4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turn Signal/Hazard light flasher problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:28 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default Turn Signal/Hazard light flasher problem

Alright, here's one I know I should know, but I don't off the top of my head, especially not on this mustang since I've never worked on one before. Anyway, my turn signal gave up tonight. I tried to turn on the flashers because I was looking for someone's house and as usual, someone behind me wanted to go 90 through the neighborhood, so I tried to turn on the hazards and pull to the side, but they didn't work. When I did it I also remembered them not working before when I tried them another time.

Well, oh well I thought, but then as I was driving away a few minutes later, I noticed the turn signals no longer worked. I tried the hazards again, nothing, turn signal, nothing. Eventually after pushing the hazard light button enough and flipping the turn signal around enough I finally got one side blinking with the hazards, and when I got it back in the garage I even got both sides going for just a little while, but the turn signals don't work at all through all this.

I also noticed what can't be described as anything but a squeak as the flashers are flashing. I got the right sides going and from under the dash on the drivers side it's fairly noisily squeaking. I'm guessing the relay or something has gone bad, but I was surprised to hear a squeak, I just assumed it was all electrical and there was nothing mechanical about it.

Anyway, I searched around and found various questions, but mainly in 5.0, and I don't even know if that would apply to me. I figured a quick post here could probably get me a quick answer and I can still run down to Advance Auto Parts and grab a relay or whatever I need before they close.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Turn Signal/Hazard light flasher problem

my first guess would be a faulty relay since they work intermittently
Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Did you check the blinker fluid?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

I knew that one was coming.

It was this sucker right here... Off to Advance (hopefully they'll have something in stock).

Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

Sonofabitch I was just going to say that. You're lucky I was taking a **** and you beat me to it[:@]
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hmm... So maybe not. I got a replacement relay and stuck it on and it still does the same thing. I also noticed, that "squeaky" noise only happens when it's not working right (like only the right is flashing when the hazards are on). If both sides are blinking for the hazards then it works fine. Now I'm stumped... I'm gonna go check the fuse but the fuse is for "Exterior Lamps", so I assume that if that was the problem then all of my exterior lights would be dead.

Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

check your pm
Old 11-27-2006, 10:39 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

I'm tellin ya....it's the blinker fluid....

A piston return spring must've thrown it outta whack.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 PM
HpOoRwSeEr
2nd Gear Member

^ LMAO [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The switch is dirty. Either take it apart and clean it, or replace it. I've had this problem many times when living on country roads.
ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Alright, here's one I know I should know, but I don't off the top of my head, especially not on this mustang since I've never worked on one before. Anyway, my turn signal gave up tonight. I tried to turn on the flashers because I was looking for someone's house and as usual, someone behind me wanted to go 90 through the neighborhood, so I tried to turn on the hazards and pull to the side, but they didn't work. When I did it I also remembered them not working before when I tried them another time.

Well, oh well I thought, but then as I was driving away a few minutes later, I noticed the turn signals no longer worked. I tried the hazards again, nothing, turn signal, nothing. Eventually after pushing the hazard light button enough and flipping the turn signal around enough I finally got one side blinking with the hazards, and when I got it back in the garage I even got both sides going for just a little while, but the turn signals don't work at all through all this.

I also noticed what can't be described as anything but a squeak as the flashers are flashing. I got the right sides going and from under the dash on the drivers side it's fairly noisily squeaking. I'm guessing the relay or something has gone bad, but I was surprised to hear a squeak, I just assumed it was all electrical and there was nothing mechanical about it.

Anyway, I searched around and found various questions, but mainly in 5.0, and I don't even know if that would apply to me. I figured a quick post here could probably get me a quick answer and I can still run down to Advance Auto Parts and grab a relay or whatever I need before they close.

Thanks guys!