4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil consumption with Mac long tubes *chime in*

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default oil consumption with Mac long tubes *chime in*

I pulled my new motor (350 miles) after having oil consumption (along with other issues related to the 1st machine shop). I sent the motor to a very reputable shop and the guy working on the motor asked me an odd question... "did you have Mac headers on this motor?" I said yes and he said that is probably 1 (possably the main) reason why. He said to do a search on the net. I did a quick search and came up with this.
Anyways I've decided to not put them back on when I get my motor back. Anyone else with similar issues?
http://forums.modulardepot.com/4-6l-...-problems.html
http://modularfords.com/forums/1996-...ulars-216.html
type in m0dularf0rds .com before the /forums/... in the last one (substitute the 0's for o's)

Mike
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: oil consumption with Mac long tubes *chime in*

Wow, thats good to know, seems to be a 4V problem but some have reported it with their 2V's as well, sucks I would get on the horn w/MAC and voice your concerns.

E.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:30 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

yeah it does suck and it seems like this has been going on for a while, I sure Mac knows already but I may have to try to contact them. I'm sure it won't get me anywhere, just curious if many 2v folks like myself have had problems...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

I pulled my new motor (350 miles) after having oil consumption (along with other issues related to the 1st machine shop). I sent the motor to a very reputable shop and the guy working on the motor asked me an odd question... "did you have Mac headers on this motor?" I said yes and he said that is probably 1 (possably the main) reason why. He said to do a search on the net. I did a quick search and came up with this.
Anyways I've decided to not put them back on when I get my motor back. Anyone else with similar issues?
type in m0dularf0rds .com before the /forums/... in the last one (substitute the 0's for o's)

Mike
That's amazing!
Kudos to your shop for picking it up!

I would have filed that one along with muffler bearings if I hadn't seen other people having the same problem.

It just goes to prove that no matter how much experience you have, there will always be some totally oddball problem that can come out of nowhere and cause you grief.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

Mike

I would have filed that one along with muffler bearings if I hadn't seen other people having the same problem.

don't forget about blinker fluid.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:29 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

don't forget about blinker fluid.
Haha!!!!

Good one!

Should I run synthetic or normal?

When I was a kid we used to randomly call people up on the phone and pretend to be ATT technicians.
We would tell the person that ATT was going to be blowing out the phone lines so they should wrap their phones in plastic bags so the debris would not get all over their house!

Hey, it was the 60's /70's.
We had to do something for fun

Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

This is complete BS. I have MAC longtubes and when I put them on I had bad oil consumption problem. So bad that I lost enough oil to spin rod bearings and destroy my engine. So I did the same as the poster and researched it and found the same threads. Got pissed and called MAC. They laughed at me. So when I took the motor out I brought the heads to the machine shop for some cleaning and upraded springs. I told them that MAC headers killed my engine. The guy laughed at me and said "who told you that BS". He pulled my valve seals and showed me that they were dryrotted (common ford problem) that was the problem. Had nothing to do with the LTs but when I put them on I could tell there was smoke coming out of the exhaust because of the better flow.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

This is complete BS. I have MAC longtubes and when I put them on I had bad oil consumption problem. So bad that I lost enough oil to spin rod bearings and destroy my engine. So I did the same as the poster and researched it and found the same threads. Got pissed and called MAC. They laughed at me. So when I took the motor out I brought the heads to the machine shop for some cleaning and upraded springs. I told them that MAC headers killed my engine. The guy laughed at me and said "who told you that BS". He pulled my valve seals and showed me that they were dryrotted (common ford problem) that was the problem. Had nothing to do with the LTs but when I put them on I could tell there was smoke coming out of the exhaust because of the better flow.
Is seem that not everyone with Macs have this problem, and your sounds like it wasn't linked to it but why is itthat thisproblem doesn't happen with people with Kooks, BBK, Bassani, etc?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Right after I got my long tubes put on I blew my motor, I don't think it had anything to do with the actual headers, moreso the installers.
Since I've had my MAC longtubes for almost 2 years and they're fine.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 AM
JT76

careful you dont step in the bull ****