4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Running with EGR unhooked

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Running with EGR unhooked

I blocked mine off and got the check engine light so i cleared all codes with a scanner and i haven't seen it since monday morning... If it comes on again i'll let you know. So sweet 99, tell me how putting hot corbonated gasses back into the intake is a good thing? every mechanic i have talked to has said that egr valves do more harm to the car, they only are for emissions. ever think there is a reason why tuners can turn it off??
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanRicer87I blocked mine off and got the check engine light so i cleared all codes with a scanner and i haven't seen it since monday morning... If it comes on again i'll let you know. So sweet 99, tell me how putting hot corbonated gasses back into the intake is a good thing? every mechanic i have talked to has said that egr valves do more harm to the car, they only are for emissions. ever think there is a reason why tuners can turn it off??
I know why tuners disable it because it will build up Carbon crud in the intake and all the way throughout it's path to the cylinders. I had both my EGR and PCV both running into a catch can on my Talon. The exhaust gasses are actually cooler than the temps that the cylinders are. You might possibly make a bit of power by disabling it, maybe not. I don't think the difference is dramatic.
These new cars are made to run within a specific rpm range or they will back off the timing and lose power.
I will contact the mechanic that said having the EGR functioning cools the cylinder temps. If it does cause the cylinder temps to go up there is more likelyhood that knocking would be encounted quicker. ZI'll get back, Mark
Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

the carbon build up is why i blocked it off it ruined my idle control valve

ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: AmericanRicer87I blocked mine off and got the check engine light so i cleared all codes with a scanner and i haven't seen it since monday morning... If it comes on again i'll let you know. So sweet 99, tell me how putting hot corbonated gasses back into the intake is a good thing? every mechanic i have talked to has said that egr valves do more harm to the car, they only are for emissions. ever think there is a reason why tuners can turn it off??
I know why tuners disable it because it will build up Carbon crud in the intake and all the way throughout it's path to the cylinders. I had both my EGR and PCV both running into a catch can on my Talon. The exhaust gasses are actually cooler than the temps that the cylinders are. You might possibly make a bit of power by disabling it, maybe not. I don't think the difference is dramatic.
These new cars are made to run within a specific rpm range or they will back off the timing and lose power.
I will contact the mechanic that said having the EGR functioning cools the cylinder temps. If it does cause the cylinder temps to go up there is more likelyhood that knocking would be encounted quicker. ZI'll get back, Mark
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

SO if I plug both the inlet of my EGR and the Outlet on my exhaust. Will my car run f****ed up? and, could it be simply tuned out on a factory chip if, I took it to dynojet or something?
OK let me give you a quick description on how an EGR works. The egr puts exhaust gases into the intake to put it back into the combustion chamber. The gasses are non flamable and just take up space in the cyl. When it takes up that space it is less air and fuel that can get in there which keeps the cyl temp down. Now with out that dead air in the cyl and the computer not tuned for the it the cyl will still get the same amount of fuel but more air. Do you know what that means? You guessed it lean condition. Do you know what happens in a lean condition? Yup engine goes BOOM. So to answer your question you have to tune it for the EGR delete or hook it back up.

Oh and if you don't plug the intake opening for the EGR that is unmeasured air going into the system. Again that is a lean condition and car goes BOOM.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

So my heck engine light came on because the car was running too lean? so if i ran 93 octane in it do you think that would get it back to running stoich?

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

SO if I plug both the inlet of my EGR and the Outlet on my exhaust. Will my car run f****ed up? and, could it be simply tuned out on a factory chip if, I took it to dynojet or something?
OK let me give you a quick description on how an EGR works. The egr puts exhaust gases into the intake to put it back into the combustion chamber. The gasses are non flamable and just take up space in the cyl. When it takes up that space it is less air and fuel that can get in there which keeps the cyl temp down. Now with out that dead air in the cyl and the computer not tuned for the it the cyl will still get the same amount of fuel but more air. Do you know what that means? You guessed it lean condition. Do you know what happens in a lean condition? Yup engine goes BOOM. So to answer your question you have to tune it for the EGR delete or hook it back up.

Oh and if you don't plug the intake opening for the EGR that is unmeasured air going into the system. Again that is a lean condition and car goes BOOM.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:14 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanRicer87

So my heck engine light came on because the car was running too lean? so if i ran 93 octane in it do you think that would get it back to running stoich?

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Running higher octane will not change a lean condition. Higher octane fuel has a higher flash point which allowes for more timing. more timing= more air and fuel able to enter the combustion chamber= more compression= more heat= need for the higher flash point.

You will have to get a tunner or a tune to make it richer. I suggest you do it very soon or you WILL lose your engine.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

No because your car has an octane sensor and it will adjust it to right back where you were. You computer doesn know about that extra air you have. No matter what octane gas you put in.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

Ok thanks guys i will undo the block off asap, untill i buy my tuner.