4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

For those debating about Saleen and KB

Old 07-22-2006, 09:26 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: For those debating about Saleen and KB

Congrats, hope you like it.

I did, like you, extensive research on my own while debating on which rotor drive supercharger to buy. Obviously, I came to a different conclusion than you.
We can debate all day on how to hook up HP, but I didn't include that in my decision making formula. I think the determining factor that leaned me towards the KB was basically I liked the company better than Saleen.
We can talk numbers all day, back and forth, until we are blue in the face and KB would still come out better in the end.
When I tried to call a human who knew what they were talking about at Saleen, I got a mind-numbed robot who could only give me specs. on their product. When I called KB, I got a salesman on the phone who didn't know anything other than how to sell the product who promptly forwarded me to a tech who knew his sh-t. I think on that day, I decided KB all the way.
I know there are a lot of KB haters on here, but what do you expect. The guy on top always takes the heat.
You are going to pay more over all with the KB vs the Saleen. I can't argue that truism with you. But what I can argue about is you are pretty much done with the power potential of the Saleen at 12psi. If you were to decide to go with forged internals, your sol on the boost side of it.
You're incorrect in stating 450 is the outer limit of safety on a forged 4.6. A forged 4.6 will handle 450rwhp safely all day long and depending on how it is built and by who, I'd go 600 on the factory block.
The KB isn't done at 507 rwhp with "full bolt ons". It's done at 507 rwhp with their CAI/boost-a-pump/75mm TB and 90mm MAFS. That is by far "full bolt ons".

I am sincerely happy to hear you are getting what you want with the Saleen. I just thought I would chime in to let the KB haters out there know the other side of the story.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Cams (heads too if you wish) and a meth injection kit will also take both kits much further. Good post bob! This is an excellent price for those who can afford it now. Good luck to all.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

what was the price from THR?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
46blueStang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info man, i was thinking about those earlier you saved me alot of research time
Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

You may have saved 1200 dollars but if you want to make the saleen as efficient as the kb you have some work to do. The Saleen's lower intake is rather restrictive and poorly designed compared to KB's and and needs a good porting, also the Saleens intercooler is not all that great. It does not seal properly and requires some work. Do a search on Stangnet about this very subject.
Both are nice blowers and both companies have crappy customer service! I would be happy with either but if i was paying it would definately be a KB over a Saleen.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:35 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

exactly how much power and boost a stock 4.6 motor hold?[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 07-23-2006, 02:42 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

exactly how much power and boost a stock 4.6 motor hold?[sm=thanx.gif]
depends on the tune...most tend to let go @450rwhp area but some let go at 375rwhp and some have surpassed 500rwhp. Chris Kauffman at Kauffmans Automotive in Dilsburg PA is north of 550rwhp on his stock shortblock and has been for sometime now. Those guys are some of the best around at tuning 4.6's.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:34 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

Congrats, hope you like it.

I did, like you, extensive research on my own while debating on which rotor drive supercharger to buy. Obviously, I came to a different conclusion than you.
We can debate all day on how to hook up HP, but I didn't include that in my decision making formula. I think the determining factor that leaned me towards the KB was basically I liked the company better than Saleen.
We can talk numbers all day, back and forth, until we are blue in the face and KB would still come out better in the end.
When I tried to call a human who knew what they were talking about at Saleen, I got a mind-numbed robot who could only give me specs. on their product. When I called KB, I got a salesman on the phone who didn't know anything other than how to sell the product who promptly forwarded me to a tech who knew his sh-t. I think on that day, I decided KB all the way.
I know there are a lot of KB haters on here, but what do you expect. The guy on top always takes the heat.
You are going to pay more over all with the KB vs the Saleen. I can't argue that truism with you. But what I can argue about is you are pretty much done with the power potential of the Saleen at 12psi. If you were to decide to go with forged internals, your sol on the boost side of it.
You're incorrect in stating 450 is the outer limit of safety on a forged 4.6. A forged 4.6 will handle 450rwhp safely all day long and depending on how it is built and by who, I'd go 600 on the factory block.
The KB isn't done at 507 rwhp with "full bolt ons". It's done at 507 rwhp with their CAI/boost-a-pump/75mm TB and 90mm MAFS. That is by far "full bolt ons".

