4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying An 04 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:50 PM
NeedaMustangBad

Default Buying An 04 Mustang

I recently posted this in the new member area, but was told you 4.6 guys will be helpful. I currently own a 2003 cavalier and I am looking into selling it soon. My dream car is a 2004 Mustang GT. This may be a newbish question, but would I run into any problems buying a 2004 Mustang with about 6,000 miles on it? I don't know if the previous owner has done the necessary 3,000 mile oil changes. Any help would be awesome! I plan getting it around the end of May. Everyone like their 2004 GT's?!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying An 04 Mustang

ORIGINAL: NeedaMustangBad
I recently posted this in the new member area, but was told you 4.6 guys will be helpful. I currently own a 2003 cavalier and I am looking into selling it soon. My dream car is a 2004 Mustang GT. This may be a newbish question, but would I run into any problems buying a 2004 Mustang with about 6,000 miles on it? I don't know if the previous owner has done the necessary 3,000 mile oil changes. Any help would be awesome! I plan getting it around the end of May. Everyone like their 2004 GT's?!
You shouldn't have any problems if it is a stock gt. Be wary of heaviliy modded cars cause they tend to be pushed harder. Though with only 6k that wouldn't be a huge deal.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

I have an 02 gt, but I don't forsee a problem with the buy you're asking about. As always, make sure you drive the car and have a second pair of eyes look and drive it as well.Sounds like a good deal. Just remember, that these 4.6's are slow as sh*t.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

Rainy day- Thats an awesome avatar. Work would be SO much better.....

An '04 with 6k? Thats nothing......You should be fine, the cars practically still new. Definitely take it for a spirited test drive. Make sure it drives nice and straight with no unusual shakes, shimmys, or rattles. You don't want an accident car.
-And their not really that slow.....I don't know how so many people can say that. How much faster do you needyour carto be? (assuming it doesn't go to the track)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TC713
One can dream. Give me that and a hammock for a power nap and I'd be the happiest employee EVER! One of our consultants in Colorado's company has a friday happy hour (in the office) once a month - that's a step in right direction....lol.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
piledriver
Banned

An '04 with 6k? Thats nothing......You should be fine, the cars practically still new. Definitely take it for a spirited test drive. Make sure it drives nice and straight with no unusual shakes, shimmys, or rattles. You don't want an accident car.
-And their not really that slow.....I don't know how so many people can say that. How much faster do you needyour carto be? (assuming it doesn't go to the track)
I hear you bro, they aren't that slow, but I just had a Novi 2000 installed last week, and I am already wanting more power.
She's putting down 411rwhp, 385lbft torque, it's a totally different car with the SC. To the other guy,
hell yeah, go ahead and get that '04, but if you are going to mod it, don't do what I did. I spent almost $6000 on mods before I dropped another $5500 for the SC and install. If I had to do it over again, I would of just gotten gears and a new shifter, maybe subs, then went for the SC.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: piledriver

I hear you bro, they aren't that slow, but I just had a Novi 2000 installed last week, and I am already wanting more power.
She's putting down 411rwhp, 385lbft torque, it's a totally different car with the SC. To the other guy,
hell yeah, go ahead and get that '04, but if you are going to mod it, don't do what I did. I spent almost $6000 on mods before I dropped another $5500 for the SC and install. If I had to do it over again, I would of just gotten gears and a new shifter, maybe subs, then went for the SC.

Yeah, I hear that a lot. Shoulda just went with a SC from the start. Thats why i'm not wasting money on all that stuff right away. I bought wheels and headlights. Probably drop it an inch or two and call it quits. Drive this for a while and trade it in or something. I don't feel justified spending the dough on what bolt ons give you.
I see what people are saying when they call it slow.....by todays standards and what their putting out- the chargers/magnums/camaros/new stangs etc etc. but I mean really- how fast do you need to go if you don't go to the track? Around here, all that power would just be a waste.....go 0-50 as fast as you can before you get stopped at a light?
don't get me wrong.....I love speed as much as the next. And once you have a taste, you need more and more. Kinda like turbos. Its a little bit like crack. See my other car down below?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
NeedaMustangBad

Well coming from a four cylinder cavalier, I'm sure it will be fast enough for me. It's not just the speed, but the body style and aggressivness that I love about the car. I'll be sure to take it for a test drive. Would there be any problems with the car sitting for years on the same oil?