) where emissions is only when you sell or buy a vehicle...i could try to register it at their address...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

$10k fine? Hopefully only a $15 fix it ticket with in 30 days? Wouldent code know?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:10 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

I think the fines and whatnot depend on where you live, and of course how hardcore the cops are about it. I do know that up in the Sacramento area, Davis is supposed to be pretty harsh, as well as driving ANYWHERE near Sunrise after dark. (Sunrise is due to stupid idiots streetracing in traffic) Just remember, some cops DO know their vehicles. I was thinking about going the same route, but I have decided against it for the time being (I live in Sac)
Old 07-15-2006, 04:19 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

By the way, the MRT Catted H that i have is still considered illegal for me.. i live in California, and my cats are approved for every state but California lol... i would have gone no cats and saved $100, but i didnt wanna be to loud with my Stingers. And to the original poster, even if you order some cattted midpipe off the internet like i did, and you want it to be legal, im not even sure if companies make midpipes with California OBD approved cats.. my friend with a 98 cobra had to have a muffler shop order an o/r magnaflow x, and weld in hi flow cats that are Cali approved to be legal.. He spent $2500 on FRPP shorties, that magnaflow 'custom' x pipe, and 40 series weld ins with tips.. he got rhaped pretty much.