4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Signs of a Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 04:30 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Default Signs of a Coolant Leak?

I was reading something about blown head gaskets and it said one of the signs is the appearance of a grey/milky ring around then top of the oil cap. I took a look at the top of my oil cap and I had a white ring around the perimeter. Should I be worried? I am a tiny bit low on coolant (like 5mm under the line), but I haven't filled it since I've owned the car.

Should I be worried about a blown head gasket? I don't notice any loss of oil or of performance. I also can't see any leaks around my intake manifold. Also, where I live there is alway alot of frost and condensation in the mornings, and I also have small leak where the oil filler spout connects to the valve cover. I am wondering if this ring is just because of normal condensation that might seep in during normal use. My plugs didn't have any antifreeze on them when I changed them. Also, it has been below freezing here for a long time so I am unable to tell if there is any white smoke from coolant because it hasn't been warm enough yet. From what I can remember when it was warm, there were no signs of any white smoke and I have never noticed any smell of burning antifreeze.

What does everybody think? I am sure I am probably just imagining things, but as much money as I have put into this car, I don't want there to be any big problems.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Gooman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Signs of a Coolant Leak?

I wouldnt worry about it,it is probably condensation frombeing cooler outside and not getting your moto fully heated up.I used to have a vw that would turn the oil milky in real cold temps due to this,no coolant in that bitch.Is your coolant level going down in the tank?If so put in a bottle of Dyke brand stop leak and get a 05 or newer from the stealer...............merrychristmas happyholidaze
Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

If the car stars fine and drives fine you have NO worry's! I have blown a head gasket in my car... trust me you will have NO DOUBT when you blow the head gasket! The car will be VERY hard to start! And run like Sh*t! A blown headgasket is not something you can drive around on for awile... like MABEY 20-30 miles untill your motor hydrolocks!As for stop leak additive, orANY additive for that matter, i wouldnt use one in my life EVER!that stuff gets in the motor it's just plain no bueno! If you have a leak, fix it right or don't fix it at all!! Also... use only distilled water in it when adding water... regular tap water is why people have things rusting! I go by Ford specs always!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

Almost all Mod motors have the milky residue on the oil cap......Your oil is what you are looking to change into a milky yoo hoo. You will also have a white smoke pouring out of your exhaust and if you put your hand over your pipes........you will actually taste the sweet flavor of the anti freeze. My Lightning has the residue and I FREAKED out the first time I saw it.