4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.0 to 4.6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 to 4.6 swap

ORIGINAL: LS1Killer91

Hey Racer02GTstang.....uh...doyou know what you aretalking about? My wife's 01' GT is putting down 380-390 at the wheels. Without nitrous, and without a power adder. Cams alone are (depending on the grind) a 50-75 hp jump. From a stock 260, you are at 310-320. Heads, ported and polished add anywhere from 15-30 hp (again depending on the port job). Now you are in the neighborhood of 335-340. Now, having the cams and heads, you have to add a tune to keep it running right. That can add anywhere from 10-15hp. Keep in mind, this is without the internals, CAI, the intake manifold, underdrive pulleys, imtake plenum, timing adjuster, Longtube headers, or X or H pipe. So it is realistic enough to say with all of that, you CAN far exceed 335 rwhp. Hell, I did! I do like your idea of putting nitrous on the car. There really isnt many things in this world that are as fun as the "giggle gas"...lol
HAHAHAHAHHAAHA...HAHAHAHAHAHA.....HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh yeah, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I'm interested in knowing the secrets to getting 380 rwhp out of a sohc 4.6, cause I don't believe anyone has actually done this yet.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

To the original poster, LS1 swap it. Also 380rwhp NA.....[sm=bs.gif]
Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Hey Racer02GTstang.....uh...doyou know what you aretalking about? My wife's 01' GT is putting down 380-390 at the wheels. Without nitrous, and without a power adder. Cams alone are (depending on the grind) a 50-75 hp jump. From a stock 260, you are at 310-320. Heads, ported and polished add anywhere from 15-30 hp (again depending on the port job). Now you are in the neighborhood of 335-340. Now, having the cams and heads, you have to add a tune to keep it running right. That can add anywhere from 10-15hp. Keep in mind, this is without the internals, CAI, the intake manifold, underdrive pulleys, imtake plenum, timing adjuster, Longtube headers, or X or H pipe. So it is realistic enough to say with all of that, you CAN far exceed 335 rwhp. Hell, I did! I do like your idea of putting nitrous on the car. There really isnt many things in this world that are as fun as the "giggle gas"...lol
aight first man, the sohc 2v can and will only make at most 350-360 rwhp...and thatsthe biggest stroke, and bore you can go with, and the biggest freaking cam you can find, with the heads ported to hell and back. and really 360 is pushing it. i had a guy tell me the other day that his roush, with a cam and full bolt on, was making 400rwhp...i dont think i have ever laughed so hard. come to find out his car is making 290rwhp. i guess he forget to mention the other 110hp that he didnt have. you have to understand something, the 2v heads are absolutley horrible. now yo go with a 3v and yes you can make 400rwhp n/a but ur crazy thinking that a 2v will make that kinda power. unless you have a power adder turbo, s/c, or nitrous its not gonna happen. now im not knocking the idea of goin to a 4.6. personally its not a bad swap, the only downside is that you have to have a power adder. but just a thought.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

just about every heads, cam, full bolt on car i have seen makes about 300ish rwhp... ZW99gt is stroked to a 5.1 i believe and has raising the compression with all new forged internals and stage 2 cams, even has a new intake manifold...

i know code has exceeded 335rwhp, but he has alot in the car to do so, while also still keeping it streetable... if you are planning an all out race setup, im sure you can get 360rwhp out of it n/a... but you wont get it without a rough cam making it hard to drive....

i have also only seen cars gain about 15-24rwhp from cams.... so say 40 hp max at the crank. now blower cars, it can add alot more than that...
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

I can do it because I can! I know EXACTLY what my 306 does, because I BUILT IT!!! I know all of the specs, I know all of the abilities, Like I said above, I just want to be different. So spare me the differences between the two, and quit trying to flex your "knowledge", because your not impressing anyone! LOL....I just wanted to be an ***.. I am trying to convert it because I want a more up to date engine that realistically requires less maintanence than the 306. I know a 4.6 transplant may not sound like a good idea to most people, but hey, you don't know until you try! now, the engine wont be a 2v 260hp stock motor...not a chance in hell! It will have aftermarket heads, cams, porting, you know the standard stuff to go fast. I know, that with that done, it WILL out perform the 306, and coming in almost 1100 lbs lighter than a SN-95 chassis, it will out perform most of the cars out there too.
Don'tlet 'em get you down buddy! I do think sohc motors are more expensive and harder to work on, but, hey..........if you want to do it, go for it. I'm thinking of doing the OPPOSITE. I have a 2000GT with only 18K miles on it....still smells new inside. I blew it up last month and think I will justdrop in a 2v a friend will sell me for $100 and sell it as a "mint 2000GT" with stock engine. Then I'll takemy 2v SOHC, with aluminum Teksid block, Cobra crank, Eagle H-rods, Prode dished pistons, P&P PI heads, Bullitt intake, 42 lb injectors, MSD 8 Stacker ignition, Aeromotive full fuel system, NX wet spray with intercooler fogger, Procharger P1SC, etc., BBK long tubes, Borla H-pipes, etc., etc.,and put it in a Fox (or Probe) body or one of those little T-birds.5L's are cheaper and easier to work on and can make tons of hp (and rwhp), but...like you say, do what rings your chimes! Don't worry about the ones who want to do what everybodyelse does. I'm 57 years old and can tell you that "normal" will get you nowhere in life. I've tried to opt for better, or at least......different. (BTW, my 2v makes 550 rwhp w/out the NOS and runs in the 11's)
Old 04-20-2007, 04:01 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

