4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Got a newer GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a newer GT

hope you enjoy your new stang^^, the people that are bashing people for the price they paid for a mustang should really keep their post to themselves. Not everyone is born with reat negotiation skills or have the luxury of having people that do know how to negotiate. If the owner thinks they found a good deal then who are you to tell them they are stupid? just be happy you have skills others do not, and if you do decide to post, not act like a jerk about it.

Nice stang tho man, I bought my redfire 03 gt fully loaded 24k miles for 16k, (1,700 was added on because of lojack/permaplating for my car and my best friends transam)
Old 11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bigdeuucee

some of yall should just face ****..and realize u made a dumbass mistake, we all do, and we all learn from them...im sure not everyone knew everything right away when they got into cars....so for all of yall whining at the bashing! get a nice cup of shut the *** up..and learn about constructive critcisim....everyone has such soft skin around here...ppl gotta learn some how...and if it wasn't for ppl like BRANDSDAMAN and others who bash ppl, ppl would never learn about the good way to do things, how much u should really pay for things...etc

thanks for listening, yall have a nice day

well at least 1 person gets it...

BTW I believe I made it clear that I am not bashing anyone, I never said he was "stupid"... its kids like the poster above who make internet forums a waste of time. You are to learn from others, not just tell each other how great your car is and how you do everything right. Im just trying to help people get the most for their money. If thats wrong of me, then Im glad many of you think im an a$$. From the example that you all set, its an honor to decidedly different.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:17 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000WhiteGT

your telling me that they are comming down 6k on the price? From a dealer? I doubt it very much that they will come down that much.
I got em down to 18 from 23... that's 5k... and that's damn good... it all depends on how much they lost when the bought the car... it jsut so happens that the dealer 'broke even'.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Getting a dealer to come down $6k, you would have to catch alot of things at the right time. I myself, have never been able to get a dealer to come down enough to where I thought it was a good deal. I've been in a position before where I would bring in an X amount of cash, a couple grand lower or so than their asking price and still couldnt get a deal worked out. Kinda depends on the demand of people looking at the car. I think the last one that sold with me trying to work on it that no matter what I offered them, they were gonna take a chance on the others looking at the car to get their asking price. Ultimately, they did.

I've found it a little easlier to deal with private sellers for a couple of reasons.

1. If they are the first owner, they at least know whats been done to the car as far as mods, maintenance, etc. (Its not fool proof but dealers many times have no clue about the cars they sell.)

2. Private owners have to most times sell less than dealers since they cant offer payment plans.

If noone had been showing interest on a dealers lot and had been there awhile, I could see them dropping the price alot. But if they have a few thats interested in it... I just dont see them dropping it much since they could take a chance and stay on their asking price knowing someone out there is gonna pay it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:08 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

well your right in alot of ways, but you other factors include when does the dealer pay his rent, if you visit your potential car or cars often you will be able to pick up when the dealer is itchy to sell something... esp. on private lots or really really big dealer lots.. their overhead is very high and they are sometimes willing to sell at potential profit loss inorder to make ends meet. A dealer however has alot of options and IS NEVER GOING to lose money!.. so dont believe his lies... he may actually lose money in that car, but dealer move equity around all the time so never "feel sorry" for him lol. Also a big consideration is time of year, convetibles go up in price 3-4k during the summer and gown down 4-6k in the winter... like my example... I bought in dead of winter when bills were due and I knew it. Everybody can get a great deal on a car, your not born that way you learn it. The trick is this decide how much the car is worth, how much your going to pay and do NOT budge! If you pay the price you want to pay, you will never go home sore. Also take note, the price you want to pay is also not always the same as its worth. (if your buyin a ferrari or somethign then the rules change) but for mass production cars - you have the upper hand, you can always go somewhere else as to where the dealer should be groveling at your feet.

more rules:

