4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Springs and struts or coilover suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
JimboGT01
3rd Gear Member

Default Springs and struts or coilover suspensions

which do you pefer and what brand?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Springs and struts or coilover suspensions

Coil overs are always the way to go and steeda is always the brand to get when you are buying the serious stuff. Steeda has the most experience and the most race proven parts. If you go with coil overs go all the way though and get the whole tubular a arm and k member front end. Get the weld in full length subframe connectors, tubular upper and lower control arms, steeda sway bars, 18" wheels, G/force tires, and front and rear strut braces and youll out handle a Z-06. Plus no matter how big and bad some dude that dumped 10000 into his engine and romes around on the road killing everyone thinks he is just take him up to a mountain pass. Hell be all over the road and youll stick like glue. Hell go out and spend 10 more on his suspension hahaha. Thats what i always do to the cobras and gts and especially camaros that act all big and bad. I take them up "the pass" Thats were i wore out my buddy carlos's roush trying to keep up with me
Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

H&R Supersports,tokico
Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

Coil overs are always the way to go and steeda is always the brand to get when you are buying the serious stuff. Steeda has the most experience and the most race proven parts. If you go with coil overs go all the way though and get the whole tubular a arm and k member front end. Get the weld in full length subframe connectors, tubular upper and lower control arms, steeda sway bars, 18" wheels, G/force tires, and front and rear strut braces and youll out handle a Z-06. Plus no matter how big and bad some dude that dumped 10000 into his engine and romes around on the road killing everyone thinks he is just take him up to a mountain pass. Hell be all over the road and youll stick like glue. Hell go out and spend 10 more on his suspension hahaha. Thats what i always do to the cobras and gts and especially camaros that act all big and bad. I take them up "the pass" Thats were i wore out my buddy carlos's roush trying to keep up with me
I really hope you don't try to kill yourself by racing a Z06 down a mountian pass.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

lol im not that good yet! I cant take a stock vette but not a z-06. I have all the mods i listed above minus the coil overs (i have eibachs) and the 18" wheels with g/forces/ But hey im proud enough becuase i out handled carlos' roush (which cost twice as much as my car and was built to handle ahahaha!) If you want a roush its becuase of the style not becuase of the handling. For the price of a roush i could build a car out of a stock gt that would run circles around a roush. . .
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I'm sorry, but if you think that with your car you can outrun even a stock C6 on any road course in america, your nuts.

I am sure a coil over suspesion helps alot, but mustangs in general do not handle extremely well, mustangs with any stock suspension parts at all in particular. I love my car, but I still realise it weighs at least a couple hundred pounds more than a vette and simply isn't built to compete on a circle track.

BTW, racing on curves on a public road is not only a real good way to kill yourself and your racing partner, but mom and the carload of minivans as well. I can't say I don't streetrace occasionnaly (drag racing) but racing around a bunch of curves when you can't see whats coming around the next one is suicide.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I'm sorry, but if you think that with your car you can outrun even a stock C6 on any road course in america, your nuts.

I am sure a coil over suspesion helps alot, but mustangs in general do not handle extremely well, mustangs with any stock suspension parts at all in particular. I love my car, but I still realise it weighs at least a couple hundred pounds more than a vette and simply isn't built to compete on a circle track.

BTW, racing on curves on a public road is not only a real good way to kill yourself and your racing partner, but mom and the carload of minivans as well. I can't say I don't streetrace occasionnaly (drag racing) but racing around a bunch of curves when you can't see whats coming around the next one is suicide.
Thanks for the lecture dad. Its not as bad as you think. We just fool around on the corners and then slow down. Just like when you street race. And where i do it there is no one around. We make sure of that. Dont jsut assume. I never said a C6 too i just said a vette. A C5 is what i ment. I am still stuck in the early 00's i guess lol and forget about the C6's and chevy actually making a race worthy vette for once. Besides you're just saying that becuase your car sucks at handling lol
Old 09-21-2006, 07:07 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Even a C5.....

Simply put, a coil over suspesion isn't going to turn your car into a handling machine. You can definatly make a mustang a car capable of running rings around a vette (or dammed near anything else), but a 600 dollar coil over kit isn't gonna get it done.

I got 100 bucks that says there isn't a circle track in the USA you can outrun me on. All I need is a couple hundred feet of straight track at one point or another [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 09-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

You couldn't be more wrong. Mustangs have such a huge aftermarket that you can make your car good at almost anything. I can't think of his name right now (races an orange 98? stang) but he tears up ferraris and vettes around turns. Don't get me wrong its going to be incredibly expensive, but it can definately be done.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:24 PM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

You couldn't be more wrong. Mustangs have such a huge aftermarket that you can make your car good at almost anything. I can't think of his name right now (races an orange 98? stang) but he tears up ferraris and vettes around turns. Don't get me wrong its going to be incredibly expensive, but it can definately be done.
His name is David K, and I wanna see that race on vid there 2000, that would be some funny sh*t. Yea he would most likely catch you in the corners but BUH BYE on any straight away.