4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

JLT RAI help (Going lean?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
JT76

Default RE: JLT RAI help (Going lean?)

my car was running lean with just intake, tb plenum, x pipe and catback, without a dyno tune i was making only 223rwhp with the car falling on its *** after 4500 rpm....after the dyno tune i made 250.XX rwhp....i guess every car is different
Old 03-14-2007, 06:43 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

All the questions are no problems. You'd never learn if you didn't ask right?.. And I think everyone has a bit of newbie still in them.

But to answer your question, no, If you used one of the tunes that were preloaded onto the tuner, you wouldn't have to get it dyno tuned, but it would be still a good idea to get the A/F ratio checked on the dyno. And since you're supposed to do this, you might as well justhave gottena dyno tune to begin with. I'm not sure if the SCT comes with any canned tunes, but I know the predator does. It seems like you're a little confused on what kind of tunes there are, so I'll try to clear it up for you.

There are two types of tunes that come on a tuner. One is a "canned" tune. This tune is programed onto the tuner directly from the company that made the handheld tuner (i.e. DiabloSport Predator). This is a tune that a lot of people have problems with, and typically don'tsee much performance gains from. That's why a lot of people say these tunes are junk (which they are for those reasons). I believe only the Predator only comes with these "canned" tunes. But I'm not 100% sure of it.

The second type is tune is a custom tune designed specifically for your mods. This is one of the tunes that is referred to as a "mail order" tune. There are shops that have tuners who customize these tunes for you based on what mods you have on your car. These are good tunes and you do get performance gains from these. But with these, It is your responsibility to get your A/F checked on a dyno. Ifyou don't get on a dyno to make sure your A/F ratio is good, you're at risk of doing serious damage to your motor if the tune is off. Every car is different, so every car's A/F ratio wont be exactly the same. So it's impossible to know if your A/F ratio is good after you load the tune unless you get on a dyno and check it. While on the dyno, you're supposed to do what's called datalogging. In short, datalogging is capturing data from that dyno pull to give back to your tuner(whoever customized your tune) in case revisions to the tune need to be made. If it is off, you send that info that you datalogged back to your tuner(usually through email) and have him revise it (make corrections). Then you get on a dyno and check it again. You do this as many times as it takes until your A/F ratio is good. The downside to this is you could go back and forth between contacting your tuner and getting a revised tune, to getting up on the dyno and checking it on a dyno. That's aPITA.But nowadays, tuners have gotten so good at making these tunes that most of their tunes aren't that far off and don't need much revision, if any at all. But you should still ALWAYS get it checked on a dyno! Most tuners include these tunes with the price of the handheld tuner, usually not exceeding $400. But if you already have a tuner and want a tune, they can send you a tune through email. This is the second type of mail order tune. These are around $150. Mail order tunes seem complicated and are complicated, but they can also be a very easy and effective way to get more power safely out of you car.
Lot's of good information in this post!

It should be a sticky!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

^ Lol. Thanks bro. Anyone else have anymore questions? Ask away. I'll try my best to answer them.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

All the questions are no problems. You'd never learn if you didn't ask right?.. And I think everyone has a bit of newbie still in them.

But to answer your question, no, If you used one of the tunes that were preloaded onto the tuner, you wouldn't have to get it dyno tuned, but it would be still a good idea to get the A/F ratio checked on the dyno. And since you're supposed to do this, you might as well justhave gottena dyno tune to begin with. I'm not sure if the SCT comes with any canned tunes, but I know the predator does. It seems like you're a little confused on what kind of tunes there are, so I'll try to clear it up for you.

There are two types of tunes that come on a tuner. One is a "canned" tune. This tune is programed onto the tuner directly from the company that made the handheld tuner (i.e. DiabloSport Predator). This is a tune that a lot of people have problems with, and typically don'tsee much performance gains from. That's why a lot of people say these tunes are junk (which they are for those reasons). I believe only the Predator only comes with these "canned" tunes. But I'm not 100% sure of it.

The second type is tune is a custom tune designed specifically for your mods. This is one of the tunes that is referred to as a "mail order" tune. There are shops that have tuners who customize these tunes for you based on what mods you have on your car. These are good tunes and you do get performance gains from these. But with these, It is your responsibility to get your A/F checked on a dyno. Ifyou don't get on a dyno to make sure your A/F ratio is good, you're at risk of doing serious damage to your motor if the tune is off. Every car is different, so every car's A/F ratio wont be exactly the same. So it's impossible to know if your A/F ratio is good after you load the tune unless you get on a dyno and check it. While on the dyno, you're supposed to do what's called datalogging. In short, datalogging is capturing data from that dyno pull to give back to your tuner(whoever customized your tune) in case revisions to the tune need to be made. If it is off, you send that info that you datalogged back to your tuner(usually through email) and have him revise it (make corrections). Then you get on a dyno and check it again. You do this as many times as it takes until your A/F ratio is good. The downside to this is you could go back and forth between contacting your tuner and getting a revised tune, to getting up on the dyno and checking it on a dyno. That's aPITA.But nowadays, tuners have gotten so good at making these tunes that most of their tunes aren't that far off and don't need much revision, if any at all. But you should still ALWAYS get it checked on a dyno! Most tuners include these tunes with the price of the handheld tuner, usually not exceeding $400. But if you already have a tuner and want a tune, they can send you a tune through email. This is the second type of mail order tune. These are around $150. Mail order tunes seem complicated and are complicated, but they can also be a very easy and effective way to get more power safely out of you car.
Wow man, thanks a ton for all the help and info! I guess its about time I start checking around for dyno shops in my area since I'm gonna be completing my exhaust soon...

+1 on the sticky idea, this info is great.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

This thread got off topic. I apologize to the original poster for that.

But If you guys think this should be a sticky I guess just keep requesting it. And since it did get off topic, I don't have a problem starting a new thread so that a mod could sticky it. There is also a little bit more info I could add. If one of the mods wants this to be a sticky in a new thread, just PM me and let me know.

Also, you guys should make sure you subscribe to this thread in case it doesn't get stickied. That way you can always come back to it for reference. If anyone has anymore questions, feel free to post or PM me. I'll try my best to answer your questions. I'm working now and am about to be away from my computer so I won't be able to respond until later.