1. NEVER buy the first time you see, or are at the dealer's or a person's house... unless its a viper for 20k
2. Dont trade your car in! (kia and hyundai dealers are different) but as a rule if your car is not messed up, sell it privately you will be able to get 20-80% for your car (depends on total value of course)
3. Never buy sight un seen and even more importantly DRIVEN - and drive from 0-80 to make sure the car is good shape. (now if the car has a warranty then this rule can be bent, so long as you have detailed pics of every square inch of the car. (still a risk in IMO)
4. NEVER EVER TALK MONEY FIRST, let the dealer name his best price - unless you know the value and know exactly howe much you want to spend... so you can either say hey 10k take it or leave it.. or let him name his price and beat him down on it... This can take days, sometimes weeks and sometimes you lose and the car is sold, But remeber there is more than one car and one just like the one you wanted to buy but better to find in the future. It took me 4 days to haggle the price on my car
5. when you find you perfect car, talk about whats wrong with it. Tell the dealer is ugly or its not the right color .. etc, When I first saw my mustang I was like DAYUM (to myself) we played good cop bad cop on them. I had my girlfriend say well do you want it? and I said no lets go home. BANG! thats when the dealer springs to life!!! but, but, but... so I said ok.. i guess Ill drive it. Then when we got back, I still said i dunno... lets just go home ... later that night a phone call - then the next day another trip to the lot... haggling - named a crazy price (13k i think) he was like we cant do that... so we left. later that night (ring ring) well we can do 17500... then we said ok ok - 15k.. (still crazy low) and then that call ended.. the next day ring ring man we want to move this car...16700 !?!? well ok ok we see you guys are trying to help us out, but here was what we can do 16k thats it.. he said let me check... no we cant do that... so we hung up again.. later that night we call him back say "lets quit ***** footing around and do this thing for 16k ok?"... to which he replied "alright"
Yay! i got my car woot!!!... this is game you have to play to get a "good" deal - I know it sucks but it can be fun if you approach that way, and of course you cant be as much of an hard *** if you need the car pronto... anyway I hope this helps some of you see what you need to do to save money.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

also, like in golden's case... if you dont think its a good deal - DONT BUY IT... you dont have to... even though you want to
I know its hard when you get mustang fever, but good things come to those who wait.

also not every dealer will play the game properly, some are diks.. and guess what???? - they never sold me a car.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Very long but very good advice indeed. I would have to agree that winter is a great time to buy a car like a stang since most places just want to get rid of them. So thats in your favor already. I think someone said it as most people see a good deal, and jump on it. Not many wait for a GREAT deal. As far as price that I'm paying for my 04 Cobra, its deffinetly not $20k. But the other factors that I considered were miles, mods, care to the car, and the owner. The condition of the car is immaculate and I havent really ever see a car thats 2 years old taken care of as this one. So I was sold on it. Plus, we wrote an agreement that he would hold the car over winter and I pick it up in March. Since I wouldn't have any place to store it cuz I would rather not drive it in the snow, etc... this was perfect for me. Anyways, thats just my 0.02 worth.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

congrats on the cobra... how about given me some dough MR money bags
Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I wasnt saying you specifically brans, just most people on forums do that sort of thing, and your right about the timing and such. I got my car down from 18k before taxes and such talk em down to 16 with 2 lojacks and 2 cars getting perma plated, plus my 00 v6 with 100k from 3k trade in to 5.5k My friend and i played the same thing as you did, and this was when gas prices were at 3.35 for 87 octane, and it worked wonderfully for us. It's just that I felt that everyone was commenting on how bad the deal was, even though the guy tried to find a better deal.

Good luck with the new car 2000whitegt

Those are some great tips bransdaman78, you should ask a mod to see if you can make a sticky with some of that info, I'm pretty sure it'll help others out looking to trade up
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

congrats on the cobra... how about given me some dough MR money bags
Ha, yea I wish. About half of it is from selling my 04 GT, and the rest is what I've been saving up. But I'll probably get about a $5k loan to finish it off... I need to get some credit anyways so nows a good time as any. As to the poster of this thread, enjoy your stang and have fun in it. Your gonna get alot of looks and you'll get the mod bug eventually if you dont already have it.