4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Running HOTT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:39 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Running HOTT!

I just cant figure out why my car runs hott! When its hot outside and i'm driving my temp gauge gets up to the A and the L on NORMAL and thats without AC. I have my fans on all the time, i put my fans direct, i replaced the radiator, and i'm not running a t-stat! i have a 160t-stat laying aroundshould i try putting it in? becuase i've tried before and its useless
Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Running HOTT!

i'm not sure i'd go w/ a 160 degree t-stat, from what i've read that's a little too cool to be running. I think a 180 would be safe. Is it running that hot when you're driving or when you've been stopped for a while? What kind of mixture is your anti-freeze/water ratio?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

50/50 mix
Old 05-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Pest007
2nd Gear Member

I know on some cars, if you don't run a t-stat that when the car is cruisin, the water pumps too fast, and doesn't allow the radiator to cool the water fast enough, therefore just putting hot coolant back into the engine. I'd run the 180 on these mod motors, not worth the associated problems for just 1-2hp more running "cooler"
Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

i usually run a 60/40 water to coolant mix b/c it doesn't get too cold her in the winter, but i know some guys in the hotter states like florida and tx run their water/coolant 70/30 or 80/20 because water is supposed to help the car run a little cooler than coolant will. There is also a product called "water wetter" that you can buy at auto zone, advance auto parts, etc that may help you out. Have you done a complete flush and fill lately? You may wanna give that a try too.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

i have had it flushed and filled everything seems to be fine! from what my understanding is t-stats are just restrictive and there only use is for getting the desired temp on cold starts. becuase if you have a 180 t-stat or what ever degree t-stat you run that means the t-stat opens up at 180 degrees, so if a normal operating car temp is suppose to be around 210 degreesthen the t-stat is always open so it really wouldnt make a difference if i ran one or not. The reason why t-stats fail and cars overheat is becuase it stays shut preventing to water to circulate through the radiator. so i have to clue what else to do! -correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pest007

I know on some cars, if you don't run a t-stat that when the car is cruisin, the water pumps too fast, and doesn't allow the radiator to cool the water fast enough, therefore just putting hot coolant back into the engine. I'd run the 180 on these mod motors, not worth the associated problems for just 1-2hp more running "cooler"
You are absolutly correct.

ORIGINAL: badboystangGT

i have had it flushed and filled everything seems to be fine! from what my understanding is t-stats are just restrictive and there only use is for getting the desired temp on cold starts. becuase if you have a 180 t-stat or what ever degree t-stat you run that means the t-stat opens up at 180 degrees, so if a normal operating car temp is suppose to be around 210 degreesthen the t-stat is always open so it really wouldnt make a difference if i ran one or not. The reason why t-stats fail and cars overheat is becuase it stays shut preventing to water to circulate through the radiator. so i have to clue what else to do! -correct me if i'm wrong.
That is not the case. When you car is running the radiator cools below your 180*. When the t-stat opens all of the "cold" coolant rushes in and shuts the t-stat. then the hot coolant in the radiator is cooling to below 180*, so on and so on.
As stated above, the coolant inside you radiator does not have enough time to cool to the temp it needs to be. So eventually all of the coolant will be the same temp and no longer cool.
-P.