4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I get 4.10's or 4.30's for my daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:45 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Should I get 4.10's or 4.30's for my daily driver?

I will say with the stock tires and my mods and gears I could ignite ALL of first gear at will, and at the track I could, and did my first time out, spin all the way through 1st gear, half of 2nd, part of 3rd, and even barked the tires in 4th gear at 80 mph all three runs I made that night.

Thats when I decided to replace the stock rear control arms and put on some dr's. I can't do anthing more than a mild "bark" in 1st now if I just stomp it. Of course dumping the clutch I can still do a smokey - but nothing like before.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

my 2 cents again.

FYI - It's super dangerous to drive around on underinflated radial tires because of the flex in the sidewall. It just kills 'em...maybe kill you too cuz they'll fail. The sidewalls will heat up at speed and let go on ya'. The belts don't want to stay in line either.

You will probably be fine tooling around town and at the track but don't take them on the highway with way low pressures.

Check any tire manufacturer's information and they will tell ya the same thing. The absolute worst thing you can do to a radial tire is drive it underinflated...those spike belts the cops throw at ya' can be bad too

Careful MD...your info is too good. We don't wanna lose ya' pal.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:09 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Hehe thanks **** boy (sorry hehe just had too , that is great info to post about tires, but drag radials are made for lower pressures that typical street tires. Don't get me wrong, if you have your drag radials low enough to cause sidewall flex than your hurting them and your chances of staying alive, but they are much more forgiving than a typical street tire. Ive heard horror stories of underinflated radial tires blowing the rear 1/4 panel off a car (happened to me once in a Camero - don't ask I was young and all I could afford was a mullet car and I had to put an engine in it that POS). Also heard horror stories of Explorer type flips, neither of which I prefer happening to me. I do feel safe even running 18 lbs of pressure around town on dr's. Now once you start getting tire pressure so low the sidewalls start cupping (around 14 lbs on Nitto's) then it gets dangerous. I wouldn't run a street radial at less than 25 lbs safeley on the street - and really 30+ is best.

Thanks for the info Mike - Im not disagreeing with you, just adding my input on dr's. Good idea to post what you did. Don't want people dropping the pressure on their gatorbacks real low.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

is 20 a safe pressure at the track for gattor backs? my last time at the track i was dumping the clutch. the car was stock and i spunn all threw 1st and spun 2nd churped 3rd and churped 4th. i had gotten a 14.6. i just couldnt imagine power shifting i would have probably hit the wall from spinning so much. i never mest with the tire pressure cause i had no idea what to put it at. lol i wanna get some traction next time and im gonna play with the clutch a lil. i was droping the clutch casue i didnt want to mess it up but you have to let the clutch out slow to get traction on stock tires. i had gotten a 2.4 60 ft spinning all 60 ft lol. the bad thing is i wanna get 4:10 but i dont have the money for DRs. what about steeda drag springs do you think they would help hook up on stock tires with 4:10. i know i will spinn but do u think they will help at all. oh and i have to drive about 40 mins to the track on the highway . how long should i wait for the tires to cool down to let the air out of the tires?
Old 06-18-2004, 11:47 AM
03SilverGT
2nd Gear Member

"2000GTIf you didnt spin, then why does it say right in your sig

" With no traction on factory tires. "

If you let out your clutch, and then floor the car with 4.10s (or 3.73s for that matter) the tires should be spinning like crazy. If they are not you are not making the power that you should be, even with a nearly stock car. That is the reason everyone gets drag radials. Before my D/Rs 1st was an absolute nightmare. It would spin all the way thru first, no matter what launch you used, and after you shifted into second it would slide them and then bog, because as everyone knows spinning does not equal fast.

BTW my car should be running low 13s. If i get real lucky and everything goes right maybe a 13.0"

I said with no traction cause that was a long time ago when I ran that, not the other night when i lower the press and could actualy get some good traction. You said you Should be runnin low 13's have you not ran your car, or do you just not want to post your times. I can say I should be running this and that if this was perfect. If you spin alot and are not getting good times just look at the speed you cross the line at, and you can figure what you "should" be running if you can get traction
Old 06-18-2004, 11:52 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Steeda drag springs are fine for a daily driver, but don't expect to go corner carving in em. Yes they will help traction a good bit. I dropped my 60' to 2.2 with 22 lbs of pressure in the rear goodyears. Some ppl say don't go any lower than 25 lbs, but I got better results at 22lbs. Don't, under any circumstance, go lower than 20lbs. Traction may get worse as you go lower though, its best to just experement to see whats best for your setup.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:28 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Hehe thanks **** boy (sorry hehe just had too , that is great info to post about tires, but drag radials are made for lower pressures that typical street tires.
D'oh - should have picked that up about the drag radials dude. Sorry, my bad. You right again. Don't you ever get tired of being right all the time ******?!?

It's true about the gatorbacks though - ha!

P.S. **** boy!?! You're mean.