4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what to modify?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Default what to modify?

I purchased a new 2004 GT three weeks ago and wanted you guy's opinion on what to modify on it. I am not looking to race at a track so I dont want to go to crazy with the modifications. Basically I am very ignorant when it comes to cars and was looking add a little more pep to the stang while also learning about it. Was thinking about a short throw shifter, something with the air intake, and exhaust. Also does anyone know a site that explains exhaust to a newbie. I am not up to snuff on all the terms...ie cat, catback, off road. Maybe an exhaust for dummies book..........lol

Tks in advance
Old 05-06-2004, 05:17 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: what to modify?

Also forgot to add......what can I do to not void the warrenty on it. I am reading on all the problems with the tremec transmission and don't want to do anything to void the warrenty incase my tranny starts acting up.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:22 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

1st thing I would do is take that damn silencer off from the air filter and possibly exchange the filter to a k&n air filter, those are easy, fast, and cheaps things to do.

for other mods you can check out www.mustangworld.com
Old 05-06-2004, 06:56 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Quick run-down on exhaust terminology...

Your exhaust system consists of 3 parts. The exhuast manifold (headers), mid-pipe (H-pipe), and cat-back, which includes the mufflers and tailpipes. It's called a cat-back because it is the system from the catted H-pipe to the back of the car. If you have to comply with emissions laws in your area, then it's illegal to not have catalytic converters on your car. What most people do though, even if they have to pass emissions, is buy an off-road H-pipe or X-pipe (off-road means no catalytic converters) because they flow better than a catted H-pipe or X-pipe, and keep the stock catted H-pipe to swap it in when they have to smog, then swap the off-road pipe back in. It's not hard and doesn't take very long. As a general rule, an H-pipe will give you better low-end power, and an X-pipe will open up the top end more. You can get an aftermarket cat-back and H-pipe or X-pipe for anywhere from $400 to $800 depending on which brand you want and if you want a catted H-pipe or X-pipe. You can check out http://www.mustangexhaust.com and listen to a bunch of different brands of exhaust systems to determine which one you like best. Hope this helps!
Old 05-06-2004, 08:37 PM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

That clears up a bunch USAMuscle......thank you so much...i am in the military so i will probably just get an exhaust with catalytic converters because I move around alot and that way i dont have to worry about the laws in which ever state I am in.

SCARFACE....do you know where i can get instructions on removing the silencer? Will this cancel my warrenty or is it something that if i have to take it in i can just put it back in?

Tks for putting up with this Noobie
Old 05-07-2004, 01:19 AM
96mustanggt46
2nd Gear Member

do you know where i can get instructions on removing the silencer? Will this cancel my warrenty or is it something that if i have to take it in i can just put it back in?

Fist locate the air intake where the air filter is inside the round plastic thing right behind the pasenger side headlight then unbolt the 1 bolt that holds it in place, you will see a ruber thing sticking into the funder witch is your air silencer, now bend the intake out so the silencer is out of the fender, then you can pull the silencer off and now you got a bigger hole witch=more air witch=more power. frome there put it back together and walaa.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:13 AM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

96mustang wont taking off the silencer open a way for engine heat to enter. and dose the silencer go back on if it had to be put back on for whatever reason.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:08 AM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

Well i successfully took off the silencer tonight...diff. a different a much lower pitch from the engine now...I want to install a new K&N air filter and was wondering if there is a kit to install one without using the air box that surrounds the filter. This would let even more air into the engine.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

You can get a cold air intake (CAI) for $100-250. That will replace the box and the black tubing that goes to the plenum (the thing attached to the thing with the horse on it in the middle of the engine) and normally comes with a new mass air meter. A lot of them come with a K&N filter too.

If you want a new shifter the steeda tri-ax is a good one.

If you want the biggest bang for your buck save about $3500 or so and get a supercharger. you'll get about a %50-60 gain in HP.

As far as the warrentee goes I would talk to your local ford dealership and ask them "If I put in an aftermarket "X" does it viod the warrentee". A lot of stuff can be changed out without voiding it if you have a dealer do it.

-Marc