4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 to a 5.0 stroker kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 to a 5.0 stroker kit

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: breagles

I put in a forged stroker that is twenty over and there is no difference in h.p. It will handle more h.p. but I don't think that it produces more h.p. sorry
If its only bored .020 over, then its not stroked. A stroker actually increases the length of the stroke therforre providing more displacement. You will see an increase. A guy on here with a red stang has a 5.1 stroker i believe.
breagles said he put a forged stroker kit in that was .020 over. I have a forged stroker kit that is .030 over. And no, it does almost nothing for power.

A stock stroke engine with the same mods as me will see damn near the same hp/tq numbers.
If its only bored .030 over then how is it a stroker? When you increase displacement, you will damn near ALWAYS gain torque. Stroking it to a 5.0 you should see around 40 rwhp and 40 ft/lbs.
What are you basing your numbers on? ZW99 does not see much if any torque gains over a setup like code's (non stroker).

The stroker kits just do not work as well on a 4.6 as on some other engines. You can see great gains from a 302 by going to a 347, or a 351 by stroking to a 408.. but look at the CI difference, its a ton.

Going from a 281 to a 302 is a whopping 21 ci. Its just not enough to make up for the longer stroke required that throws off the ratio of stroke to bore, it doesn't increase CI enough, and it just isn't as effective.

The stroker kits are simply not worth it. I have not heard of many/any disadvantages of one, other than expense (sometimes) but the gains are just not there. I have heard (but am not convicned) that the stroker kits will acutally support LESS rpm because of the increased stroke, but a stroker is not going to acutally increase the power you can safely make (aka the power limit of the block).
Mitch has how much into his car now? Im pretty sure ZW doesnt have all of the crazy add-ons that mitch does. Also, the compression ratios could be different. Different builds always produce different numbers.

Also, I never said it would increase the power you can safely make. I have no clue on that aside from the fact that its forged internals, the block will still limit the power as always.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I put in a forged stroker that is twenty over and there is no difference in h.p. It will handle more h.p. but I don't think that it produces more h.p. sorry
If its only bored .020 over, then its not stroked. A stroker actually increases the length of the stroke therforre providing more displacement. You will see an increase. A guy on here with a red stang has a 5.1 stroker i believe.
breagles said he put a forged stroker kit in that was .020 over. I have a forged stroker kit that is .030 over. And no, it does almost nothing for power.

A stock stroke engine with the same mods as me will see damn near the same hp/tq numbers.
If its only bored .030 over then how is it a stroker? When you increase displacement, you will damn near ALWAYS gain torque. Stroking it to a 5.0 you should see around 40 rwhp and 40 ft/lbs.

ITS A STROKER KIT!!!!!!!!!

It has a 3.75in crankshaft. The fact that its bored over has NOTHING to do with it. "Stroker Kit" would simpliy imply an increase in stroke.

40hp/40tq is just out of this world rediculous.

In case you've missed my mod list, its H/C/I, full bolt on, 11:1 C/R, just to get to 328rwhp.

H/C/I full bolt on a 4.6 would beeeeeeeeeee, damn close. And Code has a better intake than me, and LT headers. If I had a P-51, or the HPS intake, and BBK LT's, then I'd be right close to him.WHY? B/C we have similar mods. Not b/c I have a 3.75in crank compared to his 3.55.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

It has a 3.75in crankshaft. The fact that its bored over has NOTHING to do with it. "Stroker Kit" would simpliy imply an increase in stroke.

In case you've missed my mod list, its H/C/I, full bolt on, 11:1 C/R, just to get to 328rwhp.

H/C/I full bolt on a 4.6 would beeeeeeeeeee, damn close. And Code has a better intake than me, and LT headers. If I had a P-51, or the HPS intake, and BBK LT's, then I'd be right close to him.WHY? B/C we have similar mods. Not b/c I have a 3.75in crank compared to his 3.55.
Thats exactly what I said...

I didnt make up the numbers, the builders did. Quick question, why are you running a heads and cam setup without LT's? You like choking your motor eh? You dominatrix you! Seriously, those are killing your numbers. You would probably be close to the 350 mark just by switching out to LTs.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Thats exactly what I said...

I didnt make up the numbers, the builders did. Quick question, why are you running a heads and cam setup without LT's? You like choking your motor eh? You dominatrix you! Seriously, those are killing your numbers. You would probably be close to the 350 mark just by switching out to LTs.
I know you thats what you said, but breagles said he had a stroker kit in the first place. lol. Nevermind.

The Headers are a touchy subject. I just haven't had the extra $1000 lying around to buy/install them. I've been pouring money into the nitrous kit and tires so far. It had shorties on it when I bought it. I've only had the car for 4 months, so I'm working on it. If I ever win the lottery, or round up a bunch of cash, I'll get them.

The only problem is that I'll have to spend $200 on top of that for a retune[&:]
Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

I know you thats what you said, but breagles said he had a stroker kit in the first place. lol. Nevermind.

The Headers are a touchy subject. I just haven't had the extra $1000 lying around to buy/install them. I've been pouring money into the nitrous kit and tires so far. It had shorties on it when I bought it. I've only had the car for 4 months, so I'm working on it. If I ever win the lottery, or round up a bunch of cash, I'll get them.

The only problem is that I'll have to spend $200 on top of that for a retune[&:]
200 for a retune eh? That sucks. Vengeance Racing in Georgia charges $450 for N/A and 550 for F/I. But that covers anything else you want tuned later. I.E. You get it tuned with just bolt ons, if you add cams/heads later, its free to get retuned.

Id say the nitrous was worth it since you will see much higher numbers out of it than you will with the headers. But I could see you passing Codes N/A mark in the near future...
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

200 for a retune eh? That sucks. Vengeance Racing in Georgia charges $450 for N/A and 550 for F/I. But that covers anything else you want tuned later. I.E. You get it tuned with just bolt ons, if you add cams/heads later, its free to get retuned.

Id say the nitrous was worth it since you will see much higher numbers out of it than you will with the headers. But I could see you passing Codes N/A mark in the near future...
On the dyno? Maybe. At the track? NOT. not until It's a weekend race car instead of a DD, if ever.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

On the dyno? Maybe. At the track? NOT. not until It's a weekend race car instead of a DD, if ever.
Lol, DYNO**.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 AM
breagles
2nd Gear Member

Look Matt it's a stroker because chp and probe industries says it is . The forged rods and crank are a different stroke 3.75 . The PISTONS are 20 over . bore size and they have 18cc dish so the compression is lower 9.5:1 so I think if I didn't have the charger I would actually see a decrease in h.p.I wouldn't lie to you about owning a stroker .
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Simply put, the stroker kits do not develop the numbers you are stating. Your not even going to see a 40 WHP difference going from a stock shortblock to the stroker, let alone comparing stroker to a stock displacement aftermarket block.

It just doesn't happen. The gains are minimal, and its not worth any extra expense. Big bore or just stick to the stock (or close) displacement.. there are more advantages than disadvantages.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

theoretically guys.....if you had a 5.4 block (330ci if i remember correct) like out of a lightning orjust a new shortblock and did the 3.75 stroke...it would be right near 351ci correct?

that would hafta make qutie a bit more power than a 281 4.6 right? or am i way off?

given you'd still have the ever-so-wonderful 2V heads....just wonderin