I am sincerely happy to hear you are getting what you want with the Saleen. I just thought I would chime in to let the KB haters out there know the other side of the story.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

My bad with fordged motor statement with 450rwhp. I know its alot more capible then that. My no means do I hate kenne bell either. If I had the extra few thousand to spare I would. But my house needs furniture and it would be bad rap for me to bring a chick home in my fast and all beautiful car only to reaslize that my house doesn't have a place for you to sit down at lol. BUt like yall said cams, will add me around 15 to 20, and the stroker motor itself will be another 25 to 30 hopefully. My goal is by spring time of 07 to have a high 400rwhp car. Maybe add a 75 shot of GO-baby-Go juice to her.

BUt GT_Bob your appsolutly right on your statment with KBs support team versus Saleen. I'm glad that the good folks at Texas Hot Rods pulled up a spec comparison sheet on both blowers for me and spent about an hour with me helping me with my decision.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:34 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I've just spent a little over three hours doing a LOT of reading on the Series IV through various forums and other information areas... I can give credit to stangnet and corral. Here are the conclusions I've come to.

If you install the Saleen blower on your GT with factory heads and the factory pulley and you see 325 RWHP, kudos to you, that's right where you're supposed to be. This blower CAN be pushed to provide you with 400 RWHP but it's not an easy trip. You can swap the pulley to a 2.80 size, which, at 6000 RPM will be spinning the blower at a little over 14k RPM. It's rated to 14k, so this seems pretty good. The blower can be spun WELL over this though, however it's efficiency is going to go in the hole. You can't get smaller than a 2.80 pulley on it, to get the blower to spin faster you're going to need a bigger crank pulley. With a 2.80 pulley and stock heads and Saleen's intake manifold being stock, you'll go up from the factory 8psi, to 10.5psi. You can probably expect to pick up a little bit of HP like this, 30-35.

The biggest downfall to this blower is the intake manifold. Saleen's intake manifold is extremely restrictive. It can be polished and ported at the ends, however your boost will not drop, as a sign that the porting does not help. The best way to increase its flow is to port it with acid... combine that with some light head work to improve the flow, you'll be looking at seeing your boost drop to 8.5 psi with the 2.80 pulley... the drop in boost indicates that you're getting much better flow. I was able to read on a guy who had this done and having acid ported the intake manifold and port/polish on his heads, he is sitting at 384 RWHP with a 2.80 pulley.

Another weakness of the blower is the stock intercooler. It absorbs a very large amount of heat from the engine because everything is aluminum. There's an easy fix to this, however, Chicane autosport has developed a much better cooler. Now, after purchasing Chicane's cooler, you could have probably bought a cooled 1.7KB. This, added with the other changes I've mentioned, you can probably see over 400 RWHP... it'll be a battle to get there, though.

The battle of KB vs. Saleen depends on how much power you want. If all you want to see is 350 RWHP, for $3600 you can safely get there with the Saleen Series IV... if you want to push the limits of your factory short block, and beyond, the 1.7 KB will take you there for $4800.

This is just what I have read and observed, don't hold me to these facts. If you have any questions on anything I may have left out, drop me a PM.

Edit: I just thought of this, and I'm VERY surprised I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere. If I can get the Series IV before this sale ends, I know that it will not take me where I want to go power-wise. What I was going to do to combat this, was use a little bit of the spray in combination with the blower. The main problem with the Saleen blower is heat... heat soaks to the cooler, and the blower generates a lot of heat... Nitrous has a very nice cooling effect, on top of that, when you spray in nitrous you're not increasing pressure in the intake manifold, so you very likely will see the full 75 HP from a 75 shot. I could imagine the Series IV with the factory pulley @ 8 psi + a 75 shot (TUNED!!!) putting you at the limits of your factory short block... You'll have a very nice 325 RWHP without the juice, add your 75 shot, you'll be at ~380 RWHP and have gobs more torque. Just something to consider.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:37 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

the kb comes with 38's I believe...SO like you said, you most likely will need that, if not 42's...But my question is, would you need an upgraded fuel pump...I see you upgraded the MAF, what about the fuel pump...
No I don't believe you will need a upgraded fuel pump for applications around 400 to 450. I think 500 is achivable without a cobra or svt fuel pump.

HEy GT_Bob may know more about that because he is up there in that HP range.

I don't remeber the exact size of t he pulley to tell you the truth .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those debating about Saleen and KB