I can do it because I can! I know EXACTLY what my 306 does, because I BUILT IT!!! I know all of the specs, I know all of the abilities, Like I said above, I just want to be different. So spare me the differences between the two, and quit trying to flex your "knowledge", because your not impressing anyone! LOL....I just wanted to be an ***.. I am trying to convert it because I want a more up to date engine that realistically requires less maintanence than the 306. I know a 4.6 transplant may not sound like a good idea to most people, but hey, you don't know until you try! now, the engine wont be a 2v 260hp stock motor...not a chance in hell! It will have aftermarket heads, cams, porting, you know the standard stuff to go fast. I know, that with that done, it WILL out perform the 306, and coming in almost 1100 lbs lighter than a SN-95 chassis, it will out perform most of the cars out there too.
Don'tlet 'em get you down buddy! I do think sohc motors are more expensive and harder to work on, but, hey..........if you want to do it, go for it. I'm thinking of doing the OPPOSITE. I have a 2000GT with only 18K miles on it....still smells new inside. I blew it up last month and think I will justdrop in a 2v a friend will sell me for $100 and sell it as a "mint 2000GT" with stock engine. Then I'll takemy 2v SOHC, with aluminum Teksid block, Cobra crank, Eagle H-rods, Prode dished pistons, P&P PI heads, Bullitt intake, 42 lb injectors, MSD 8 Stacker ignition, Aeromotive full fuel system, NX wet spray with intercooler fogger, Procharger P1SC, etc., BBK long tubes, Borla H-pipes, etc., etc.,and put it in a Fox (or Probe) body or one of those little T-birds.5L's are cheaper and easier to work on and can make tons of hp (and rwhp), but...like you say, do what rings your chimes! Don't worry about the ones who want to do what everybodyelse does. I'm 57 years old and can tell you that "normal" will get you nowhere in life. I've tried to opt for better, or at least......different. (BTW, my 2v makes 550 rwhp w/out the NOS and runs in the 11's)
You can make power with the 2v, but you have a forged bottom end and forced induction. There is no way to make 380rwhp out of an NA 2V 4.6L. Its not possible right now.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:55 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

You can make power with the 2v, but you have a forged bottom end and forced induction. There is no way to make 380rwhp out of an NA 2V 4.6L. Its not possible right now.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Forced induction is the way to go with these cars.... I have said it many times before... and again I will say it!

PROCHARGER F T W ! ! ! !

as for the OG poster... if I were you I would not bother with the 2v... if you really have the money, and it really floats yer boat... go for it... otherwise I say through in a 4v! If you can get it to fit... still don't know why you want to... you said you wanted reliabillity if I am not mistaken... you can get whatever power you want out of a nice new 5.slow with all the reliabillity of the 4.6! I have seen those 5.0's take alot of abuse! If you want to build the 4.6 2v to the max like you said... how reliable do you expect THAT to be? To mess with computers, drivetrains, etc. I just dont see the risk/work/reward equation equalling out! Though if you do it, I definatley give you props!

I re-read your post... along the way I lost track of the OG question... I don't know of any websites... as I dont think it has been done before? As for fabrication... I dont kow the dimensions of the motor/demensions of the engine compartment... you will need to take measurements! As for Fab work... your looking at custom motor mounts, etc. I severely doubt there is a pre-fabbed kit for this setup!

Edit again... google is yer friend!

Here is one.. I didnt read it all.... but looks to be what you are looking for... http://modularfox.com/blogs/modular9...5/01/4718.aspx

eh... thats all i found so far[:@]
Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

also like he said modualrfox.com is the only website that i can think of off hand that deals with swapping in the SOHC and DOHC motors. but if your going to do a swap, want Horsepower why not swap in a ls1 motor?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ROFL.. wow did you just cease to have any cred whatsoever.

Starting from your rambling post, lets go thru your claims:

1. It is imposible to make that kind of power on a n/a 2v 4.6L engine. I have seen claims of close to this, but it was the defination of unstreetable, and I still don't buy it. The most I have seen from a credible source is 360 WHP... with a big bore kit, wild *** cams, high as hell compression, etc etc. Its a strip only setup, no hope of running it for any legnth of time on the street.

2. cams on a bone stock GT do jack. on a full boltons car your LUCKY to see 20-25 WHP. I went from 260 to 280 WHP with the stage 2 cams + springs and a tune, with full botlons (LTs, full exhaust, all intake boltons, underdrives etc)

3. Your numbers are out of this world high on a cams/heads only car. Cams/heads on a otherwise stock GT would be lucky (lucky) to break 250/260 WHP.

With full boltons, cams, ported heads, tune, and a stock shortblock yoru looking at 310/320 WHP.

Everything you claim is simply impossible. Your either completely full of **** and know it or you don't know it... but either way your full of ****.