4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tailshaft seal leaking?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Tailshaft seal leaking?????

Ok, I just took my 98 in to have it serviced and the guy brought it to my attention that my tailshaft seal is leaking. Also said my cam seal is leaking as well. I dunno that I believe him because no fluids are ever low, and there are no drips or spots under my car ever. He also showed me this thing that looks like a yellow cherry kinda. He said that was something Ford put in their trannys to tell if it has ever been serviced. Mine had not. Then he told me my tranny pan had a sizeable dent in it.

(Then the printout showed numerous oil leaks and tranny leaks, but my motor is bone dry and so is the tranny.)

So, here are my questions. Sorry but I'm no tranny guy and dont get very deep into engines and whatnot so some of this is fairly new to me.

1.) How hard is it to change those seals if they were leaking, and about how much does it cost?
2.) Where exactly is the tailshaft? I think its where the tranny bolts up to the driveshaft, but am I correct? Cause i do have a vibration at certain speeds...
3.) If these cars are overhead cams, then how did he find the cam seal leaking from the very bottom of the car?

Sorry if some of these are dumb questions, but a guy's gotta learn somewhere.

On a side note, I know not to believe these quick oil change places, but just wanted some opinons and views.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tailshaft seal leaking?????

i have a 2003 gt. my tail shaft seal is leaking too. your correct, it is the seal that is where the driveshaft goes into the trans. im in a trans class right now and you need a special tool to put that seal in correctly otherwise it will leak again.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:49 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tailshaft seal leaking?????

My main concern is that there was nothing under the car. Everything is bone dry and not even that dirty. They werent offering to fix it as they do with other things they "find" messed up, but I cant figure out why it would be leaking and how big of a pita it is to change. I would have to take it to a shop myself, but dont really wanna take it right now with Xmas coming up. Im wanting to get a new set of gears and get rid of my 4.30s so I wanted to wait and take it in when I have those installed.

What about the cam seal? If it is overhead cammed, can he really tell from the underside of the car if that is leaking if all he can see is the oil pan and such?