4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Will headers cause a car to run lean?

Old 11-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Will headers cause a car to run lean?

Right, an idiot. **** in, **** out....not his fault. The only way a header swop would NOT add power (maybe) is if you are bone stock and install some halfass no-name aftermarket shorties. Maybe you would then only pick up 5 or less HP. The key is, as mentioned above, you need to retune your engine via a dyno or some sort of computer flash unit to achieve the best results. Long tubes definitely add power. End of story.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

If you get longtubes, I would get a tune to go with it. This way your A/F is good... you dont want to blow things up now.. haha... Although, I will say while I did Longtubes on my 2v, and YES they added power... I wouldn't do them again if i had the car, unless I did the work myself. You will only see about 10rwhp (over and beyond the catback and midpipe), and imo, for 1k+ and then a tune, its not worth it. The other bad things about lt's is that if you have to drop your tranny for any reason, you have to take them apart too. There are things i'd do before longtubes, if i had to do it over again in my 2v, and i will be doing in my cobra... just my opinion. I just personally can't base 10 extra rwhp for over 1k... that's just not a good idea, atleast imo. Now if you can do all the work yourself, you'll save ATLEAST 400 bucks in labor, so have at it!

but in the end, I would recommend everyone gets tuned after header install. If your to lean you'll blow something up, and if your to rich your leaving valuable power on the table, and can still damage stuff.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Zero chance you will damage the engine with just a header install, or even running a untuned full boltons car. Every one I have seen is rich, and besides it would have to be REAL lean to damage a N/A 2v car.

My dumbass shop put a tune in my car and told me to drive it home and back to break in the rear gears.

I was at a 15:1 A/F ratio, and not knowing any better had been getting on it. Was down to like 230 WHP lol, dumbasses. But no damage to the car.

Its real hard to blowup a n/a car with just a bad fuel ratio. It would have to be running like **** and pinging really hard, and you better know to get off it if its doing that.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:02 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

2000 - You just never know. You know there have been 2v's, and 4v's out there that will blow really easy... not only on how it's driven while lean/rich - but also, how it was driven before that.

Yes, running to rich can cause damage to the interior of the motor, might take a lil bit longer then being to lean - but it CAN HAPPEN. Personally, when it comes to my cars, i'd rather be safe then sorry... spend more now, to avoid spending more later. So that's how I dish out advice.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:14 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

wow... just wow... until you've had the mods yourself, please don't tell someone they do or don't work. i used to listen to people that said CAIs give like 6-8RWHP. WRONG! try 3-4. i also listened to the whole "get a 70mm throttle body and plenum, especially if you're supercharged! you'll get like 20RWHP in a supercharged car!!". not even close! try 6RWHP. yeah.. you're a tard.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

bustin out the whoopin stick, lol.
ORIGINAL: nanaki

wow... just wow... until you've had the mods yourself, please don't tell someone they do or don't work. i used to listen to people that said CAIs give like 6-8RWHP. WRONG! try 3-4. i also listened to the whole "get a 70mm throttle body and plenum, especially if you're supercharged! you'll get like 20RWHP in a supercharged car!!". not even close! try 6RWHP. yeah.. you're a tard.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

So would buying an SCT Xcal2 be better to buy before headers?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:00 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Did you just recalibrate your speedo when you got your gears??

I would get it tuned at the time you get headers installed... but, I might even go another route like I said... as far as other mods..
Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i also listened to the whole "get a 70mm throttle body and plenum, especially if you're supercharged! you'll get like 20RWHP in a supercharged car!!". not even close! try 6RWHP. yeah.. you're a tard.
Wow...6 hp??? WTF is there a sticky on this board that claims 20 then???

I guess I can rule that out...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

75mm tb/plenum will net you 6-8rwhp depending on your tune. 20hp at the engine maybe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will headers cause a car to run lean?