4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

powerdyne 8 psi kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: powerdyne 8 psi kit

ORIGINAL: gtpcoupe

im looking at one on summitracing for 2900$, anyone ran one of these? also was wondering if everything would hold up ok with this? i know the internals should have no problem as im not going to be making too much HP on the NPI heads, i was thinking probley a 50 WHP gain, would you guys say the same? the clutch was the main thing i was worrying about, the clutch was replaced a few years back, buts its just a stock one, tranny should be fine as well is assume, 320 WHP i hear no problem outta the t-45, well was just wanting to get yall opinion on this kit, and as far as wanting to get a blower instead of heads and cams and all that is, i can always just add those later on down the line, and it will save me a bunch of $ not having to have someone tear apart the engine as apposed to this bolton kit, but what do you guys say?
Do you still have the stock NPI intake and cams? If so even adding a blower won't add much power. My friend added a Vortech to his stock NPI and he barely broke 250rwhp...thats about where i was with just a PI H/C/I swap...if you change to a PI intake and PI cams you will easily break the 300rwhp mark and be much happier with your powerband (NPI intake/cams choke at 4500rpms)
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

yes i still have the NPI heads, everything is stock, a 70WHP gain is great, i was expecting less, then when/if the engine blows ill rebuild with better parts, put on better H/C/I and ill be all set, the blower will last a long time, also im sure if i had more mods id tear the stock internals/clutch/tranny up ill wait until i get enough money to do a complete build.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:23 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Well its ok if you have NPI heads they aren't so bad, its the other NPI parts that really suck...just do like these guys have said and stay away from Powerdyne because they really suck. The blower is not a Reverse Rotation so the inlet/outlet piping in all twisted and restricts flow. Basically they took the 5.0 blower and made it fit the 4.6 engine bay instead of designing a kit to fit the 4.6. Go with a Vortech/Paxton/Procharger or a Positive Displacement blower that will replace your intake.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Alright, I have a powerdyne on my Mustang, not because I put it there, but because the previous owner put it there.

With powerdyne, you're basically making a bet. Sometimes you'll get a good quality supercharger that will last you just as long as any other, and then there are, many times as you've probably seen with the complaints that you could end up with a real POS. Is it just that it's only people who are unhappy that are giving ratings, possibly, but unlikely. The only real unique thing about them is that they don't require you to tap the oil pan, but in truth, during installation it really only takes what 10 minutes to do that at most. Even then, the installation guide with the product is by far the most worthless piece of crap ever written and so even with it's "ease of installation", figuring out how to connect it, could still be more hassle then a harder install with easier instructions. Whether you need them or not, it's just worth mentioning. I'm lucky to say that mine has not broken down yet, but don't think I'm not leary. I'll probably switch over to a Procharger or something else with better ratings and performance later. Either that, or I believe you can get a Powerdyne rebuilt by an outside company to get a pretty good product that matches Procharger and other well known brands. I think that might be around 400 bucks for a rebuild, so in my case, this might be smart to save money. But if you're starting off without one, I would just look elsewhere. If you do test you're luck and go cheap you may get a decent one, but be forewarned as well, if you get a crappy one, don't expect a lot of help from customer service. I've already tried calling them once after I read a couple reviews. I pretended I had some problems, besides not knowing really anything about the product, they didn't seem like they really wanted to help anyways.

But all in all...I think...DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH POWERDYNE!!! K that's all.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 AM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

yea thanks for the replies, im going with the paxton Novi 1000, i might go with the reverse roatation depending on how much more $, but i hear its almost nessisary to have the car dyno tuned to make sure your a/f ratio is on, the guy said he could tune it, but he doesnt have a dyno, or is there a way i could get a mail tune that will work? he can get a discount on the blower so thats another reason im going to go with him installing it, even though h charges 50$ an hour, but it shouldnt take to long i wouldnt think so probley 600$ for install which isnt bad to make sure its done right, but what should i do about the tuning thing, b/c there are no dyno's around here.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Well, I don't know, but I think a dyno tune is just the best way to go. If I was you, I would just take a weekend and drive the 100 miles or so to where a Dyno is located and get it tuned that way. I wouldn't want to put 1000s of dollars in my car and not get the most out of it. It'd be like buying a bodykit and then turning around and not get it painted cuz the nearest body shop is 70 miles away (hope no one would have that problem). If you want it done right, I think you'll want a dyno tune. I'm not saying a handheld tuner or something couldn't do the job, it's just, how good of a job.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dastangman

Well, I don't know, but I think a dyno tune is just the best way to go. If I was you, I would just take a weekend and drive the 100 miles or so to where a Dyno is located and get it tuned that way. I wouldn't want to put 1000s of dollars in my car and not get the most out of it. It'd be like buying a bodykit and then turning around and not get it painted cuz the nearest body shop is 70 miles away (hope no one would have that problem). If you want it done right, I think you'll want a dyno tune. I'm not saying a handheld tuner or something couldn't do the job, it's just, how good of a job.
FYI alot of shops dump custom tunes into handheld tuners and use them to tune the car. A custom tune on a handheld is the same as a custom tune on a chip (other than you can modify it yourself later on down the road).

If you cannot get to a dyno you will need a wideband a/f meter, around 400 bucks for the entire setup. The person that is going to tune your car MUST check the a/f ratio somehow.

www.modularpowerhouse.com can sell you a kit that comes with a tune, and it is 99.99 percent likely you will not have to change it once you download the tune. However, you will still need to check the a/f ratio to make sure everything is ok.